PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Digital Matte Painting forum!

Pages : [1] 2

leigh
03-29-2006, 06:24 AM
I'd like to welcome everyone to this new forum, dedicated to the techniques involved in the creation of digital mattes. Please feel free to post your questions about matte paintings, and share your WIPs with others here for critique (but don't forget to submit them to the main gallery when finished!).

This is an exciting medium that often marries both 2D and 3D elements, and we're delighted to have the very talented Jaime Jasso (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=23487) as the forum leader for this new discussion forum.

Have fun!

Icarus
03-29-2006, 06:30 AM
wow, very cool, will definatly be checking this forum out frequently.

Agamemnwn
03-29-2006, 06:32 AM
subscribed . will definetely be checking here :D matte painting RULZ

Katachi
03-29-2006, 06:32 AM
Great news! I always wanted to get into DMP but I never got to that point, mostly due to missing discussion plattforms and this forum seems to be a very good starting point. :)

Looking forward to it!

alexfalchi
03-29-2006, 06:54 AM
Very cool.

Alex.

beelow
03-29-2006, 07:16 AM
Cool, I am definitely interested in Matte Painting! will be stopping by!:thumbsup:

OZ
03-29-2006, 07:34 AM
Im very interested too!!! hope to see this forum grows up!

-OZ-

IRML
03-29-2006, 07:34 AM
well it's about time :D

Cameo
03-29-2006, 07:41 AM
Long overdue. Should be a valuable resource. Nice work guys. :thumbsup:

Pufferfish
03-29-2006, 07:54 AM
Great thing! Been waiting something like this :)

lukx
03-29-2006, 08:19 AM
finally! :)

GonzaloGolpe
03-29-2006, 08:37 AM
Oh, very interesting the matte world!bravo! =)

▒Zalo▒

Loadus
03-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Excellent! There's going to be some seriously awesome stuff in here ...

IestynRoberts
03-29-2006, 09:43 AM
Awsome! I would really like to start working on some matt paintings - excellent ideal.
God - CGTalk is expanding well these days - you guys have been very busy, thanks a lot!
-Iest

guowei
03-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Oh~good!!!:thumbsup:

Nazirull
03-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Viola!! Now were talking!!

Joblh
03-29-2006, 11:49 AM
awesome! I just started getting into matte painting, so this is an awesome addition to cgtalk :D

ChewyPixels
03-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Sweet! I've been thinking about getting into matte painting. Subscribing! :thumbsup:

carbonmatter
03-29-2006, 12:23 PM
exxxcelllent!
CGSociety is gonna take over the planet at this rate - awesome forums, books - how about a school and a killer studio next?!

Rebeccak
03-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Looks awesome! Will definitely be checking this place out. :)

jmBoekestein
03-29-2006, 12:57 PM
OOoooh cool! Finally some chances to understand Matte paints. :D

Great idea.

tlggungor
03-29-2006, 12:57 PM
really good forum...

HellBoy
03-29-2006, 01:23 PM
awesome stuff, I am interested how matte paintings work and stuff

I guess let me be the first to ask question about Matte paintings.

- Does Matte paintings begin from a real image or can it be computer constructed. e.g. starts of 2D painting and mixture of 3d models and once it forms a scene, can that be called Matte painting

faizman
03-29-2006, 01:50 PM
great addition, letsee some kwl work of matte painting..

best of luck everyone.

BigSky
03-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Lovely.
In response to HBoy, there's a great Alp Altiner podcast with Mike Seymour here (http://www.fxguide.com/article334.html) he details the great mystery of 21/2 D. Now we'll all be doin' it.

roguenroll
03-29-2006, 02:37 PM
...........awesome

timwarnock
03-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Sweet! Very glad to see this.

Romero
03-29-2006, 03:49 PM
FINALLY! this is great better now then never:scream:

paperclip
03-29-2006, 03:50 PM
This is a cool addition to the forum, interested to see how this will turn out! I'll be hanging around here, so I will.....

BUZZFX
03-29-2006, 04:09 PM
Another Great Move CGSociety! I look forward to it!

Gabriel-J-Kessler
03-29-2006, 04:50 PM
Is matte painting ever used in games? I have never seen matte painting before i think it rocks it out. Is it worth while learning? I haven't started going to school yet for game design. *save roll VS Ubernoob question*

micrypt
03-29-2006, 04:54 PM
Yipee!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Redwolf
03-29-2006, 05:19 PM
awsome.. cant wait to see how this all develops

JJASSO
03-29-2006, 05:26 PM
hey guys I'm very honor to be the forum leader at this brand new matte painting forum, I 'll be here for everything you need as tips, critics and why not share knowledge opinions in this art, as you all know matte painting is a mixture of techniques wich involves 3D, 2D photo composition, 2D Painting, Animation etc. hoping new artist to come over and see how this art is used in all visual arts like featured films, tv series, comercials, cinematic for video games , ilustration , visual effects etc.
thanks to leonard teo and leigh for this :thumbsup:

Dutchman
03-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Wow! Finally this long-waited forum! I must say it was getting time for it, and I'm very glad that it finally 'arrived'! Its always wonderfull to work with the combined skills of 2D, 3D, photo, animation etcetera! :)

Jaime: I'm happy to see you being the forumleader, as you defenitely have the skills to help us in the right direction! :) Thanks for putting time in the leadingship! :cool:

Lets pray this forum will be a great succes! :bowdown: :arteest: :beer:
-Gijs

elnady
03-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Great News :)

yellowdog
03-29-2006, 06:30 PM
To answer Gabriel J Kessler... Yes matte painting is used in games but more so in the cinematics or pre-compiled sequences. (To what I've experienced... I don't know for the in-engine part). It's always a good thing to know, even if it's just to make great background paintings or back drops.

Max4ever
03-29-2006, 07:25 PM
let's rock :thumbsup:

Max4ever
03-29-2006, 07:31 PM
"even if it's just to make great background paintings or back drops."

You can always do camera maping, so the foreground can be a matte also.
you just need more cameras :bounce:

James, I'm glad u're the forum leader mate :bounce:

warpy
03-29-2006, 07:37 PM
hey leigh,

finally, with a new celeb artist to show us the ropes :)

Archangeluus
03-29-2006, 07:45 PM
This...is going to be sweet! COOL!

Canadianboy
03-29-2006, 07:50 PM
sweet. it finally went was added!

Tigaer
03-29-2006, 07:56 PM
a great addition to the forums :D

paconavarro
03-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Great !

Congratulations Jaime :) you deserve it :)

AVTPro
03-29-2006, 10:45 PM
I wanted to get started in matte painting as well. Thanks.

cgnetworks_le
03-29-2006, 11:57 PM
Hi everyone,

I wondered when thread like this on CGtalk would be up and running. Now it comes. Great!

I knew what matte painting is a year ago when I 1st visitted Dylan Cole's and Dusso's site. Theirs is nothing, but bloody brilliant. I also have a chance to watch their DVD matte painting and learn heaps.

