PDA

View Full Version : critique: jumping character

d_jnaneswar
12-26-2002, 12:22 AM
hi guys,

I did this animation in Maya, took 4 hrs.
go to this page to access the animation clips.
and while crit, be picky please.

thanks.

http://the3dguy.20m.com

srv
12-26-2002, 03:55 AM
Hey,
looks good.
I think it needs some counter-balance on the right arm/hand - as the left arm/hand goes down the right should go up
Delay on head and hands
lift one leg (left maybe) before the othe and have it land before the other also
anticipation on jump - make it stronger by compressing character more - e.g. bow head
compress character more on landing - and maybe stretch character just prior to landing
This is a neat little tut on cartoon jumping from AWN
Larry's Toon Institute (http://www.awn.com/tooninstitute/lessonplan/animate.htm)

d_jnaneswar
12-27-2002, 06:45 PM
hi there.
thankx for the crit. it was a good one. i checked out the link a long time ago and practised with it before i bought "animators survival kit" by richard williams. but the squash/stretch thing doesnt work out in my simple char setup. it might sound like stupid reasoning, but im not defending. i very much appreciate what you wrote and do accept that i was caught on wrong foot not squashing and stretching on the head and the trunk. i will try to get it right by tomorrow. thanks srv. i found out the counterbalance thing myself and will correct it myself. thanks srv. please do crit on my next upload. people like you are great for upcoming animators like me.

and guys, one more thing. is there a cool place for downloading characters that are setup already? i mean, i would like some practise characters that are well setup. is there any such place for downloading maya files? i have this cowboy downloaded from aliaswavefront. he seems too realistic for disney-esc animation. i use maya. im not good at rigging especially because, i enjoy animating a lot more. i unconsciously, if not willingly run across the rigging phase hastily. please help me out. now i understand the quote, "a good rig can make or break your career".

thanks once again srv.

srv
12-28-2002, 09:04 AM
Hey,
no probs, I enjoy critiquing others animations as it makes me think about the animation process.
Remember to take everything anyone tells you with a grain of salt though as I don't think anyone has all the answers, except for maybe Brad Bird:cool:
Check out
Mark Behm's (http://www.markbehm.com/)
Autorig script for a very cool rig.
Actually check out all his stuff, amazing:thumbsup:

Phearielord
12-28-2002, 10:28 AM
hey

It looks very nice.
Only a few things I would have changed.

When he reaches his highest point, I think he hangs there for a split second too long.
Make him come down a frame or two earlier.

And when he lands, he doesn't quite look heavy enough.
I think you should just adjust your curves.
No easing out of the motion.

other than that, its quite nice

eek
12-28-2002, 06:39 PM
Hey d_jnaneswar,

Hows it coming along?I had a go at it as well,
done in max just a quick test!
right-click:- save target as
http://www.geocities.com/nette_pictures/mmm.avi

eek

StateTheObvious
12-28-2002, 10:44 PM
Is he jumping to get away from gravity, timing and weight?

thesaint
12-29-2002, 11:36 PM
I always have an opinion! So here it is.

The hang at the top is fine, but let me get to that.
Firstly, may i remind you that this is just my opinion, even though i may sound like i am telling you what to do!

The anticipation at the start is too weak. The arms need to go back, the head needs to go down further and the 'spring' needs to coil more tightly.

The hang at the top is essentialy your 'pose' so the count up there can be a little longer than gravity alone would prescribe, but remember, the idea is to get into a strong pose (stretch in this case) and then make it stronger! He really needs to reach for that ball, extend the arm, let the feet tuck in behind and as he hangs there let the feet tuck even further back and have the fingers reach and almost hyper-extend.

Then, on the way down let the feet lead the anticipation to hitting the ground. When he finally hits let the compression start there and move up until he is as squashed as he is in the first of the sequence.

Hope all that made sense -- basically you are on the right track, you just need more!! good work so far, i like it.

D

r_animosity
01-02-2003, 02:44 PM
hey d_jnaneswar,

the stuff's impressive and guess what i ve started to work on the jump too with the almost the same idea..its only about time that u see it...the only point i would like to mention is that the char. doesnt look desperate enuf to get what hes jumpin for

plus..the other day i bought animation survival toolkit by richard williams ..i think hes kewl...

o i forgot to mention.

im RAHUL from hyderabad(old pal)
dwarak wassup

raul

d_jnaneswar
01-02-2003, 08:25 PM
hi ya guys,
i just uploaded an update. please see and critique. great reply saint. be picky with me. i really want to improve. ;)

hiya rahul,
welcome aboard. this one here is a great forum with great people. check out maya tuts section in the maya forum. good luck ta ya. great that you bought that book. guess what... i lost my copy (is that a coincidence?) in a train. i took it along to read it and then forgot to pick up when getting down. :( . i will see if i can buy a new one.

thanks guys...

here's the link:
http://the3dguy.20m.com/jump.avi

if the link doesnt work, just go to
http://the3dguy.20m.com

theres a link to the file from there.
eek:
good one there. biped is a boon in 3dsmax.. and also the ikjoe. i dont have that privilage. some good rigs as suggested by srv though.

nice animation... but i think it lacks some of what mine lacked. i mean...i feel it needs more anticipation. and just a bit more snappy and it just looks great. thats just my opinion though. crit on my new file.

seeya guys! happy new year to you all.

Rogue
01-02-2003, 10:24 PM
Looks pretty good. Couple things though..

I think it could use a good dose of anticipation for the jump. Make his waist go down more and bend him forward. Pull the upperarms way back and the forearms in. Hold him in that pose for a moment and then jump. I'm just not getting a feel for the energy involved in the jump...these things will help that out.

His right arm should change positions at the top of his motion. It's there to counter balance the other arm, so bring it up and out a bit.

When he lands, have one foot further ahead of the other one. Have him land on one first, then use the other to stop his forward momentum by landing a tiny bit later and farther in front of the already placed foot.

You can also keep his arms in a lifted postion before he hits the ground. Then have them fall to the side with some overshoot when he lands. It'll give it some fluidity and make the pose a little more dynamic.

Keep it up! Post some more updates....

d_jnaneswar
01-03-2003, 06:17 PM
thanks rogue for the comments. what you suggested is great. i will try that. i will upload again in a couple of days.

thanks ya guys!

Mangaka604
01-07-2003, 10:14 PM
Your animation is a good start and it can easily be better (that's a good thing). I feel as if your anticipation isn't as strong as it could be. Right now, when he crouches down before he jumps, his head looks down at his feet. I think that when you are trying to reach for something higher, wouldn't you keep your eyes on the object you're trying to get??? It's like anything, whether driving a car or cutting wood with a saw, you look where you want to go. I think if you just leave the head looking up at the target, it would look much stronger.

Secondly, I think you could hold both the anticipation pose and the "hang" pose in the air a bit longer (say 5 frames?) That way, the anticipation will have more stored energy in it and the extra hang time will exaggerate the futility of the character's attempt.

Hope it helps! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.