PDA

View Full Version : Character Update 2

DickM
03-30-2006, 03:25 AM
Hey Guys
Okay, here's another update to my character. After I got the hand rig working just right, I had an urge for more slider controls within the camera view port. This is my first XP script from scratch ..... or close to ;)
Cj told me it was possible to do, so I tried it. I have slider controls now to control the morph targets. I never have to leave the viewports now. The facial rig controller is linked to the "face" camera. It now appears that the controls are part of the GUI! :)

I've only got a few of the morph targets finished. I have another 6 or 7 left to add.

Anyway, take a look.

http://www.morleyarts.com/post/facial-rig.mov

AVTPro
03-30-2006, 03:52 AM
Really nice job.keep pushing man, it's beautiful.

yhloon
03-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Hi, Richard

:applause: very nice! thanks for sharing. I've work on something similar few months ago, (surely yours is much better than mine) where I plan to do a short movie for myself, but the project stop at the moment, the reason is...lazzzzy :D

maybe you can check on this guy's reel, he use ProjectMessiah, I try to replicate the similar controller in to EI but....:sad:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=284907&highlight=Marek+Schneider+reel

this guy is really good in rigging, (or messiah rig tool is much better than EI?) maybe you can came out similar with EI?

:)
Loon

DickM
03-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks Loon
Yeah, I've seen that real before. Very impressive. A lot of those rigs are procedural with dynamics, bone stretching, and spline IK. I'm sure XP could handle some of it, but not all. To be totally honest, I don't know enough about XP at this point to answer you fully. The wings on the bird for instance. The feathers spreading out as the bones reach certain angles, I'm sure XP with some good programming could pull that off. As for the smooth bone and rig stretches, I don't know. Also, the cats foot control, where it selects different pivots on a bone. Probably be a very heavy undertaking. If you look in the far upper left corner during the cat demo, you'll see controls. I'm guessing when he clicks on one of those options, the controls for that option becomes visible. EI and/or XP can not do this. XP could control the visibility but that visibility is only when rendered. The object still shows up in animator. I don't think XP can just toggle the groups on and off either. Otherwise, wow, that would be nice to have nice control over your controllers.

I will be working on a tongue controller next, kinda like that reel. I'll let you know how it goes and post my results.

Vizfizz
03-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Yes.. there are several obvious holes waiting to be filled in the EIAS character pipeline. FBX was implemented, I believe, as a stop gap measure. One to fill the need for character tools indirectly and two to open up EIAS to the rest of the world. Don't get me wrong, I think its a great addition and truly helps EIAS overall value. Can't wait for export capabilties in r3.

A lot depends on how EITG wishes to position EIAS in the 3D community. We all know EIAS is known for its rendering power. That's what it was designed for. Poly crunching. Does EITG focus on what its good at or does it try to add more character tools and try to become something else? My guess is the folks at EITG will stick to the first one.

My general conclusion is EIAS will never evolve into a character animation powerhouse like Maya unless they are bought out by another company with deep pockets. This is a little difficult to swallow because its seems to be so essential to the marketing engine now-a-days. I think EIAS' character tools will continue to evolve, but at a slower pace than rendering and hard surface animation technologies. (Of course this is my opinion and could be entirely wrong. I'm only looking at trends...plus there's only so much money available. It must be spent where they know it will bring an immediate return.) If EITG can create a solid and effective bridge linking EIAS to other packages through FBX, then EIAS becomes a super rendering platorm with a huge amount of additional animation tools that programs like Turtle, Maxwell and other renderers don't possess. I think its smart. Hopefully that will increase sales, which inturn will drive development of new character animation technologies.

If this is EITG's intended route, which is ok, then instead of adding tons of internal character animation tools, work on expanding the infrastructure of the program with a more robust plugin API and methods of getting into the guts of Animator and Camera itself. Though my desire...of course... is to have my cake and eat it too.

DickM
03-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Yes Brian
I completely agree. The holes are getting smaller but they are still there, with a few big ones still there too. Like you said, if the FBX import with wmps gets more work, it could be a great addition. I've been looking at Motion Builder as my character animator but it's future in my opinion is in doubt as is Maya's. I really want XSI on my Mac :love: Then export via fbx and render in lightning time with Camera. Ultra sweet!

Vizfizz
03-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Difficult to say what motionbuilder's fate is. Its unclear. My guess is Autodesk will keep the technology and implement it into "Maxa" The Maya/Max hybrid that is bound to come out. MB as a stand alone program.. hmmm.. might go bye bye. It looks like they've already axed the standard edition. They'll probably keep Pro for a while

halfworld
03-31-2006, 01:29 PM
Really very cool Richard!

Did you see that soft IK XP demo that was on the EI boards a while ago... I wish that code would be made public. My dream for EI is that XP can create simple plug-ins - like soft-ik.

Keep churning it out! :)
Ian

DickM
03-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks
No, I never saw that Ian. Gotta link??:bounce:

Thanks

halfworld
03-31-2006, 01:58 PM
You know, I just happen to have one...

http://www.eitechnologygroup.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5397

:)

BJ! Where are you!?
Ian

DickM
03-31-2006, 02:05 PM
Your the man Ian!:applause:

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2006, 02:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.