Here are my 1sr practice I did about 6 months ago, but never received a critics from a professional and I hope to get some here. Thanks you all.

MATTE PAINTING. (somewhere in it still look painterly I know)
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6153/mattermitinthewinter6zi.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPHY.
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6729/mattermitwinteroriginal9td.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

Artbot
03-30-2006, 12:48 AM
Why do you call these images "matte paintings"? I started in the biz when matte paintings were done on glass panels using actual paints. The general assumption is that they were commonly used as a background or foreground addition to a live action film plate.

My question is, should mixing digital paint, 3D, & photography be called "matte painting" at all? The majority of "matte painting" images posted here are simply Photoshop illustrations and were never intended to be composited with other live or animated elements.

Just curious to hear people's take on this. Then we can discuss people calling their illustrations "concept art". ;-)

cgnetworks_le
03-30-2006, 01:48 AM
I think the so-called name for it now is just the respect for the orginal. It was 1st used by ILM about 20 years ago (if I remember correctly) and for background plate. Shots used it called "painted film". They painted on glass (that why i called "matte"). then the head of the matte painting dept successfully convinced ILM to buy Photoshop in the early 1990s, because it offered so much advantages (combine photos, etc), eventhough photoshop back then was "crap". As time goes by, software has been abused (lol!!) in matte painting as the technology and its enhancement makes it so much easier and joyful to do.

Matte painting is a hero-behind-the-character. It helps enhancing the environment, but cost less than building reallife indoor set and more convienient as you dont have to wait for weather to give desired visual.

Matte painting can be done by based on a photo or from scratch, depending how pro you are; and it can combine with live action plate, eps the 2.5D matte paintings that act as panoramic backplate.

Whatever way you work with your matte, it should turn out photorealisic. It makes a difference to concept art because matte requires photorealism that needs tremendous effort on details while concept art is just to show idea, idead of compositon, color, etc...; so, it can be very paintery, cartoony and unfinished.

Canadianboy
03-30-2006, 03:24 AM
the real matte painting on glass was done way before ILM came around.

Wongedan
03-30-2006, 04:07 AM
cooollllllll. thx for opening this forum

JJASSO
03-30-2006, 04:23 AM
richard (cgnetworks_le) : you did and excelent job in that winter scene, it would be great if you could create a new post in the digital matte painting forum root so everybody enjoy this piece

Artbot: you have a great point , actually matte painting now should be called as a digital enviroment art , since it is used to completly create a scenario or a stablishing shot, or partial set extensions as traditional matte painting did in that time, the name is perhaps the long history and tradition , I think actual matte painting is way bigger in art and posibilities ,is not just a matter of putting images together or 3d assets

I completly recomend " the invisible art " a book from mark cotta vaz and craig barron people that really know their bussines and they explain perfectly the transition from traditional to digital.

ysvry
03-30-2006, 04:32 AM
cut 'n paste isnt that what we learned in prep school first? ;P

AVTPro
03-30-2006, 05:00 AM
I think it's also from the commercial application in film. A lot of the paintings that were done with paint, can now be done quicker with Photoshop. The genre is backdrops for film, but I think people have started using it for the art and it just being dumped into one catagory.

I remember hearing something about ILM going to photoshop for mattes years ago, but from my understanding, members of ILM "created" Photoshop on the Mac for film, blue screen and composition..I could see it spilling over to other department quite easily.

I start with Photoshop on the Mac with version 2. I don't ever remember it not being a killer app. I used it for print, not painting, then for texturing. I only recent started buying Gnomon DVD over the summer. I highly recommend Dylan Coles Matte Painting demonstration.

EmpY
03-30-2006, 05:18 AM
Hi Jaime...are we allowed to post a work-in-progress threads in this fantastic new forum?
This forum is great addition... I hope it grows...

congrats!

jnurp
03-30-2006, 05:37 AM
alfred hithcock used matte painting a very long time ago, this techinque had a traditionnal life before the digital age

and i really think it's a great idea to have created this forum, hope there will be a lot of good stuff down here

haslingerDesign
03-30-2006, 05:43 AM
Good Idea, plugged.

cserbuj
03-30-2006, 06:37 AM
Great. Many of us were waiting for something like this for long time. Definitively , mattepainting deserve to be a part of cgtalk. Great for all.

Thanks .

Regards

Diegoth
03-30-2006, 07:11 AM
I don't even know what a matte painting is. What an embarrasing thing!

Emilio®
03-30-2006, 07:43 AM
Awsome idea !!! I'm a newbie to the digital matte painting and for now I'm watchin' Dylan Cole's DVD lessons "Landscape" and "Cityscape"...this is simply awsome. I'm not that good at painting, but I am willing to learn some stuff. I hope that in here I will be able to find some answers to questions that may rise in the process of learning. Thanx to everyone who participates in supporting this wonderful idea...big ups and good luck.

Emilio

thedoc
03-30-2006, 08:40 AM
well it's about time!

This is an intergral part of most VFX and animation pipelines and i think that it's a cool addition to the site... after the cg portfolio...

tobiasth
03-30-2006, 08:45 AM
great to see that new matte forum on cgtalk! its time ...

theuni
03-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Hey CGTALK Team,

now this is a real improvement to your boards :thumbsup:

willbrown
03-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Matte painting has been around since the early days of motion pictures. Gone with the Wind has many shots where matte paintings were used. Watch the film and you will see how well the guys did back then. It's a great movie and masterful matte work.

Max4ever
03-30-2006, 12:27 PM
damn, lots of people asked me the same question over and over: if it's not integral painted it's not a mattepainitng.
indeed, it's not a mattepainting, it's a digital mattepainting.
when it comes to mattepainting there are no laws. you can do whatever it fits, the result matters.
for example I saw the other days some unbelievable stuff from framestore guys.
they shot a pudding, a freackin' pudding, for the background mountains. the ideea is that in digital mattepainting you're allowed to do anything in order to simulate reality.
Painting? yeah, sure, for the concept sketch, when the producer wants to see where you're going with your concept. Or for different ellements that are very hard to reproduce in 3D.You can use all your skills.
:rolleyes:

bkeiser3d
03-30-2006, 04:31 PM
It's about time. I'll be checking in soon.

JJASSO
03-30-2006, 04:38 PM
empy: sure I'm going to create a new post all about WIP's , where we can give advices and of course we all can get them as well.

thanks all for your support, and let's make this forum a state of the art in digital creation

KahlanAmnell
03-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Sweet. I have been waiting for this moment for so long.
I cannot wait to start posting my works.

Artbot
03-30-2006, 06:46 PM
I forgot to say "Great idea for a forum! Long overdue! Thanks!"

Now, I'm fully aware of what a traditional matte painting is. And I already knew that the technique of painting on glass to extend or create a new film environment goes back 100 years or more. And I also heartily recommend the book "The Invisible Art...", as well as the d'artiste matte painting book. My question was simply, why is all this digital art called "matte painting" when it was never intended to be used as an actual matte painting (that is, as a background or enhanced environment that's composited with other live or animated elements to create a finished scene)?

