PDA

View Full Version : painting skin weights

jameswillis
03-30-2006, 02:28 PM
OOOK i am have a problem painting the weights on one of my models for some reason they are not working right i can paint one all white and then go to another and go back to the one i have painted and it is not painted anymore and it is painted on parts that it dose not need and if you try to get rid of them the mesh will go all over and go crasy.

schobes
03-31-2006, 08:44 AM
What software package are you using?

If you are using Maya, here are some suggestions...

If you haven't already done so, make sure there is no history on your model before you bind skin. (If you are using maya7, and you don't want to unbind your skin to delete history, i think you can delete all non-deformer history)

Are you using the smooth brush at all when painting weights? If so, you need to make sure that you toggle weights on and off, because if you don't, the weight will go places you didn't expect.

Lastly... if you don't get a good initial bind on your skin.. and the weight is really all over the place, i would suggest starting at the top of the hierarchy and work your way down by selecting all the verts below each joint and doing a flood. That way, you know exactly where the weight is going.

Hope this helps...

LordMcGoat
03-31-2006, 03:15 PM
Are you using any influence objects? I've had this problem before where I'd painted wieghts too highly on the influences, and there was no longer any weighting on a bone. Then it won't let you paint any weighting onto bones.

nottoshabi
03-31-2006, 07:17 PM
If your using maya use this workflow and you will never have this problem again.

1 delete history before binding.
2 after binding prune all weights with the vallue of .1
3 always ADD, always. Never use smoth or scale or replace unless you know how to use this tool.
4 keep practicing.

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2006, 07:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.