PDA

View Full Version : creating a com notification tool 3dsmax

virtualmesh
03-29-2006, 08:12 PM
while animating, I'm finding that I am frequently looking for how the character's center of gravity points are being supported by the character's legs and feet.

anybody have thoughts on how one would create a simple system that compared three helper objects' XY positions to each other in relation to a few rules and when the range is exceeded, turn a control of somesort to red. then when it turns red, I would know that I had to adjust the hip or feet positions until the range was met.

center of mass areas I usually work with:

chest
pelvis
Lfoot
Rfoot
the expression would be something like this:
if the pelvis object's XY position values are outside of a pre-defined "range" from the foot object's XY position values but the chest object position is within the specified "range", leave control object's diffuse colour value as it is else make the diffuse colour red. usually if the feet are supporting the chest then the character would not fall down.

I already know how to make a control object change colour interactively within a given set of parameters...thanks to the free tutorial Chris put on cg-academy's web site.

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2006, 08:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.