PDA

View Full Version : -logo- BlenderGames.com

KotsVlok
12-25-2002, 06:20 PM
Hi there,

A friend of mine and myself are busy on a website that is all about games that are developed with Blender (http://www.blender.org).

We are re-designing very hard at the moment, i made a logo.

Before i show the logo i made, first have a look at the original blender logo: http://www.gameoefter.org/images/blender_logo.gif

And now watch my version 4 the BlenderGames.com website:
http://members.lycos.nl/kotsvlok/bglogo.jpg
The emboss, shading, lighting, cluods and stuff is not certain if we're gonna keep that.

I would like some C&C :thumpsup:

Nedim_S
12-26-2002, 12:46 AM
I don't like it much. Why? I couldn't explain it!

MrPunkin
12-26-2002, 01:25 AM
its not very interesting to me... and looks ameteur with the clouds to me.

Ian Jones
12-26-2002, 02:54 AM
Yeah... I don't like it much either. It will be really hard to see when you scale it down, think about the www text... it will be a blurry mess when you shrink it all down to fit on the webpage.

Even at this size that www text is far to clsoe to the edge of the logo, making it look cluttered.

I would suggest you work on the shape before you add any chrome or other fx. Getting the shape and form of a logo just right is far more important than tweaking the filter settings.

Look very carefully at the orginal blender logo. Consider its shapes and even the font used for the text. Try and relate these facts back to your design. You have kept some of the elements like the circle and the round ended lines. The 90 degree corners on the G of your logo don't relate very well to the original blender logo. Try making a better and clearer form that is a little more sympathetic with the style and movement of the original. Try using the same 'weight' of line (thickness) as used in the orginal. Colour is not so important as the shape but it could be used to tie the two together a bit more.

Contradicting what I was just saying about making it as similar as possible though....you may also have to be careful not too copy too much, considering that the blender logo is probably copyrighted.

I Hope that helps.

natski
12-29-2002, 03:23 AM
I like the idea of the b and g shapes merging. At the moment I think it's too angular though. Maybe you could try something like this.
http://www.soupmedia.com.au/misc/bg_logo.jpg

KotsVlok
12-29-2002, 07:54 PM
@Ian Jones:Hmm..yes, now that you're mentioning all those aspects, i must say that youre 100% right

But about the URL in the logo, that is a thing that i already wanted out, 'cuz indeed...it's gonna fade all away once i scale the logo down.

//Your always a big help to me :thumbsup:

@Natski: That's a nice design of the B and G you have there...that one has inspired me, thanks! :thumbsup:

tozkera
12-29-2002, 10:12 PM
remember, simpler logos are always better. they are 'catchier'. i liked the 1st logo, cuz its simple and clean. for a logo, it aint that good to do something fancy. :shrug:

Stroker
12-29-2002, 11:55 PM
Yes, simple is good.

Here's a quick b&w that kept me busy for a few minutes.
blah blah blah

tozkera
12-30-2002, 03:27 AM
i really dug the strokes logo.

bigyou
12-31-2002, 03:10 AM
personnaly, i think the old blender logo is better.
try doing it in vector, it will be more flexible that way than if you do it in pixels.

i like the first one better because its more subtil. im pretty sure that if you keep it and just work the typography a little bit than you'll get a pretty good looking logo that will have a very professionnal look

fig
12-31-2002, 03:00 PM
good comments so far. i especially agree with bigyou, design it in vector first (i.e. illustrator) and i'd even go so far as to say just do black and white, no bevels or effects or anything. get your basic form and see how it reads just by itself, then worry about colors, etc.

also, get away from the b and g. "blender" presents a huge array of design ideas: an actual blender, a blender's blade, a tornado-like shape, different forms "blended" together...there's lots of interesting possibilities. it's about games, it should be fun and not corporate-looking. get a sheet of paper and write down "blender" and then just list everything blender-related you can think of. then do the same for games. see what terms you've got that might be able to connect somehow, are related, crossover, etc. explore some of those and you'll have something more fun, memorable and interesting. its

chris

KotsVlok
12-31-2002, 04:54 PM
Hmmm...yes, thank you all for your advice!
It's really helping me allot in designing a new logo :beer:

Stroker
12-31-2002, 10:52 PM
I hate threads like this because they make me think about things.
Think yin/yang.
Think gemini.
Think recycle.
Think mobius strip.
A triangle with extruded legs in an eyeball.
A triangle with extruded legs in the palm of a hand.

You know, symbols that suggest a spinning motion.

Anyways, just for fun:
Sloganize Blender Games (http://thesurrealist.co.uk/slogan.cgi?word=blender+games)

bigyou
01-03-2003, 03:52 AM
i would just want to add that, in a certain way, you must be patient. because designing a logo isnt an easy task at all.

have you worked on it so far ?
i'm pretty sure youre doing well !!!

KotsVlok
01-04-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by bigyou
i would just want to add that, in a certain way, you must be patient. because designing a logo isnt an easy task at all.

have you worked on it so far ?
i'm pretty sure youre doing well !!!
Indeed!

I am a n00b in all this, and i want to learn it because i love designing things.
The work i'm showing now may suck a$$, but i'm learning harder and harder while designing. And all your comments are helping me very hard.
Things like what i have to look out 4, things that i must keep in mind etc...etc..

And yes, i have worked on it.
But now it is all crap at the time, i'm re-designing very hard.
But it is hard 4 me to design a simple yet decent logo that is a bit 'eye-catchy'. I don't want to make a logo that makes people think 'What does that one reminds me of'.

Conclusion: I'm working very very hard to improve my skills to get a bit better every time :)

bigyou
01-04-2003, 03:00 PM
:thumbsup: keep going pal :thumbsup:

KotsVlok
01-04-2003, 05:52 PM
Thnx m8 :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.