I suppose the "legacy" reason is the best reason. Artists saw pictures of glass matte paintings, which tended to be environments, and simply called their own environmental illustrations "matte paintings" for lack of a better word.

Gratuitous matte painting story: One of the perqs of my old job were occasional trips to the LFL archives warehouse to do research. My first trip there was mind-blowing, getting to see all those classic Star Wars models and props and costumes. But a real highlight was getting to see all the amazing McQuarrie, Pengrazio and Ellenshaw matte paintings from Star Wars & Empire - real paint on actual glass! What was shocking was how they were stored - leaning one against another, probably 10 or 15 in all, against metal shelving at the back of the warehouse. It seemed awfully risky - one careless person could have destroyed all those priceless film artifacts in one fatal swoop. But what struck me most was their crude, almost impressionistic simplicity. The draughtmanship, perspective and color were perfect, but the brush strokes were rough and almost sloppy, but overall the image held up perfectly at film resolutions, just as the artists had planned.

JIII
03-31-2006, 01:26 AM
Just goes to show, don't do what can be eliminated :-). Make things large and simple, when compressed, they are detailed :-).

This forum is just what the Dr. Ordered.

-JIII

Jadan
03-31-2006, 07:58 AM
I really don't think you know how happy you have just made me!

This is far too long coming, but I am really happy and excited to know that I have a REAL area to direct my questions and show my work.

Good luck to everyone who partakes in this forum.

cheers!

ralphmanning
03-31-2006, 10:38 PM
:buttrock: This will make a nice addition to CGTalk.

beelow
04-01-2006, 04:16 AM
I wonder if one of u can run a separate forum where u provide the images to all and everyone has to come up with a matte painting what do u guys think? It is only a suggestion. peace!:thumbsup:

roguenroll
04-01-2006, 04:23 AM
I wonder if one of u can run a separate forum where u provide the images to all and everyone has to come up with a matte painting what do u guys think? It is only a suggestion. peace!:thumbsup:

a contest ? it think there was one, not sure if it got off the ground. hhhmmm.

maybe now i will happen.

bin
04-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Super! :thumbsup: Im very interested . :bounce:

bkeiser3d
04-01-2006, 02:58 PM
That sounds like an good idea for a cool contest. Have everyone start with the same images, and have a the theme for the contest. It would neat to see what everyone comes up with.

JIII
04-01-2006, 03:01 PM
How about a speed matte painting contest :-)?

-JIII

Max4ever
04-01-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm in for the contest.
It should be more creative instead of a skill contest. Something like daily sketch.
James? what do you say? :beer:

Cathy
04-01-2006, 04:29 PM
For anyone interested in matte painting- there is an entire website dedicated to it:

http://www.mattepainting.org

It's home to some of todays most awesome matte painters. Dylan Cole, Alp Altiner, and Chris Stoski to name a few.

JJASSO
04-01-2006, 05:06 PM
a contest sounds really cool !! let me think of a cool idea and this is what I think guys, let's start this way

first contest can be about sketching , to see how you guys work with color and composition,
( rough level not to much detail )
later we can work in a final matte painting based on the skecth each artist posted.
this would be just a start guys a star your engines project for the next one

and finally I'm thinking about ancient civilizations , we all know CGTALK is a worlwide society, so here we find people from all around the world, then a final contest and high end project would be to create a really cool, detailed matte painting based on each others ancient civilizations,
for instance I'm mexican = mayan civilization, chinese = ancient chinese temples and palaces, each one of you will have to show, real reference photos, sketches , wip's and the final mattepainting. and we all are going to learn about history hehe
we can create some new pyramids, palaces or a complete new ancient city eventhough it never existed, but it has to match the time it is supposed to exist
here's an example of a matte painting I did , of a mayan city that never existed but I had it in my imaginination
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/23487/23487_1126306096.jpg

imagine the posibilities with your own ancient civilizations ,
I will star a new thread for the sketching Forum . there I will add rules and steps, good luck !

beelow
04-02-2006, 01:28 PM
I was not thinking necessarily contest, just something that we can do to get practice, but a contest is good as well, I am glad that this forum is starting to take off smoothly, thanx again for taking the time to listen guys! :thumbsup:

Nii
06-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Uhh sorry to bump a very old thread (meh it's a sticky) but can someone give an artist illiterate person such as myself a primer on what DMP really is? It sounds pretty cool, but I've only been modeling, I haven't really ventured into the realm of other types of art...

Artbot
06-16-2006, 12:28 AM
DMP a catch-all phrase for a type of environmental illustration that doesn't have to adhere to any single artistic discipline (i.e. 3d, 2d, photography). And that's a good thing, with so many images being produced with so many different techniques these days. It suddenly feels antiquated to even have separate 2d & 3d forums here on CGTalk since there is so much crossover of techniques.

The nice thing about so-called DMP is that it's the finished image that matters most (and they typically appear to be people-less environments, in keeping with what actual matte paintings were in the pre-digital days, though that varies). It's not about how great your model is or how great a painter you are, but how well the finished image conveys a mood or realistically depicts a fantastic setting. It seems that most DMP artists aspire to create photo-real images, which is what classical matte painting was all about.

Just my take on it....

Nii
06-16-2006, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Hmm, it sounds like DMP is just any art in any form as long as it consists of environmental illustration, either photoreal or emotion? I thought the "matte" was describing some sort of specific technique...

Artbot
06-16-2006, 04:52 AM
I thought the "matte" was describing some sort of specific technique...

It does, but it's a legacy word that applied to the process of inserting a traditional painting into an area of a filmed image that's been left blank, or "matted out".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matte_painting

pintoplex
02-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Dear member of this forum,

I am proud to join the matte painting forum. I have been waiting for a long to participate in such a fascinating technique. I live in Brazil (State of Recife) and matte painting is almost innesistent in movie or video productions here, so i am planning to start a team of professionals for this. For me, matte painting is the most important solution for projects with tight budget (this is the main concern between professionals here). My final project from the university is exactly DIGITAL MATTE, so i hope to exchange experiences and ideas here...

THANKS everyone and lets start!!!

JJASSO
02-10-2007, 03:12 PM
welcome pintoplex, I'm sure you will find very useful this forums, hope to see some of your work around, feel free to ask or post yur wip's and final images

best regards

pintoplex
02-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Thkz, James, i will post some of my work.I have some tests with matte in video to show.I will prepare them to post here...

Photoshopped
05-31-2007, 08:38 AM
This certainly looks a fun place to be with all the competitions and all. I look forward to speaking to some of you soon and indeed entering the competitions too.

