PDA

View Full Version : Character: CRAB_CREEP

skello
12-25-2002, 04:11 AM
Hello!
Here is a character i did for my reel...It was actually supposed to be my entry for the gods and demons challenge (poseidon) .
C& C please
Thanks

http://users2.ev1.net/~skello/CRABCREEP2.JPG

http://users2.ev1.net/~skello/CRABCREEP.JPG

one snow crab was hurt during the creation of this piece

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Flog
12-25-2002, 04:46 AM
Umm that is an awesome creature, very creative, but is the penis necessary, hehehehe, I saw a bad thing. LOL

I think the texture is great. Love it!!!

skello
12-25-2002, 04:54 AM
Thanks Flog
i thought it was ..the pelvis area looked too unnatural without it:)

Rols574
12-25-2002, 05:00 AM
i think animation wise animating the pennis will be a challenge

kinda like a tail i think.........

skello
12-25-2002, 05:11 AM
hehe!...i was thinking about that too...maybe a jiggle deformer and some crazy constraints. It will definately be a challenge!

jfalconer
12-25-2002, 07:46 AM
Even if this was a half-man/half crab creature, would he have a crab's head and a man's lower half, or vice-versa? Can you imagine the Little Mermaid if she had a fish head and a human butt and vagina? I mean, this is original, but I have major issues with the design of this creature. The execution looks great, but if the design isn't good to begin with, one must question the validity of the work.

My advice would be, when designing creatures, try to imagine why they would have evolved into their current form. All creatures, even the freaky looking ones, have evolved over countless years to fit their eco-system. Don't just say, I want 12 legs and 3 eyes and a couple of antennaes and etc etc. Stop and think about what environment your creature lives in, what it eats, how it gathers or hunts for food, etc.

Because right now, I can't imagine an underwater or land-based creature taking this form. It would be better suited as a man wearing crab-armor, in which case please design him a protective cup.

skello
12-25-2002, 11:53 AM
J falconer
Thanks for the comments....He's not half man half crab...hes 80% man thus the inclusion of more human features.
He's amphibious, eats and gathers food like a king crab, and does all else like a man!
IMO your description of the little mermaid is very feasible. I'd actually love to see mermaids depicted that way to deviate from the norm. (A lot of character designs these days are too similar and based on archaic concepts..its time to redesign the mermaid!!

here's a close up plastic render of the head(crab eyes and shell scalp with mutated human features) ;)
http://users2.ev1.net/~skello/cc.jpg

skello
12-25-2002, 07:51 PM
here is the color map
http://users2.ev1.net/~skello/cccolor.jpg

jeb
12-25-2002, 08:51 PM
the shell in the back has some streched texture.

good modeling.

squidinc
12-25-2002, 09:50 PM
I agree with jfalconer on this one, this thing would better if it had more crablike armour,at the moment this kind of looks like an evolutionary dead end, theres being original and then theres just weird, perfect technically though :p

skello
12-26-2002, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the comments!
Jeb: you are right..i'm still tweaking that pert of the uv
Sqidinc: I think i will create some armour for him later

cheers

yobarman
12-26-2002, 03:42 AM
i ... i don't know what to say.

i mean it's a nice model but the wang is just so out of place. i mean his balls are just hanging there. give the guy a codpiece or something, if he crawls on his belly like a crab then he's gonna be scraping that thing on the ground... and if he is upright like a human, it's just gonna be jiggling around when hitting people in the head with it in public.

ycf98
12-26-2002, 04:09 AM
i've never seen a crab with balls before hahaha

skello
12-26-2002, 04:14 AM
yoberman: LOL
C'mon guys...the poor mutant had to have a dong and not just a representation of it.(too many models just have a bulge as a dong)
since it's supposed to be naked i had to model the dong otherwise i wouldn't:D

skello
12-26-2002, 04:23 AM
:hmm: furtheermore its relevant for digestion and reproduction :bounce:

:bounce: me sees stars... THANKS :bounce:

simonalex
12-26-2002, 04:41 AM
All dongs aside, I like the concept, but I'm not entirely sure what it is. Is the guy actually part crab/part human? If so, I'd make the transition between human arm/crab claw a little more smooth. Same with the feet and head. It would look more organic, and eliminate any confusion about whether it's armour or body.

Besides that, it really is a great job. I always like new concepts, and you've done a great job. Well done. :)

Cpt-Nemo
12-26-2002, 05:56 AM
lol not just a crab with a dong...

it looks circumsized too! :blush:

jfalconer
12-26-2002, 06:33 AM
Okay okay lemme put it this way.

I have serious doubts as to whether or not the artists at say, WETA bothered to model Gollum's "dong" (as you so lovingly refer to it). And besides, with the loincloth (or in this case, a protective shell) would eliminate any need for one, and the dynamic simulations required to animate it realistically would just waste valuable compute cycles. :curious:

Although a hilarious if not grotesque short might be
"The Mating Dance of the Crab Creep"! :eek:

skello
12-26-2002, 06:44 AM
LOL...
If gollum had a dong..TTT would have had to be rated R or NC17
I bet without the lioncloth the guys at WETA would have given him one else he'd look "fake"

Capt Nemo: oops!! you got me there gotta bevel and extrude just a bit...lol

Edin
12-26-2002, 05:01 PM
"The Mating Dance of the Crab Creep"! :eek:

LOL, that would be really really funny, just a little jig type dance.

Laa-Yosh
12-26-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by jfalconer
I have serious doubts as to whether or not the artists at say, WETA bothered to model Gollum's "dong" (as you so lovingly refer to it).

