PDA

View Full Version : FG linking ?

its837
03-30-2006, 07:14 PM
is there any way to link final gather objects like the way you would light link normally in maya ?
like if i have an object givvin off a lot of light and i don't want it to light another object ?

thanks
- hamburger

NordicPolygons
11-03-2006, 11:48 AM
I have a similiar question. I have a room that I want to partly light up with final gather. My normal way of lightning things with FG is that I set up a color in the enviromentnode in the camera settings and then hit render! But now I have a ceiling in my room so no finalgather rays can come through. I've checked the mentalray tab on my polygonobject and clicked off finalgather recieve and cast but there's still no light coming through. If I delete my ceiling everything looks great, but I want it there so it can be reflected.
So is there a way to make it let through fg rays?

Ash-Man
11-03-2006, 01:32 PM
well u can use render layers
place the object that you want in one layer and give the render override the mental ray setting of your choice

NordicPolygons
11-03-2006, 07:24 PM
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the render layers settings. I have made a new render layer and added my object in it. Am I supposed to override something in the attributes of that layer? I can't seem to find anything that would help me.

its837
11-03-2006, 08:52 PM
can't you just make your walls and cieling not be double sided
so they let rays in but don't let them out

NordicPolygons
11-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks but it didn't work.

Ash-Man
11-04-2006, 02:21 AM
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the render layers settings. I have made a new render layer and added my object in it. Am I supposed to override something in the attributes of that layer? I can't seem to find anything that would help me.

you can watch my video tutorial :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-04-2006, 02:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.