Regards,

Jay

Photoshopped
06-28-2007, 01:47 PM
No welcome for me ;(

kbarts
06-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Welsome Photoshopped! ;)

I hope you show something to us;)

Photoshopped
06-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Hi kbarts, thanks for the welcome ;) I will indeed have some work to show you all real soon. Just have some touch ups and improvements to make first. Thanks once again and speak soon,

Jay

newmanhyde
07-04-2007, 03:31 PM
any one fancy another contest? i was thinking how well done the unofficial challenge went, with good participation. we can have another go. i am sure this will benefit everyone

Photoshopped
07-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Hi newmanhyde,

I would love to do a challenge as I have not had time to take part so far. The thing is, at the moment I most likely just would not be able to dedicate the time though! :(.

L8rz,

Jay

Suirebit
07-14-2007, 09:46 PM
What's this all about - apart from some regulars here I see little activity on these forums so I was wondering just how many matte painters lurk around here silently, ghost watching :)

Anyway, joke apart, if you are one just leave a message here and say a little about you...I (and I'm sure others too) would love to find more 'collegues' and check your portfolios :)

Rockhoppermedia
07-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Hello my name is Rich, I am a professional photographer, prolific poster and bad painter. I have hanging around here for a while and I enjoy the community feel of the site. I would also like to hear from the silent community that skulks this forum. I am a slow learner to matte painting but am a complete geek when it comes to visual effects.

I have been to many parts of the world and find it a Beautiful place and I like to share my view of it. Would absolutely love to go to New Zealand so if you are Peter Jackson reading this I can make tea and do a Good photo. LOL

Many regards

Rich.

Look forward to hearing from you.

JJASSO
07-15-2007, 01:10 AM
nice idea Tiberius , I'm sure a lot of proffesional matte painters are always looking around , you have to understand most of the people already working in proffesional stuff are busy most of the time , (so do I hehe) , but we're always trying to post or to help others, in my case I'm the foum leader and I´m always trying to encourage, help or give advices to anyone interested . it's great to have a community on matte painting matters , and everybody will always be welcome to post work ,questions or requests .
I´m sure this forum will grow and alot of people will improve their work just sharing techniques here.
I have great ideas for the upcoming months talking about challenges and other matters .. is good to be pro active and always try to make this forum the best . thanks to CGsociety and all the members.

Suirebit
07-15-2007, 11:22 AM
James> Yes, I know&understand how busy one can get, I worked professional too :) Looking forward for more challenges and, about techniques, how about starting a sub-forum or at least a thread where people can gather their hints/techniques...something like 'Tips&Tricks'? I think that would be great
EDIT: james, is it possible to make sticky this thread?

Anyway, to say something about me too :) My name is Tiberius and I work for King of Houston as Matte Painter & Illustrator, altough I also still do freelance work.

I've recently joined cgsociety (some one odd year ago) and I find it a great community; Looking forward to find more matte artists around here and to see these forums grow :)

You can always find me for talk on Y!M and MSN, id-s are in my profile;

Cheers

yellowdog
07-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi Tiberius... and all the others that read this thread !

I'm Ben,
I'm presently a matte artist for Ubisoft's digital arts film studio in Montreal... I'm not the most active of members because I'm super busy these days (like Jaime said... most of us are). But I try to share as much as I can during the time I have ! Your portfolio looks nice btw !

cheers !! :)

Suirebit
07-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Hello Ben,

Very nice mattes you have in there :) I specially liked Rainbow 6 one and assasin's creed; Welcome aboard (the list) :D

Timmay
07-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Hi, I'm Tim. I check this forum every day but I don't post much. Usually only to submit new work or comment on a piece that is amazing. I guess I'm pretty new at matte work, a year or so, so I'm still learning. I'm in the process of trying to get a job somewhere as a matte artist.

I must say I've learned a TON from posting and reading comments/critiques/techniques on this forum. James and the other regulars have been great at info sharing.

Suirebit
07-17-2007, 04:48 PM
I've made the first version of the list, see the edit in the first post :) now keep posting here to get in there! :D

Timmay
07-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Hey Jamie if we get a big enough list can we sticky this?

JJASSO
07-17-2007, 05:07 PM
yeah sure, I will sticky this , just keep it up

Rockhoppermedia
07-17-2007, 06:50 PM
BE VEWWY VEWWY QWIET I AM HUNTWING MWATTE PWAINTERS

Please can you change the title of this thread,

Regards

Rich

The attatched file does not represent the views of Warner Bros, the image cannot be reproduced in any way nor sold. Elmer Fudd and all associated items are the property of Warner Bros and is copyrighted.

Quadart
07-18-2007, 01:30 AM
I’m not a matte painter per se but am an illustrator who likes seeing a good matte painting. I’ve been ghosting around this forum for a while admiring the work here, and when the Matte Painting Challenge 07 came up I had to try my hand at it by entering. Obviously I didn’t win nor did I expect to with such admirable competition. The challenge was exciting and a learning experience.
Matte painting is an interesting 2d niche and I’m looking to learn more about it with time and more challenges. —Great forum.

Photoshopped
07-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Hi everyone,

My name is Jason and I run my own digital art/flash creative business and freelance as well. I spend literally as much time as possible studying digital art, graphics and design in general. Although I have only just got into Matte painting I am already addicted. I think this has to do with my vivid imagination, love of all things creative and passion for image manipulation and composition.

Even though I am not a professional Matte painter yet. I have worked with the same tools, software and techniques for many years whilst working within the graphics industry and still try and answer as many topics and posts as possible whilst showing respect for the members whos post I am answering.

I have also noticed that there are not many new topics posted here on these forums, and those that are seem to be just about competition entries. This may put some people off who are not interested in these competitions or those that do not have time to enter like me.

Hopefully more people will get chatting now and share there experiences etc. My only snipe about forums in general is at those members who seem to consider themselves gods of this or gods of that. Also members who will happily post just bad things about your work and not the good things? Theres no place for that and as long as the attitude is kept away then this should be a great place to be.

All the best and hopefully I will get to chat to some of you soon,

Jay

SamsonsReaper
07-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi Levi is the name.

I am pretty fresh in this industry but i enjoy every second of it. So far i have been doing pro stuff for around 8 months for various game and production companies.

On the side of mattepainting and work i also do alot of speedpaintings to practice my skills.

some boring info: 23, guitar,books, draws, games,movies.

Cheers mates!

Suirebit
07-18-2007, 12:41 PM
welcome guys :) Levi I really like your "another tomorrow" :)

I've edited the list and also added links towards each of your profiles! :)

Photoshopped> can you create a portofolio here so people can directly see your mattes? :)

Photoshopped
07-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi Suirebit and SamsonsReaper.

Inlakechh
07-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi my name is Marco,

I'm working in the print industry at the moment. Mostly doing 3d stills and animations.
The animations are for web of course not for print ;).
I'm learning landscape-concept and matte painting in my free time and just love to create worlds.

bechira
07-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Hi. My name is Sorin Bechira.

