PDA

View Full Version : Whats about the 5 Stars?

Nylz
03-29-2006, 09:29 PM
I just realized that the images from the CG Choice Gallery shown on the front page have their star ranking next to them. I was a bit confused about "only" to see 4 stars next to each image there - so i checkt the forum again to see whats the maximum amout of stars - as I allready thought its 5. So I checked the CG Choice 3D Gallery again and fliped through the pages and for my big surprise I nowhere saw a 5 star image.

Where are the 5 star cherrys on the cherry images?
When I read a thread from a really great image many people write things like "5 stars from me" and so on, Iam sure that the shown star ranking is the average. So my main question is: Is there any 3D picture with a 5 star average here?

I think it would be nice if there where a possibility to sort just the 5 star images in a dynamic gallery or something - this way anybody could easy find the best-of-the-bests: the 5 star images.

Kirt
03-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Click on "Rating" and the forum will sort as you suggest. You can also sort by Thread, Thread Starter, Last Post, Replies and Views.

2D Choice Gallery highest rated (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=137&daysprune=-1&order=desc&sort=voteavg)

3D Choice Gallery highest rated (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=121&daysprune=-1&order=desc&sort=voteavg)

Why aren't there more 5 stars? The star rating system isn't perfect. People will hold grudges, become jealous, be spiteful or just disagree with the masses. These people have the right to down-rate an image by giving it a 1 star vote. It happens. :shrug:

salmonmoose
03-29-2006, 11:51 PM
I think, there's a bit of a glitch in the maths, that makes it easy to bring someone off a 5 star rating and back to 4.

Nylz
03-30-2006, 02:27 AM
Thank you both very much for the description and the hint of sorting by ranking.

Its sad that some people get jelous and can't respect the hard work of others completley free of the own skills. :/

Mibus
03-31-2006, 12:18 AM
It's just a math thing.

If an image's average rating is 4.5 through 5.0, it gets 5 stars. If an image is rated 3.5 through 4.5, it gets four stars. 2.5 through 3.5, 3 stars.

5 stars: 4.5-5.0
4 stars: 3.5-4.5
3 stars: 2.5-3.5
2 stars: 1.5-2.5
1 stars: 0.5-1.5
0 stars: 0-0.5

Notice anything? Both 0 and 5 stars have *half* of the possibility of being chosen, because they're on the edge.

DIsclaimer: I think this is how it works; I haven't checked for certain though

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2006, 12:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.