PDA

View Full Version : EIAS Training

Vizfizz
03-30-2006, 02:59 AM
Hi Everyone.

I'm just conducting a little poll. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. :)

tjs61822
03-30-2006, 03:34 AM
Brian,

The VTMs work best for me. 3DBuzz's Motionbuilder 4 series was the first time I was aware of them. Not sure which poll item to check for it. Would that be the "data/multimedia" or "video" DVD?

Tim

Vizfizz
03-30-2006, 03:57 AM
Not familiar with the term VTM. Is it video training manual?

A data dvd would basically be quicktimes distributed on a data dvd. Computer ready.

A video dvd would be the same quicktime encoded for NTSC projection.

tjs61822
03-30-2006, 04:22 AM
You're correct. VTM = video training manual, just like you did for Mr Revolver.

I'll post my vote for "data" dvd. Thanks.

Tim

Vizfizz
03-30-2006, 04:59 AM
Thanks Tim...

I'm also trying to determine the best method of delivery. Would users like to download their training or obtain it in tangible form? Ultimately, the second method would probably involve a higher cost.

Cost analysis hasn't been done yet.

tjs61822
03-30-2006, 05:11 AM
Personally, I prefer a download. Quick and easy, no waiting. That would save expense on your end, especially not having to worry about inventory. The only problem is you might have piracy problems. Would there be a way to link it to the EIAS dongle? I know it sounds like a wild idea but I'm not familiar with how a dongle integrates with its application.

Tim

Vizfizz
03-30-2006, 06:07 AM
That's a good question. I'm not familiar with any methods to encrypt an actual quicktime movie in that manner. I really wanna keep things simple though. If I went with a coded system which users could sign in and watch online anytime, the bandwidth costs would probably get high. I guess there's really no way to prevent piracy. Video DVDs can be copied. VHS is obviously no good. Downloading is certainly the most convient for the viewer.. at least with immediate delivery...but then users without high speed connections suffer. Its really a tough call.

Vizfizz
03-30-2006, 07:28 AM
So I guess the next logical question to ask EIAS users is: What kind of price range do you feel is a fair price for a 2 hour training DVD? Gnomon workshop prices range from $39.95 to $69.95.

I have a number of ideas for titles.. but I'd like to get your input. Is there anything specific you'd like to see on a VTM?

halfworld
03-30-2006, 08:16 AM
There is no way we could tie this into the dongle, the only way to prevent piracy of this data type is a phone home system and I am 100% against that type of protection. I do know how to create an 'Activate over the internet' app but that won't prevent piracy, best to just trust people in this case, EI users are a good bunch ;)
Ian

NorthernLights
03-30-2006, 03:26 PM
You forgot the poll option of "Abduct John Knoll in the middle of the night and make him talk."

Giacomo_M
03-30-2006, 03:39 PM
I just want to state my preference for tutorials in QuickTime format over the "MediaBook" approach. I recognize that MediaBooks may seem more elegant to to some, but when I'm following along with a tutorial I really don't want an additional interface getting between the tutorial and the application--I just want to be able to click back and forth to make sure I'm doing it right.

The KURV Studios DVDs for Lightwave are really great in this regard. By comparison, the EI Uber-Bundle--although the material contained in it is also great--I found extremely hard to follow.

GM

Vizfizz
03-30-2006, 03:41 PM
I kind of found the mediabooks a bit clumsy too. They were beautifully executed, but in many ways, overkill. It seemed to take forever to really get into the meat of the subject material. Not to mention that the time required to produce such a beast took quite a while.

tjs61822
03-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Price? I don't have a problem with the Gnomon prices.

Content? Plugin combinations. Thought the Revolver/Bebel interaction was a big selling point. If I was new to a plugin, a step through for each value entered...and of course a pronunciation of the plugin name.

Bundle pricing would be a bonus!

Tim

plsyvjeucxfw
03-30-2006, 05:13 PM
I just paid $40 (roughly) for a 'Digital Tutors' modeling disk set on E-Bay, so that sounds about right to me.

yhloon
03-30-2006, 05:51 PM
DVD video including the project sample sounds good to me...

Cost $50 or less...

Loon

richardjoly
03-30-2006, 06:00 PM
Keith Lango downloadable animation tutorials are 15$ for 20 min. Asking for 40$ to 70$ for 2 hours is a very fair price.

Vizfizz
03-30-2006, 06:06 PM
I just paid $40 (roughly) for a 'Digital Tutors' modeling disk set on E-Bay, so that sounds about right to me.

That was a used set correct? How many disks or hours of training did you receive?

halfworld
03-31-2006, 08:34 AM
Digi Tutors charge around $45 new for some of their DVD sets, I have one of them (realflow). Man is it dry.

These prices seem to be averaging out quite well.
Ian

AVTPro
03-31-2006, 10:49 AM
I like Gnomon but I don't like shipping charges anything that over 30 bucks that you watch once. It's relative I guess.

For EI trainging...it would have to be something I never saw or don't know how to use or would never figure out in a couple of days.

New Plug or Fire effects. Everything would have to be included. If I bought something then I wouldn't want to have to go buy something else to use it.

Right now...I'm not really in the market tho. I went broke buying books from Alias I never really looked at. I think Alias has some good stuff now with the SuperToons.

AVTPro
03-31-2006, 10:54 AM
Keith Lango downloadable animation tutorials are 15$ for 20 min. Asking for 40$ to 70$ for 2 hours is a very fair price.

Thing about Keith, is you already get a lot from looking at his website for free. Then you know he's super creditable "artistically" because he is working in the industry. You can see his work on the big screen.

I did them til I ran out of cash, but every one was an EPIPHANY. In 5 minutes he can do a Jedi Mind Trick on you that will make you go home and think your life over.

Downloadable and very low cost, but even that...right now for me would be a squeeze.

Oh one other thing, he doesn't even really use the service for profit...He uses a great deal of it to for missionary work where he and/or his wife delivers medicine to people living in horrible conditions in South America. So there was this great satisfaction of being a part of something bigger than yourself.

AVTPro
03-31-2006, 10:59 AM
Now 3DBUZZ!!!

Yes, you get a lot of free videos, and I think DV Garage had a few free samples.

I think the best be is to put a couple of really great free stuff out and so people who find it really helpful can give free back.

Hook'em then reel'em

I think some really cool character XP scripting video would be great :)

plsyvjeucxfw
04-01-2006, 01:36 AM
Hey Brian,

yes the 'Digital Tutors's' set was used. It was 4 CD's (not DVD's) in a single DVD case with a hinged insert. They claim 7 hours and 39 minutes for this set. Note that it retails for $69.oo commercially, but that's just a bit beyond my reach currently.

Vizfizz
04-01-2006, 01:43 AM
Gotcha... Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
04-01-2006, 01:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.