My background education is graphic/multimedia design, working for 5 years in this field.
Started as a graphic designer doing visual identities, prints and web layouts and a bit later, motion graphics, and recently I became very interested in compositing and mattepainting.
Currently I'm working as art director at X3 Studios, a graphic studio located in Timisoara, Romania.
So, I'm hanging around to see and learn from this great community.

Cheers mates. ;)

Suirebit
07-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Welcome Marco, very nice mattes, i really like the one for the contest :)

Hello Sorin, glad to see another fellow romanian here! :beer: you have a very nice portfolio :)

bechira
07-18-2007, 07:59 PM
thanks.:beer:
u must be familiar with at least one of the works from my portfolio. ;)

Suirebit
07-18-2007, 08:02 PM
yup, but that was a long time ago :D :) btw i really liked your contest entry :)

bechira
07-18-2007, 08:04 PM
thanks.

good luck for ballistic d'artiste matte painting 2. ;)

Rockhoppermedia
07-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Hope Leigh is reading this, due to the good response of the last comp prehaps we could make the contest bigger than it is with more prizes and greater coverage. The winners image could go into digital artiste matte painting 3.

Just a thought

Rich

What do you guys think?

RQuack
07-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Sounds great to me. I'll be painting anyway but a little fire under my butt always helps. :thumbsup:

bonniedickson
07-19-2007, 03:40 PM
My name is Bonnie Dickson.
I'm a compositor learning the ropes. I'm also an aspiring photographer and digital vector artist.

I love matte paintings and I come to this forum for inspiration and knowledge. It's exciting to watch the mattes progress from concepts to final masterpieces. I love that everyone here is extremely helpful with their comments through the matte stages. I participated in my first matte challenge in the recent NHM contest. Eventhough i didn't finish my stage three I still had fun and learned a lot on cleaning the plate and coming up with a concept.

I look forward to continuing to be inspired by the amazing art on this forum and to learning from all of you.

Inlakechh
07-19-2007, 05:22 PM
thanks Suirebit :)

leigh
07-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Rockhoppermedia, mini challenges are just that - mini challenges. We don't have the resources to organise large challenges in addition to our main challenges (which, incidentally, include a matte category).

Rockhoppermedia
07-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Sorry Leigh got a bit over enthusiastic, the matte category on the strange behaviour comp is for a finished team piece and the matte has to be part of it. Well thats how I read it anyhow. I have a lot to do with my own work. So if a challenge comes up I will be more than happy to take part.

Cheers

Rich

Suirebit
07-22-2007, 03:29 PM
james can you please sticky this? It might get lost otherwise :D

leigh
07-22-2007, 04:11 PM
No, there is a matte painting category, as is explicitly mentioned on the Categories page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/categories.php) of the Challenge site.

No need for "apologies" on my behalf, thank you very much. Considering I run this site and am involved in the challenge, I'd have thought you'd realise that I know what I'm talking about.

It should, however, be clarified that to enter a matte painting, you enter it into the Illustration category. The matte painting category is an open category, meaning that illustrations are eligible to be judged and awarded as matte paintings.

Rockhoppermedia
07-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Woops, I stand corrected wait out for a matte,

Cheers

rich

kbarts
07-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Hi, my name is Bence and I am 27.

I work as a webdesigner. So I am not a matte painter. I just try out this technique. I like doing the speed works more. I learnt traditional painting and drawing. This is only a hobby for me.

Bence

TheBladeRoden
07-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Hi, I'm Josh and I'm 23.

I've got a BA in Multimedia minor in Graphic Design, though I'm currently jobless. That's right employers! He's available!

I don't think I've posted in this subforum before, though I did almost make an entry for that NHM contest! I thought a global warming bit with an underwater scene would have been cool. Oh well. Maybe the next contest will roll around soon.

I really should update my CGPortfolio.

My other work is in my sig. [/plug]

thyn
07-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Hello
I`m Valentin. I work as a graphic designer in advertising agency. So far matte painting is my hobby and freelance job. Hopefuly one day it`ll be professional work for me. Still learning :)

chinnha
07-25-2007, 06:43 AM
Hi my name is Milind Kharade,

I'm working in the print industry at the moment. Mostly doing Photoshop work & 3d stills.

I'm entring in concept and matte painting area.:thumbsup:

timwarnock
07-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Hello,

Like Ben I don't post that often. I have had less and less time to do personal work and posting professional work is a bit sticky some times. But I do apretiate that this forum is arround and agree that it would be great if more practicing matte painters would contribute. Hows that for total hypocrosy ? ;)

I will try to be a better matte painting comunity member in the future.

The truth is I think everyone is over on www.mattepaining.org

Tim Warnock
Senior Matte Painter
Intelligent Creatures

Ekarat
07-26-2007, 03:41 AM
Hi,

I'm from Bangkok, Thailand. Have been working as art director in ad agency for 10 years and am now running a digital retouching and 3d studio. In my line of work, sometimes there's also painting involve when there's certain elements that cannot be clone stamp, no reference can be found and when I'm tight on dateline and 3d is not an option, matte painting really do help me out on many occasion.

To view my portfolio please link to my website : www.colorzync.com

Any freelance work please contact me at : ekarat@colorzync.com

Ekarat.
Digital retoucher/matte painter/3d modeler.

Suirebit
07-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi guys, I'll update the list later today. Sorry for the delay, I was away this week :)

MattingMagic
08-01-2007, 04:45 AM
Hello,

My name is Brandon and I live here in Goodyear, Arizona attending The Art Institute of Phoenix majoring in Visual Effects and Motion Graphics. I am currently taking a matte painting class and have grown extremely interested in the process. My instructor is a man by the name of David Stipes has done some phenominal work on the Star Trek TV series in which he has won two Emmy's. We have learned about the traditional way of matte painting such as painting on glass and rear projection shots but are doing our work on the computer because the old way just isnt done in TV or movies anymore. Ill be posting some of my rookie work on the forums so you weathered veterans can give me a critique. Any help and advice is much appreciated. Thank you all for reading this little tidbit about myself and take care.

Brandon

Suirebit
08-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Rule no.1: If you don't have a cgportfolio please create one here...this is the whole point of this thread, to see your works! You may also post a link towards your website portfolio, but please upload atleast 2-3 images here also. Thanks!

Suirebit
08-08-2007, 10:00 AM
NEW Rule (no.2): Please, when posting the message about yourself include a status you wish to be displayed next to your name, about your professional experience or current working title, like "freelance matte painter" or "lead matte painter" or "learning the ways..."; If you work for a company or studio please specify it also! Thanks!

Sphereuk
08-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Hi, My name is Alex and I’m 19

I have been doing matte painting on and off for a year now but only mainly coming into it now. I am studying to become either a 3D animator or graphics designer focusing on matte painting at Staffordshire University.

I am currently working for Freelance but hopefully in the near future towards a secure position in a company.

