PDA

View Full Version : How to Create a Massive Cityscape

BUZZFX
03-29-2006, 11:33 PM
How does one make a city is massive and goes on forever. I've seen lots but I don't know how to make it.

MsLin
03-30-2006, 02:07 AM
Use an ecosystem. There are some great city blocks - I think there are still some in the free stuff over at Renderosity - do a search on "Dystopia". Import the models then use them in an eco. Just remember, you cannot eco an infinite plane (ground) so you will need to make a large plane or terrain to set on the ground to build your city on.

Hope this helps

Lin

TroC
03-30-2006, 05:41 AM
Here is a link to free Dystopia buildings 1-20
http://www.axeman3d.com/models7.htm

You can get more from Moebius87 on Renderosity:

http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=Moebius87

Take care,

Robert

BUZZFX
03-30-2006, 03:13 PM
No I already have the Dystopia city blocks, but my question was more technical. In Poser the city blocks are either individual or in a large block. The large one is very memory intensive and I think if I use it in an Ecosystem to create a city block it may crash Vue.

It's obvious others have done this succesfully so I was wondering how the achieved a huge amount of buildings. Did they load individual Dystopia blocks and use them in an Ecosystem or load the largest city block and use it.

Also if they are using the individual blocks, did they set up some sort of grid pattern for them or just randomly place them using an ecosystem. There must be a proper way to do this to achieve good results!

Thanks

locke2121
03-30-2006, 04:02 PM
This one took me forever to figure out. Its all about layout and perspective. First, you only need buildings in your direct line of site, anything outside of that is a system hog. Second, set your viewpoint fairly low, so that the horizon can be covered by buildings. This fools the viewer, making them think that the city goes on forever. The next trick is positioning of the buildings. Don't lay them flat to the ground. Do them in blocks or rows and make each one higher than the one before it. This lifts them up over the horizon, again fooling the viewer. And the final clencher is atmosphere. Even though the city might go on forever, you'll never be able to see it because of haze, fog, vehicle emmisions. So the city would actually fade into a dense haze.

Here is a WIP I'm working on for the Daz Bryce Forum. Its only in the most prelim stages, but you can see some of the things I'm talking about. I'm planning on adding a couple more Dystopia blocks way in the back, but right now, except for the unique buildings and contructs, there are only three Dystopia small blocks and one big one.

MsLin
03-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Those are great tips! Thanks

Lin

TroC
04-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Do not worry about your memmory! Vue can hold it - take a look on my "no one was watching"scene - it was made in Vue 4 Pro, without ecosystems - I used in this scene something like Dystopia 50 cityblocks and I did it with 1 GB RAM.

If you put those buildings into an ecosystem, you can get almost infinite cyty landscape

Inside ECOSYSTEM Vue can easily manage bilions of polygons.

Solomon
04-06-2006, 08:18 PM
hi Troc,

I was impressed by that cityscape - how did you get the houses to fit nicely in the Silent Spring landscape scene?

bruno021
04-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Use the vob file format (Vue native object format) to populate your ecosystems. If you want to use Dystopia buildings, import them in their pz3 format, and resave them as vob.
Vue will happily handle millions of polygons in an ecosystem, because they are instances, not real polys.
Also, in a separate layer, create 3 cubes along the camera's FOV. Make the cube cover everything that is not within the camera's view. Hide the cubes from render, and hide the layer. Tick the "decay near foreign object" box in the density tab of your ecosystem. Now your buildings will only populate within the camera's FOV, saving memory resources.

krembo99
04-20-2006, 07:35 AM
--- Message deleted ----
Never mind, wrong post

Mike.H
04-20-2006, 11:49 AM
neat little tip bruno.

hey cant you get air france to give me a free ride :P

IvanB
04-30-2006, 02:43 AM
Hey people,

Some great tips here..thanks
I think i may have misunderstood some of the explinations...I have some free lw building objects that I downloaded to have a play with, but am no sure how to get them into vue with the correct surfacing..I understand that the vob's work better with eco, so i need to convert to vob from lwo. I relise the best way to surface a lw object is to uv it, however im not sure how to uv the entire block...If the lwo is imported to poser, then saved as a poser object then imported to vue then saved as vob, will this fix the furfaces...Im looking to purchase some other dystopia's but some are lw objects only...hence my delema...Had a quick look at the threads..IS POSER THE SOLUTION?. import lw to poser and save as vob?
hope your not confused if so SORRY!
Thanks again.

mwalter1
04-30-2006, 06:26 PM
All of the Dystopia buildings are available in Poser format. They are released 1st as Lightwave, then converted to the Poser format. I would only use the Poser formatted versions for use in Vue.

pixelmonk
05-03-2006, 03:39 PM
An easier way (cheaper on memory/processor power) is to chunk out the render into sections or layers. Foreground (render), mid (render) far away (render) > Composite.

