PDA

View Full Version : Drag 'n' drop file SEQUENCE into AE? (win xp)

jussing
03-30-2006, 07:30 AM
Hey all,

I often need to load a PNG/TGA sequence into AE, but the directories are always different, and beyond lots of network sub-directories, so it requires lots of clicking to get there.

It would be easier if I could drag 'n' drop the files from Explorer, but I can't seem to do that and make AE register it as one sequence...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

Cheers all,
- Jonas

Mylenium
03-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Hey all,

I often need to load a PNG/TGA sequence into AE, but the directories are always different, and beyond lots of network sub-directories, so it requires lots of clicking to get there.

It would be easier if I could drag 'n' drop the files from Explorer, but I can't seem to do that and make AE register it as one sequence...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

Cheers all,
- Jonas

Mmh, have you tried the smart import script? There's also a somewhat beefed up version on AEnhancers. They will scan your directories (including sub folders) and are able to detect file sequences. Not exactly drag&drop, but perhaps more practical than the standard import.

Mylenium

scrimski
03-30-2006, 07:43 AM
Would copying it into one folder and importing all the stuff as one sequence be an option?
You will have to split the layer for that sequence when used in a comp and then maybe precompose it to make the the In/Out handles unaccessable for accidental change, but since you know how much frames each sequence has you could jump to that frame via CRTL+G.

avinashlobo
03-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Drag the folder into the Project window. Just make sure the folder contains only the image sequence.

This works in 6.5 & 7. Don't know about earlier versions.

On a side note, it's not entirely advisable to work with source files over a network. You might want to make local copies first.

jussing
03-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks everyone for fast answers! :thumbsup:

This is the way to fly:

Drag the folder into the Project window. Just make sure the folder contains only the image sequence.

So simple... :blush:

Cheers,
- Jonas

avinashlobo
03-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks everyone for fast answers! :thumbsup:

This is the way to fly:

So simple... :blush:

Cheers,
- JonasGlad to help. I only discovered this myself when I got AE7 and was kicking myself when I tried it with 6.5 and discovered that it worked over there too! Until that time I was copy/pasting the file path from Windows Explorer into the AE import dialog. Damn! All those wasted clicks/key presses... :cry:

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2006, 01:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.