Suirebit
08-15-2007, 10:26 AM
welcome Alex :) List was updated

jbecana
08-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi,
my name is Javier, I'm from Zaragoza (Spain). I've been working as a freelance for the last 3 years doing mainly 3D visualization and some little projects on character animation too. This year I decided to get more on digital painting and 3D character modeling, moving away from the standard work I've been doing in the past. I've always wanted to learn more about matte painting techniques as I find this is a challenging field for me. After going through Chris Stoski's DVDs (Gnomon series, I highly recommend these ones) I managed to finish some simple scenes. I've been visiting mattepainting.org quite often lately looking for any challenge to improve my skills, there is some much to learn !! So I finally arrived here looking for online challeges on matte painting. I've been in CGTalk for several years now, but not very active - hey, I have 3 children to look after - but somehow I'll try to change that.

eyecon
09-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi My name is Eric, and I'm glad to be a part of this forum (if possible). To be with all these great guys feels totally awesome.

I'm a Lead Texture artist and at the same time modeller on Toie Animation Philippines. At the same time I'm also Learning the Skills as a Matte Painter, Yes Toie is the same guys that gave you DragonBall. Digimon, One Piece and Classics like Galaxy Express 999. At the office most of us are generalist, I can do compositing, basic animation, rigging and act as the Lead at the same time. At the sides I also do some freelance work on 3d modelling and as a texture artist for some "totally 3d appllicable textures" that are compiled in numerous collections.

What I really want to do is Matte Painting. I've worked as a background artist for Japanese animation for a year and a half before becoming a 3d Lead. And I love to incorporate 3d elements in creating realistic images. I also love painting so this somehow is the best of both worlds.

I hope to learn a lot from all of you, and hopefully hone my craft as a matte painter.

One quick question... Is it okay to post WIP images here that are part of an ongoing contest on another site? If not then thats quite ok.

Great forum guys!

Suirebit
09-15-2007, 05:15 PM
I guess noone would mind, welcome aboard :)

m2santhu
11-27-2007, 09:30 PM
hey ,
I m santhosh
I am an artist and graphic designer .can u giv me some suggestion how to be a matte painter...

I-NetGraFX
12-04-2007, 11:48 PM
Hello,

Like Ben I don't post that often. I have had less and less time to do personal work and posting professional work is a bit sticky some times. But I do apretiate that this forum is arround and agree that it would be great if more practicing matte painters would contribute. Hows that for total hypocrosy ?

I will try to be a better matte painting comunity member in the future.

The truth is I think everyone is over on www.mattepaining.org

Tim Warnock

Same here :)
I wished I had more time for that stuff too.
I actually didn't noticed there was a matte painting forum here on cgtalk.
For myself, I'm working at Meduzarts with Jessy Veilleux (www.meduzarts.com) ...

Dan

JJASSO
12-05-2007, 01:07 AM
yeah I know what you guys mean, once you are working somewhere it is almost impossible to make your own stuff, it happens to me actually, but step by step the community inside CGtalk is growing and we have had some better challenges with prizes and VIP judges, but is not just a matter of the forum itself or me as a moderator, the community has to have a daily participation , and I think it's just a matter of time. just keep sharing all you great work and the new guys are always welcome !

Yona-S
12-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Hello!
First thing I need to say is that I'm breaking the first rule - I don't have a cgportfolio!!
So I might not really belong in this thread...:shrug:
But I'm hoping to make one soon.:)

I'm from Jerusalem, Israel, though I lived in the US for a few years as well.
I've worked in photoshop for a long time, but only a year ago I found out that you can paint with it too! So I got myself a wacom and, well, painted.
A few months ago I found out what matte painting is, and since then I've been practicing!!
So far I never finished a painting :sad: , but I learned a lot, sketching, matte painting, camera mapping, and I also started teaching myself After Effects.
I hope that I might actually get to finish something that I like now, with comments from the forum!

Yona

JJASSO
12-14-2007, 02:32 AM
welcome Yona, and don't worry if you still have no portfolio, we all started just like that, it is good that you are already practicing , feel free to post any of your matte paintings , with feedback you will learn more and faster :thumbsup:

Suirebit
12-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Updated the list; Also separated people into two groups: working and hobby-ists :)

eyecon
12-16-2007, 05:36 AM
Hi!

I'm going to update myself too. I was hired by a VFX company here in the Philippines as a Senior Mattepainter! :bounce:

Starting January, I will start as Senior mattepainter at RoadRunner productions and will be doing a ot of mattes for films and television! :thumbsup:

Thank you very much guys for the help and inspiration! :D

kbarts
12-16-2007, 08:17 AM
I am not in the lists:(

Rockhoppermedia
12-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks for updating the lists, though I would rather class myself as a apprentice rather than a hobbyist. I work for a government production company in a state of the art production studio. Some of my CGI work has made its way into several productions. I am also the specialist on technical photography, and the only one to use HDR imaging. I have had two paid VFX jobs so far. I am also involved with a production company at the moment producing a TV special. All the graphic design work and CGI modelling for that I have the job as art director.

I am also contributing in a small way to Riktors Project Axum providing concept art.

As for Matte painting yep definately class myself as a Apprentice with a long way to go.......

I am responding light heartedly, i am really enjoying the experience and speaking to upcoming stars and when someone does come out of the shadows who has real talent it gives me a big smile.

Rich

Professional Photographer
Professional Composer/Musical director
Professional Concept artist

Apprentice Matte Painter LOL :thumbsup:

Suirebit
12-16-2007, 10:02 AM
I am not in the lists:(

oops :d sorry. next update :D

eyecon
12-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Hi Suirebit,

Once again thnx for updating this list. A lot of things have change since I started my stay here. Although I do not consider myself as a master yet, I'm still grateful tom all the Masters that have helped me in this forum. Most especially JJasso, and Suirebit, Suirebits work convinced me to become an mattepainter (which I will be starting Jan. 2008 ) and james gave me all those wonderful comments that improved my work radically.

All the rest, you know who you are... Riktor, Rockoppermedia and others more, thanks for the comments and I do hope you will still be there in the coming days... I will certainlly need your wisdom in this field.

Sorry for putting this comment here, but I guess this is the best place since I don't want to waste another thread... Thanks and Happy painting everybody!

eyecon
12-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Hi guys!

Christmas is fast approaching and some of us are practically busybusybusy!

I figured out, since this community is quite small, it would probably be neat if we could post our pictures so that our peers could find out who is who, its like meeting each other through images...

I'll start by posting my image...

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/384/editedpichn2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Yeah, I look like a kid, but I'm 30 so that makes me an adult. That girl beside is is obviouslly my grilfriend, the image was shot at one of the premier party sites in the Philippines. Image taken by a sonyericsson k800i and edited using PS HA! Thats some detail for you guys!