TroC
05-24-2006, 07:44 AM
to learn how I arranged houses in my "Silent Spring" ecosystem scene simply read my tutorial on my website.

www.graphique3d.republika.pl (http://www.graphique3d.republika.pl)

Go to SCENES section then SILENT SPRING

Mafx
06-28-2006, 04:12 AM
Not being a LW user am I not able to use those models or there is no actual LW conversion needed? will Vue bring them in as their current format?

Also, do I import them into Vue at the time of making the ecosystem material.. i.e. when I am adding items and choose 'Object' I can just point to the models and import them in?

Thanks

S.

IvanB
06-28-2006, 05:24 AM
I bougt the poser version of the buildings..imported them into poser saved as updated poser file (weired I know, they must have been an older poser file) then imported into vue and saved them as vob,s and then, when creating an eco system, add object and point to buildings..works a treat. There is an example of how to load the buildings in the eco, in the terrain video tute thread. I had problems with the LW buildings, as the textures didnt work.

Mafx
06-28-2006, 05:34 AM
I don't have Poser either.. just Max and Vue really on the apps side of things.

IvanB
06-28-2006, 06:18 AM
Aparently you should be able to convert them to .obj files and import into vue...I couldn't get it to work. Sorry I cant help. There are some threads detailing this...do a search in this forum.

k00k
07-07-2006, 06:46 AM
Also, in a separate layer, create 3 cubes along the camera's FOV. Make the cube cover everything that is not within the camera's view. Hide the cubes from render, and hide the layer. Tick the "decay near foreign object" box in the density tab of your ecosystem. Now your buildings will only populate within the camera's FOV, saving memory resources.

I cannot get my ecosystems to apply the "decay near foreign object" setting. I have an area I want to have no vegetation. I made a cube, placed it over and intersecting through the terrain area. Hide it from render. Ecosystem applied to the terrain. And then I tick the 'decay near foreign object" box. Decay is set to 100%. There are still trees there. What am I doing wrong?

JuanManuel
07-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Update the ecosystem population. Click on clear, then on populate, the ecosystem does not update automatically

Moebius
07-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Thank you very much for mentioning "Dystopia". :)

Ajax is currently working on a Vue specific version of these city blocks and is rushing to get the first twenty (20) freebies bundled in with the content subdirectory. I'm afraid that I cannot be more specific, but this Vue version will eliminate all the problems that are inherent in versions intended for other applications.

Robert would know best... he's done a lot of customization with these buildings.

Despite the appeal these models might have in being used to create a convincing urbanscape, the level of detail is quite low so you will still need to worry about foreground elements.

Cheers! — Möe

k00k
07-10-2006, 12:40 AM
Update the ecosystem population. Click on clear, then on populate, the ecosystem does not update automatically

Thanks for the tip Juan Manuel. I didn't realise you had to re-populate each time.

Unfortunately it just shits itself anyway, and crashes with an Out Of memory error. 3Gb RAM ain't enough apparently. I cant make my ecosystem any more sparse or lower density than it is. This software is an absolute joke...

The-G-Man
07-10-2006, 09:09 AM
to learn how I arranged houses in my "Silent Spring" ecosystem scene simply read my tutorial on my website.

www.graphique3d.republika.pl (http://www.graphique3d.republika.pl)

Go to SCENES section then SILENT SPRING

Robert,

I am still not understanding what's going on with the 'quantize' section of your tutorial. Could you explain this in more detail please?

http://www.scenygr3d.republika.pl/SCENY/SilentSpring/ECO%20Houses%20function.jpg

(http://www.scenygr3d.republika.pl/SCENY/SilentSpring/ECO%20Houses%20function.jpg)

CGTalk Moderation
07-10-2006, 09:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.