PDA

View Full Version : Active Camera Zoom better?

chuckerii
03-31-2006, 12:09 AM
I have not used the Active Camera much in AE and had a question about zooming. Is there any difference in the quality of your image if you zoom/truck the Active Camera vs. just scaling the image without using an Active Camera? Pixels are pixels, right? No matter how you stretch them - they will distort. My friend swears he gets a crisp image when trucking the camera in on his image as opposed to just scaling the image. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks.

Chucker

Mylenium
03-31-2006, 04:33 AM
I have not used the Active Camera much in AE and had a question about zooming. Is there any difference in the quality of your image if you zoom/truck the Active Camera vs. just scaling the image without using an Active Camera? Pixels are pixels, right? No matter how you stretch them - they will distort. My friend swears he gets a crisp image when trucking the camera in on his image as opposed to just scaling the image. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks.

Chucker

Huh? I think your friend is confusing things as are you to some degree. What you are doing is comparing apples with pears, so to speak (no offence). There is a major difference in how 3D layers (the ones you can dolly in) are treated compared to normal 2D layers, so no, in that case pixel != pixel.

3D layers use multi-sample filtering and not just AE's simple bilenear interpolation. In practice this means that 3D layers should/ could yield more precise results when resizing layers, but in case of AE this is a very theoretical thing. Since AE applies its filtering to the entire layer and not adaptively, most of the time it actually means that your layer looks worse as a 3D layer because it's softened even more than a 2D layer. It will only look better in rare cases and this can more or less only be attributed to how the human eye perceives such things - because the 3D layer is sampled this way, the brightness is spread more evenly which makes it look smoother, but technically it's not "better".

I'm not saying your freind's workflow is wrong, but it's not doing miracles either. In addition to that you have to ask yourself, why you would want to go thru such lengths as to turn your comp into a 3D comp (with all the excess baggage such as longer render times) every time for such a minor difference. Lastly, if you really want quality scaling/ resizing, you should look into getting proper tools for that such as Digital Anarchy's Resizer plugin.

Mylenium

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2006, 04:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.