PDA

View Full Version : How do you setup your rim lights?

nutriman
03-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi everyone,

i'm wondering how you set up your rim lights in c4d.
i mostly use a couple of spotlights pretty near to the object with a small
falloff range.

But maybe you have achieved better results by using other techniques, e.g.
i was playing around with using splines as lightsources, but didn't turn out very well :sad:

This is my favorite example for nice rimlights:
http://www.raph.com/3dartists/artgallery/6228.jpg

So if you have any ideas I'd be glad if you share them with everyone.

Thanks in advance.

Per-Anders
03-29-2006, 07:19 PM
you just move lights behind the object... you can see the lighting pretty well in viewport, so it's fairly easy to work out where your lights should be. generally for rim lights i have quad views open and just move the light around in the ortho views till it looks right in the perspective view. if i need more refinement i use sniper pro, i also occasionally use my own toolset that allows me to interactively place the specular and diffuse on my objects surface.

moka.studio
03-30-2006, 01:27 AM
i also occasionally use my own toolset that allows me to interactively place the specular and diffuse on my objects surface.

care to elaborate?,

Per-Anders
03-30-2006, 02:36 AM
it's just some simple tools i wrote ages back that allow me to click on an object with a light selected and the light will be placed and targeted so that it's specular or diffuse (depending on options) is where i clicked, and it allows me to click/drag around the surface till the lights in a satisfactory place for very quick "hero" lighting, it also adds lights as i need and allows me to control their brightness from keyboard shortcuts.

nutriman
03-30-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks for your replies, sniper is definitely on my wishlist :thumbsup:

Per-Anders, that sounds like a pretty handy toolset!
So sometimes you use the spec light and sometimes the diffuse light for the rim?
I havn't found a nice setup where i can use the spec light. That's why i tend to use
a light with spec marked off and have this very small falloff to generate the rim.

So do you also use spotlights or point lightsources or even something else?
I'd encourage everyone to also post scenefiles, I'll have something uploaded later.

Thanks again.

LucentDreams
04-01-2006, 09:03 PM
I often use a shader, means I don't have to worry abotu placing lights and dealing with it illuminating iopbejcts is shoudlnt' or having bas shadows etc. Its not a flawlless process as there is often light where techincaly there shoudlnt' be, but for as Sadie put it "hero" lighting it can be very effective. Also makes for some very interesting contorl over how the rim looks that would be very difficultr to do with an actual light.

nutriman
04-03-2006, 02:10 PM
very interesting approach kai! Never thought about that before....umm lemme think,
masking yout fresnel in the luminance channel maybe??

LucentDreams
04-12-2006, 10:44 AM
backlight shader set to white, brightness set to 100%, shadow set to 0%, nice thing is you can choose to use oren nayer for smoother shading on the rim side too. then use a fresnel as you figured, set to multiply, this way the fresnel makes it so only the edge appears with a smooth gradient, masking out the rest of the backlight effect. (of course you can do it the other way, backlight set to multiply, but there by multiplying fresnel you know your colours will be perfectly intact on your rim) This simple combination offers a lot of power and control as the settings are super definable, changing the gradient in the fresnel allows you to customize the falloff of the shading from the edge, and in the backlight shader, using brightness and shadow allows you to have the backlight react to the main lights shadow intensities. Also, using contrast allows you to achieve other effects including an interesting SSS sort of fake.

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2006, 10:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.