PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Help with Character Design

jjburton
03-07-2002, 03:08 AM
You may or may not remember this guy. I've been working on him off and on character design wise for about a year. I started modeling him last month, but I'm stuck on clothes for him and what period to put him in.

I'm going to post 3 images:
First- Where I'm at model wise
Second- My "finalized" original sketch
Third -seventh, the outfits I've worked up sketch wise in Photoshop so far.

If you don't like any of them, please tell me.

One of them, he's got a mask on, of course he'd take it off. It's just an idea I've been playing around with in my head for a book.

jjburton
03-07-2002, 03:10 AM
This is the initial sketch

jjburton
03-07-2002, 03:11 AM
Outfit 1-kinda ninja-y:)

jjburton
03-07-2002, 03:13 AM
outfit 2-Little futuristic. Teckie.

jjburton
03-07-2002, 03:14 AM
Outfit 3- Gone Native

jjburton
03-07-2002, 03:15 AM
Outfit 4- Desert Warrior

BASSit
03-07-2002, 03:57 AM
I know this guy ;) You´ve posted him 2 weeks ago or so... I am for the the first or the third outfit ! The fourth is also good, but with another helmet - the one from the sketch hides too much of his face ;)
Another comment: The eyebrows are too blocky ! Make them like in your sketch: bend them a little in the middle... they look like extruded faces ! (i´ve said this also at your first post of this guy ;)

The textures are great ! I really wanna see him with hair and that thing on the chin !

Keep it up - looks promising !

mrego
03-07-2002, 04:02 AM
nice character

i prefer outfit two, although i like seeing his spotted chest in the initial drawing... and the hair is nice in the sketch too... maybe you could loose the tshirt in outfit two - or give it a v-neck shape - coz his chest is cool.

more so - what's he ganna be used for? have a think about who he is, where is he from, what has he done, where is he going in his life and world. that might give you the right answer in terms of costume... rather than just popping anything on to him.

good work tho - look forward to more

mrego

jjburton
03-07-2002, 04:03 AM
I've made a lot of changes per people's suggestions the last time I posted him. Lips, eye work etc. I just haven't gotten around to doing any good renders. My time has been tied up in modeling. I've got the arms, hands and torso done. I've just wanted to decide on a style before I go any further modeling. Thanks for the feedback though.

jjburton
03-08-2002, 03:22 AM
Using the boots from 4 and the rest from 2 minus the shirt. I've still got a lot of work to go, but I thought I'd let you all see how I'm coming.

Matt_Forcum
03-08-2002, 04:06 AM
pretty good model, you go to scad? I go there. what grade are you? ok, about the clothes, man, you should have gotten all that designed before you started modeling! shame shame shame. :D anyways, i like the concept sketch. great stuff. I think something simple would be best. I wanna see all of that muscle defenition from your sketch!

jjburton
03-08-2002, 05:23 AM
I haven't started yet, I start this month. I'm kinda a late bloomer. Spent 4 years in the Marine Corps, a couple of semesters at the Art Institute of Washington then moved to Savannah to go to SCAD. What year are you? How have you liked it?

Matt_Forcum
03-08-2002, 05:38 AM
Im a senior,
wow, if your this good going in, then you will have no problems in the industry.

jjburton
03-08-2002, 05:43 AM
I'd like to touch base with you if you don't mind. Would you mind emailing me at:

joshuab@jjburtonstudios.com

I'd like to rack your brain if it's not too much trouble.

I know what you mean about finishing the character design before starting to model. This is my first real 3d character so I'm still learning.

[msf]
03-08-2002, 01:37 PM
outfit 3 and the desert warrior one dont remember the exact number on it. Make outfit three the normal ones and desert their enemies the ones who have adapted and adopted technology to survive or something crazy. Reminds me of jar jar binks minus the annoyingness

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.