Suirebit
12-16-2007, 11:53 AM
Cheers, it's surely great to hear my work motivated you to start this :)

Looking forward to see what you'll come up with next year :)

ScottKane
12-16-2007, 01:30 PM
here is me http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6892/sonkite2fh6.jpg
i know that i look like a kid because i am :D 21 years old
thats the only image i have in my pc i dont have a camera atm to make more, and i dont like me in this one :D

eyecon
12-16-2007, 02:49 PM
nice! That was fast! No problem sonkite, that avatar of your really looked like you in person! AKA you could be (really) a member of the Asassins Creed... HAHA :D

Common guys, for the holidays sake, lets have a little online get together and post some images here! This would be... in fact you can include your whole family and we can call it a party! HAHA! :D

JJASSO
12-17-2007, 03:57 AM
well guys some of you already know me and some others not, so this is me , having a beer some pub in california. cheers and nice to meet real faces now , :)

eyecon
12-17-2007, 09:21 AM
Nice image James!

HAHA! any other takers? Come out come out whoever you are! :D

adaminside
12-17-2007, 10:09 AM
...And Thats me ;-)

http://www.figielski.com/posts/Adam_retro.jpg

http://www.figielski.com

eyecon
12-17-2007, 04:35 PM
I did not know you had ipod on the early late 1800's.... HAHA! Nice image adaminside!

James one question... are you asian? You somehow look like one... :D
BTW james... if possible, can this be a sticky? So that new guys can somehow be acquainted with the forum... putting a little personal touch to the forum, and some of the shy ones who are just watching at the sidelines might someday some out of hiding and show us their cute lil' faces...

any more takes? just go ahead and post... :D

JJASSO
12-17-2007, 05:17 PM
haha no I'm not asia, I'm from Mexico, and yes I will make this a sticky it was a nice idea for the community, great photo Adam haha pretty creative

Suirebit
12-17-2007, 06:19 PM
you look neat Jamie :D Quite latino haha

SamsonsReaper
12-17-2007, 06:25 PM
me slacking it up

http://www.leventep.com/Pics/n729477790_122318_595.jpg

RiKToR
12-17-2007, 06:42 PM
I would bet its better if you didnt see my face but alas its your funeral...

http://blurred-pixels.com/bio.jpg

Haha... Im glad I trimmed my nose hairs before this pic was taken!

Suirebit
12-17-2007, 07:17 PM
not far from how I imagined you riktor :D

Rockhoppermedia
12-17-2007, 07:34 PM
In uk I work in a studio, abroad i work on the frontline getting images for newspapers back home, whilst dodging bullets and you wonder why I never post very many mattes, LOL

Rich

Rockhoppermedia
12-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Ahh riktor, your lens is smaller than mine,:scream:

Rich

RiKToR
12-17-2007, 07:50 PM
lol... its not the lens but the camera... its my old K 1000 with a 200mm lens... and besides yoda claims "size matters not".

Rockhoppermedia
12-17-2007, 07:55 PM
He too has hair coming out of his ears, LOL i was going to ask what that camera was, it looked similar to a old rangefinder, dont get rid of it. I love film cameras, I would happily take possesion of a hasselblad, now drooling...... why didnt we ever put our images on here before?

regards

Rich

RiKToR
12-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Dont plan on getting rid of it, I found it in my in-laws garage and since I already had a Pentax ZX-M for my first SLR I snagged it from them. All my lenses work...:).

Yoda has manly ears as do I!

Nadz
12-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Hey James,
Is that the King's Head pub in Santa Monica? If so, have a Bass for me. That west side area is my old stomping ground.

JJASSO
12-18-2007, 12:31 AM
actually it is a pub inside universal studio hollywood, lol, :bounce:

Kormendi
12-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Me and my wife celebrating Alexander Keith's (a brand of beer) birthday in Halifax. Major, major headache the next day!

Cheers everyone. Happy holidays.

Joe

eyecon
12-18-2007, 02:19 PM
in contrast to suirebit... I really thought you more of a puff muscle bound type Riktor...

Rockhopper: my friend and I were arguing, are you really in the Arm Forces as a photographer or your just wearing that uniform for fun? just curious... :bounce:

Rockhoppermedia
12-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Well, you and your friend can stop arguing, as i dont wont to fly out as a peace mission. Yep I work as a combat photographer overseas. Yes i do get shot at a lot. I tend to shoot more frames than rounds. I can get into situations and places that a civilian journalist cant get to. my job is to report back as a press photographer. I report back to reuters getty cnn bbc itv and sky. I am sometimes refered to as MOD pictures. Sometimes I can be found in the middle of nowhere doing a matte paint whilst being mortared or rocketed. In the UK it is more relaxed and i work in conjunction with a media agency. I do commisions on the side for civilian firms with regards to VFX. I also provide soundtrack music as i am also a trained composer. Sometimes i may disappear in the middle of nowhere and using satellite tx technology catch up with events on this forum. I think i have the title of the most extreme matte artist on this forum.

Matte painting is my way of escaping, I provided some concept work to riktor quite recently whilst i was suffering from seasickness in the middle of the North Atlantic.

Anyhow I just love painting and sketching,

Rich

reviresco
12-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Hey Folks,

my name's Jim Maxwell. I'm a digital matte painter in Toronto - really enjoying checking out work here and the forums in general, glad there's a matte painting specific forum. I've only got two works in my portolio here so far - I've got a about 3 w.i.p. concept sketches, and two 3d matte paintings on the go, so between now and the end of January I'll see what I can post and get your comments...

I recently left Mr.X in Toronto, and worked previously at Intelligent Creatures. I'm currently on contract working on a major feature in Toronto...

glad to be here

Jim

JJASSO
12-18-2007, 07:44 PM
welcome Jime ! feel free to show us your work or WIP's, I really like the Mayan tomb, it is so great, I'm in the middle of creating a cave city matte painting as well :applause: , welcome on board !

reviresco
12-18-2007, 08:09 PM
thanks James, you have some nice pieces in your 'folio - the mayan tomb will be completed within the next week or so - just bringing up the darks..and adding some finishing touches...will also post the w.i.p. within a coupla weeks

glad to be on board

Jim

RiKToR
12-18-2007, 10:38 PM
If by puff muscle bound you mean fat arsed... that would be I! Though Im working on getting to the gym more...:bounce:

Matte painting is my way of escaping, I provided some concept work to riktor quite recently whilst i was suffering from seasickness in the middle of the North Atlantic.

Hmmm... it wasnt the deep ocean sketches... because thats like salt in the wound in that situation!

I-NetGraFX
12-18-2007, 11:05 PM
I guess in this small world you probably worked together with Tim and Dan? :)

reviresco
12-18-2007, 11:07 PM
I just missed working with them, it's funny, Toronto's big, but so small in vfx terms....I left one vfx house when they arrived, but I'm in contact with them here and there - talented guys!

Rockhoppermedia
12-19-2007, 09:04 AM
I really enjoyed doing them Cliff, some people google or go to the library for reference I however sat on deck going through more shades of green than a pantone colour set. As for project Axum I am still on board excuse the pun. I am feverishly sketching away, and using my bosses after effects when no ones looking.

