PDA

View Full Version : too less movie-like!

sequenzer
12-25-2002, 09:34 PM
can someone please tell me how to make this image more "filmic"?
I'm working on an animation but it does'nt quite look like a film, you can really tell it's cg. I've tweaked with the lightning alot and the texturing is pretty good.
I've compared the animation with another clip & you can really tell that one's much more movie-like.
If you wanna help, I would prefer if you're in the VFX industri.
the software I've used is 3DsMax 4.0. I have used LightWave 7.5 also but it's the same there.

thesaint
12-31-2002, 11:34 PM
Here are a few pointers, i'm crushed for time, so they'll be quick. If you need more help, let me know, i'll get back with you.

1) The black is too black. Try lifting it a touch. Dont slide back into grey, head off to a cool or warm color as you pull back.

2) The shadows are too deep and hard. Very few shadows hit into that kind of denseness, and when they do we normally pull them back. Shadows often have a touch, a merest trace of some color in them, try purple. But only a hint.

3) The lighting is a little flat too. Try a rim light to pick out the edge, try something that will seperate the object from the background, that would be the goal. Think about how many light sources are in space!!

4) You could make the stars in the background a little bolder, unles it is just the compression.

gotta shoot. Wish i had more time for ya! Good Luck.

PS LIghts use a soft blue, on slightly warmer and then try and balance with lights that split the difference. Never use a white light. Opal would be good color to split the difference with.

I'll send you some RGB values when i get a mo

sequenzer
01-01-2003, 02:10 AM
thnx man, I apprichiate that! right now I'm at a new years eve-party, but tomorrow I'll definetly tweak with my scene.
good thing I got an advice from a pro.

P.S I'm aware of the misspelling! :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.