In the FOTR 4 disc DVD, you can clearly see that the cave troll has a 'dong'. Someone actually bothered to include muscles in it as well and it 'behaves realistically', too... :)))

skello
12-26-2002, 08:34 PM
Thanks Laa-Yosh
That should answer all questions about cg dongs;)
I will definately have to check it out!!

Rudity
12-27-2002, 01:44 AM
skello thats a pretty cool character. Unique.

Im glad you modeled the penis too. Its a male feature and its a male crab.. So put it on.. Good attitude.

How come there's never a debate like this when someone models a vagina? ???

The characters head is pretty cool. Have him faoming out of his mouth for the demo.. LOL thats funny when crabs do that

Anyone know why they do that?(too lazy to research)

Anyways.
Im outa here.
Later
Rudity

zen
12-27-2002, 02:44 AM
hmmm,

i dont think a creature would evolve with sharp claws and a fleshy exterior sex organ....

i mean, how does he hold it when hes taking a wiss?

and how does it jack off?....OUCH!!:surprised

jfalconer
12-27-2002, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Rudity
How come there's never a debate like this when someone models a vagina? ???

:lightbulb I think there would be a debate if someone modelled a female version of this kind of creature with a vagina. Or any kind of disgusting alien creature or whatever with a vagina.

Most fantasy creatures, such as the xenomorphs in the Aliens movies COULD have such anatomy, but they are already grotesque as it is. Sure, the head is a phallic symbol on the xenomorph anyway, I know I know, but its not like there's a ball sack or whatever attached. :shrug:

You must understand that there is something inherently strange and almost offensive about attaching human sex organs onto creatures that should rightly have entirely different looking reproductive organs. :twisted:

I am not saying this is wrong, or should not be done, but I am entitled to ponder: why? IMHO it would be more interesting and less galling if the sex organs looked more like the sex organs of a lobster or crab. He has a crab head, he has a crab hand, he has a crab shell, why not crab sex organs? Is this so he can terrorize some poor human woman? I hope not! :curious:

In any case this is certainly one of the most surreal characters I have ever seen. :beer:

skello
12-27-2002, 05:44 AM
Simonalex, Rudity & zen: Thanks for the comments

OK Jfalconer....it seems you just hate the dong ..so..
:hmm: how does a king crab repro. organ look like? and how would you incorporate it unto a human pelvis?

typeA
12-27-2002, 07:53 AM
hmm...cg vagina....well i got the idea for my next demo reel...thanks guys
:thumbsup:

Hec
12-27-2002, 08:11 AM
I think something is wrong with the organ. It just doesn't seem to flow with the char, granted I think a lot of parts arent flowing on this. Its a very interesting concept, but I feel like it's poorly executed. The model looks to me like you took a human anatomy study and just threw some crab parts on there. There doesn't seem to be any flow to the mix. Just hard borders. If this was how the creature was, shouldn't he look more natural. I think the genitals are just wrong because it doesn't really feel like its part of the model. What does crab genitalia even look like? I think that if you choose to keep them, the model needs to be added to or fixed. The modeling itself and texturing both look great.

webfox
12-27-2002, 02:07 PM
I think that skello can make his imaginary creature any way he wants to. There is no evolutionary logic behind this creature's design, because there is no evolutionary reason to harden the hands, head, and feet with shell, yet leave the arms, legs and genitals soft and underprotected. This character is obviously more of a lab experiment than a natural product, so all the "rules" do not apply here.

Just realize that this "love it/hate it" response that you're getting is going to be going on behind the scenes with those who view your demo reel, too. It would be a shame to miss out on a good job just because you insisted on a model having a penis.

For anyone who wants to know what the underside of the crab looks like, and to see a comparison between the male/female shell shapes protecting their sexual organs, go here (http://insel.heim.at/malediven/350824/english/zuordnung.html#1.1) .

To whomever asked why crabs foam at the mouth... they do that because, to breath on land, they have to carry water with them to cover their feathery gills. They can't breath air alone, so they force air through the water to re-oxygenate it and keep on breathing.

BiTMAP
12-27-2002, 02:11 PM
use what the crab (or at least frog ) has, its a hole with a hard surface around it...

chudofsinister
12-27-2002, 05:52 PM
I think the character you have created is really really great. I would like to see him posed, as most if not all character is lost on these types of creatures when they are show off in a divinci type pose. I know its how things are modeled but you see my point I hope, So rig him and pose him in an aggresive pose, yeah.
I had a question, you say you modeled in lightwave and then skinned and rendered in Maya, how come? I am just curious and do not want this to turn into a huge software debate, hear me other post-ers. thanks, great work.

skello
12-27-2002, 06:32 PM
Thanks Chudofsinister.
There were two main reasons why i didn't rig and texture in LW
1. The skinning/rigging tools in LW layout were really unpredictable and too demanding for me + I wanted to skin the poly version any way.
2. Maya lets you lay out all your uv's in one uv editor window and also lets you merge all of them(if you so please) into one huge uv..thus eliminating as many seams as possible....therefore i had to paint only one big map for the whole character(i could not do that in LW maybe some LW pro can show me)
I modeled in LW cos IMO LW modeler just kicks major a**

bruzz
12-27-2002, 06:40 PM
it thrills it thrills it thrills - but i wouldnt buy it for a bug.

spr0g
12-27-2002, 06:53 PM
looks ok, but get rid of the wee wee tool. lol

proton
12-27-2002, 09:00 PM
I think the penis should be covered by a shell.....and maybe the chest.....any vital organs would probably be covered by a hard shell to protect them......just a thought.

Great model either way:thumbsup:

skello
12-28-2002, 05:25 AM
Thanks Proton
I will re-design the pelvis area and update the model later.

I guess another snow crab has to die for the cause... muhahahaha!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.