PDA

View Full Version : Compaq with Athlon64 3800+

Diazepam
03-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Hi guys,

A while back, I asked you nice folks on advice on machine specs - here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=332964)

Now, after doing some research I've found that HP/Compaq offers an Athlon64 3800+ desktop ( Compaq Presario SR1760CF) with a promotional price that is pretty hard to beat (from my geographical location anyways :P). Couple this with the fact that I'm kinda juggling 3 projects right now (good start!) and don't have the time to build the earlier rig (like my initial idea in the other thread), I figured it'll be better to just get a pre-built rig that would be stable enough to jump straight into the work for now, and upgrade as the need arises.

My only concern are these that the Compaq is specced with it:

1. Amethyst Motherboard, ATi RS482/SB400 Chipset
2. ATI Radeon X1300 Pro PCI-Express Gfx 256MB (TV-out & DVI capabilities)

I don't mind trying to use the Radeon for 6 months or so, before reviewing a need for an upgrade, but what do you guys think? I have no idea on what the Amethyst motherboard is capable of.

Or is getting a Dell, PentiumD 930 dual core (*groan*) a better option when compared to the Compaq?

Thanks, once again!

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2006, 08:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.