PDA

View Full Version : Looking for upgrades.

stoopiddonky
12-25-2002, 03:05 PM
Alright, here's my setup, and im looking for the most signifigant upgrade that will boost performance (sadly, its a dell :()
P4 1.3 ghz
256 Rdram
80gig ata 7200
Geforce 2 GTS/Pro (32mb)

What do you guys think would boost performance most?

Im thinking getting a new graphics card or memory...

Thanks!

MadMax
12-25-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by stoopiddonky
Alright, here's my setup, and im looking for the most signifigant upgrade that will boost performance (sadly, its a dell :()
P4 1.3 ghz
256 Rdram
80gig ata 7200
Geforce 2 GTS/Pro (32mb)

What do you guys think would boost performance most?

Im thinking getting a new graphics card or memory...

Thanks!

boy that's a tough one..........

I hate to say it but a new computer would be your best bet.

Rdram is as dead as you can get, no future there. Dell's just are not very upgradeable due to proprietary to dell bios that won't allow things like CPU upgrades, at least last I heard........

Dude, you need to dump a Dell......

stoopiddonky
12-25-2002, 08:19 PM
Yeah, i was thinking about it, but i dont have the money. :(

elvis
12-26-2002, 11:57 AM
here's my short-term advice:

keep the hard disk and video card from the current system, and try to build a new system around it. mid-range athlon systems are quite cheap, and the geforce2 could be softquadro'ed in the meantime if you want to save some money there.

the old components could be happily converted into a render-node for existing software, given the technical know-how. if that is too much, perhaps consider selling the old bits for some extra cash?

other than what i mentioned, you're really not going to be able to salvage any of those old parts.

GregHess
12-26-2002, 04:06 PM
The Pentium 4 1.3 is quite possibly the slowest processor ever designed and executed by intel.

On average a single Gigahertz (1000 megahertz) Pentium III will match or exceed the performance of a 1.5 P4, as long as SSE2 isn't full utilizied by the system. This of course means a 1.3 P4 would be pretty much equivilant to a Pentium III 733. UG.

Follow elvis's advice. You pretty much need an entirely new system.

stoopiddonky
12-27-2002, 10:39 AM
Yeah yeah yeah, i know its a crappy cpu...but im not looking for critique, im looking for suggestions. And i dont have the cash to buy a new computer, i already looked into prices, and i wont get anything much better than what i have now.

But one question, what do you mean by "softquadro'ed"? Is it some hack, or just using coolbits to overclock it?

Gyan
12-27-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by stoopiddonky
Yeah yeah yeah, i know its a crappy cpu...but im not looking for critique, im looking for suggestions. And i dont have the cash to buy a new computer, i already looked into prices, and i wont get anything much better than what i have now.

But one question, what do you mean by "softquadro'ed"? Is it some hack, or just using coolbits to overclock it?

Go to http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner

SoftQuadro is a software hack to be used in conjunction with RivaTuner.

After applying the SoftQuadro hack, you can then install Quadro drivers for your Geforce card. This gives you some extra and debatable performance increase in your 3D apps depending on your base hardware setup and settings.

stoopiddonky
12-27-2002, 02:30 PM
Thanks! I gave it a shot, and got a slight (3%) increase in rendering.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.