PDA

View Full Version : Advice for novice, re bipeds, textures

maria_c2h
03-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Hi, I am a 3d novice, undertaking some 3d for a college project. I have modelled a head and now want to attach it to a biped so as to animate movement of the head.

Any advice on how to do this??

Am also looking for advice on simple ways to colour the lips & give the hair a texture, the character is intended to look quite cartoony, I have already modelled the hair, it's a polygon and not particulary lifelike.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

maria_c2h
03-30-2006, 09:36 AM
O, bytheway, forgot to mention i'm using 3ds max 8, oops

maria_c2h
03-30-2006, 09:37 AM
Am using 3ds max 8 bytheway

maria_c2h
03-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Any help at all??

I'm using max 8

Wacomy
03-30-2006, 01:01 PM
There are a couple of ways to rig up a body in Max

The best way I find is to use a Skin Modifier over a Physique on when rigging up such a small area. This will allow you more control over areas such as the chin. Often using physique it can be difficult to stop envelopes from catching the chin, even when you change the vertices parameter.
With skin, if you position the biped properly you shouldnt even have this problem to begin with

jonnypolez
03-30-2006, 01:22 PM
i'm not totally sure but i'm going to be doing something like this in a about a month or so at university

im assuming it might have something to do with physique/skinning, i know that when you want to animate a character mesh you need to attach it to a biped using physique. Maybe the head works in a similar way, although I don't know for certain. Max has tons of tutorials though.

maria_c2h
03-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Great, thanks for the pointers, i'll go look up stuff on physique & skinning so

visualchaosfx
03-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Hi,

In order to animate the head you can either use Physique or skinning. To physique, obviously create a biped and align the biped head to your head model. Then select your head model and go to the modifier panel and select physique. You should see the following, Floating Bones and physique. Click the little plus sign to reveal 5 icons. 4 of them are greyed out. The one you want to click on is the one that isn't greyed out. So click it. Go to the select by name arrow located at the top toolbar and select Bip01. A physique intialization box will pop up. Just click intialize. Now select the biped head and use the select and rotate tool located at the top toolbar and move the head. The head model should move with the biped. You may have to play around with the envelopes if part of the head hasn't been physiqued correctly to the biped head.

To skin, you select your head model and in the modifier panel you select skin. You should see the following, Parameters. If it isn't opened already click on the plus sign to extend the parameters roll out. You will see the edit envelopes button and scroll down until you see the bones and then the add, and remove buttons. Click on add and select the Bip01 Head. Now select the Biped head and using the select and rotate tool move the head. The head model should move with the biped head. As for the envelopes part of skinning I'm in the process of learning that. I hope this has given you some insights. And welcome to the boards.:thumbsup:

EDIT: One more thing, you may have better luck using the Skin modifier rather than physique. Physique hasn't been updated in like 300 years lol:D

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2006, 01:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.