PDA

View Full Version : Track Time vs. Expression & Wiring

Illusion-shadow
03-30-2006, 04:56 AM
I have a question with the track time and float expression in Max. I have heard a lot of people talking about when you starting wiring your rig or setting up IK, you should set the range of your time track to like -1000 to 10000. If not, the rig will start acting pretty strange or things will not work correctly. The same goes to setting up Expression. How do I fix that? I try rescaling the time in the Time configuration, but if I already have aniamtion, it will scale the aniamtion. I know I can save the aniamtion, then rescale the time and then load the animation back in, but is there another way?

eek
03-30-2006, 05:23 AM
Its for wire parameters only. Script controllers and expressions work on any range. But wire parameters work in the range they where made. But i could be wrong, i always rig -10000 to 10000.

So go into your graph editor and extend the objects with the wire parameter controller. Not in f-curve but just the time ranges.

ik is independant too.

Illusion-shadow
03-30-2006, 02:30 PM
eek, it's not working. Or may be I am not undering what I should be doing. I went to the curve editor and change it to dope sheet and try to adjust the range. the start and the end slider, right? Also, right now, I am using the Pen Attribute Holder to do my finger roll set up. When I have the animation button on, and if I change the value of the slider, the finger will not move, but when I turn it off and change the value, the finger will move with the slider. I am thinking this is the time range vs. wiring we were talking about. Can you explain how to slove this issue in a little more detail? Thanks!

eek
03-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Hmmm... that sounds odd. A CA slider not working with animate on and working when its off! Its not the dopesheet or f-curve its a standard trackview with "Edit Ranges" on. You extend the ranges of the controller. (black line with white boxes at the ends)

How exactly did you set it up? Add Attribute Holder > Pen's Tool, then a bunch of sliders via the parameter editor?

How did you wire up the parameters to the slider, did you go to the controller then the slider?

Whatever the time range, it should not affect how the animate mode affects the slider, there's something else going on here i think.

Illusion-shadow
03-30-2006, 03:49 PM
I am using the Penn attribute holder and set up the finger roll slider by using ca script. I try to mess with a couple of files I was working in before "The WIP File", they seem to be working fine. I but the one that I am skinning now don't seem to be working correctly. And the strange thing is that one hand work and the other don't. Did you wan to see the file? I can send you the file if you want to take a look at it. Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2006, 03:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.