As for the Gymn, go running instead its free! LOL

Funny story about me getting booked for jaywalking in wilmington, South Carolina whilst jogging....................

Suirebit
12-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Conclusion: I must move to Toronto :D

eyecon
12-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Rockhopper, I guess you have tons of images that are hires and quite useful for mattes... Is it possible perhaps that you good share a few?... only the ones that are not that useful for you... and if you could add a few images from the frontlines, it would be great! :thumbsup:

Like I said, if its possible only and if your willing, if by any chance you could not, then its quite ok... :D

Rockhoppermedia
12-19-2007, 03:30 PM
I would love to share images with you guys, i really do. Problem is like the big studios anything i do is Crown Copyright and i cannot share it out.:sad: Plus there is a massive security risk as you may be fully aware. My falklands shots which are not very good are on the defence image database if you want to have a look. Good news is that i am of to africa soon on a soft job, I will be taking my own camera and i will get you guys some stock shots, i promise:thumbsup: .

I have even got toto loaded on my ipod,

Rich

Prehaps ballistic will open up a image library and texture library on this site for subscribers....just a subtle hint.

eyecon
12-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi Again,

I actually half expected that... all's fine no problem. I was just hoping against the odds I guess...

Any other takers out there? c'mon! Let us know you better by seeing how you look like... so that each time someone comments on your images your you comment on ours we can put faces on those cool names... :D

Suirebit
12-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Rich, never imagined you look so cute :D :lol:

Rockhoppermedia
12-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Mr Tiberius Virus,

LOL the gauntlet has been dropped where is your photo? I know i have a face for radio but come where is yours?

Rich LOL:rolleyes:

Suirebit
12-20-2007, 05:24 PM
I wasn't kiding :D Reminds me of a typical british private investigator/student at

eyecon
12-20-2007, 05:45 PM
I agree with Rich... Tiberius Virus you must show us how you look :D now don't be shy, there must be a face behind those images...

And guys no cheating... don't post images that don't show any face, like posting images where you have your back shown to the camera or your face is covered with an object, another person or your hair... :scream: Just go ahead and post any image you have (recent ones) :bounce:

Suirebit
12-20-2007, 05:55 PM
If you keep calling me Virus you might soon start to have a headache. A terrible one :twisted:

I'm not gonna uncover my identity, for now :D

Rockhoppermedia
12-20-2007, 06:49 PM
cmon don t be shy we werent?

Suirebit
12-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Nah I don't want producers to see it and say "Hey, why use him as matte painter when we can use him as leading actor for the sexxy dragon rider role?" (just kiding :D)

Rockhoppermedia
12-21-2007, 07:15 AM
me thinks you look like the guy from the comic store in the simpsons Mr Viris ha ha. Or you are silent bobs evil and cunning twin.... LOL

Rich

Cmon Mr viris dont be shy, I posted my image and i have a face like a bag of spanners!!

ScottKane
12-23-2007, 02:32 PM
I just got a camera and i made a cooler photo
http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/1907/s0nkitecopyoi8.jpg

eyecon
12-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Nice SONKITE! Thats like Jon Bon Jovi! Cool Image!

coldside-digital
12-24-2007, 01:01 AM
Wow certainly interesting to see the faces behind the posts. I must say this is kindo of embarassing becuase I'm really young (16) and the only pics I have of myself are myspace ones lol.

But oh well, here goes:

http://a165.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/102/l_af55ad4cd3e4ff08687358e76fdd4c0c.jpg

lol yeahhhhh......

eyecon
12-24-2007, 01:54 PM
coldside-digital :Hi! Thanks for sharing! and welcome again to the faces of the Matter painters :D

vfxmunkey
12-28-2007, 05:48 AM
Hi,

I'm Sam, I live in Zew Zealand, and I'm a matte painter in progress.:P
I love photo manipulation in photoshop, which is how I decided I wanted
to matte paint.

I currently work at a small Christchurch company Mercury Media, as the 3d/Compositing/Vfx guy.

I remember JJasso from Deviant ART, and i LOVE your work haha kiss ass I know. But i do!

I hope to participate in some challenges.

Thanks.

eyecon
12-28-2007, 08:59 AM
vfxmunkey : to get to know the faces of these amazing people go ahead and check the other sticky thread : Faces on the images

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=196&t=573678

And don't forget to stick your own image there too! :D :bounce:

vfxmunkey
12-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Ahaha thanks dude, Yeah I'll get a more recent pic of me up there in the next few days ;)

eyecon
12-28-2007, 04:33 PM
vfxmunkey: whoah! i just realized that i forgot to welcome you... so here it goes... welcome to the forums mate!

bechira
12-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Hi all
very nice initiative.
So, here's my pic:

Suirebit
12-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Never imagined you like that Sorin :D

eyecon
12-29-2007, 04:36 AM
thnx for posting Sorin! I actually saw that same pic on another site which inlcuded your works in their feature. As I remember, it was included in a free PDF which was of course inspiring and quite usefull for newbies like myself :D

vfxmunkey
12-29-2007, 06:48 AM
vfxmunkey: whoah! i just realized that i forgot to welcome you... so here it goes... welcome to the forums mate!

Thanks dude. I'll add you as a friend on DevArt. Err.. wait.. I already have haha. Small world.

Quadart
12-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Here’s my recent mugshot.

http://billmelvinart.com/client3/billm.jpg

It’s always interesting to see the face behind the avatar…emails, phone calls etc. As a freelancer I don’t know what 95% of my clients look like, and they me.

I haven’t visited this forum lately but hope to be inspired to work on another matte soon with the nice work shown here.

Happy ’08 everyone!

*I’ll have to edit out that last line when March rolls around. :)

reviresco
01-07-2008, 07:11 PM
I'll post an image soon - I'm just very busy working on matte paintings and concept work (haha.)

Jim

Kutkin
01-13-2008, 12:23 AM
OK, you asked for this.
http://www.pavelcucka.com/web_images/pusk.jpg

Suirebit
01-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Here I cooome....the moment everybody was waiting for :D

Gaspode
01-14-2008, 09:00 PM
LOL
Poser!

He, you can see his face, when turning the monitor-brightness up (hehe)!

nickmarshallvfx
01-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Ok, you're all gonna think im some kind of Post-Apocalyptic creature after this, but i dont have a regular photo on my comp... ill get my girlfriend to take one this weekend when she comes to stay. I promise there is a reason for the gas mask! I used to work with spray paints all the time :)

Anyway here is a weird shot of me...

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL762/3253510/9681213/183191174.jpg

Sorry i didnt see this thread sooner!

Nick

nickmarshallvfx
01-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Oh, and i forgot to ask, Kutkin - how old are you? (if you dont mind my asking)

Nick

Suirebit
01-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Not that I understand anything from that photo Nick :D Even mine is brighter haha:bounce:

Kutkin
01-19-2008, 03:17 PM
@Nick: Not very old obviously :D Gonna turn 17 in two months.

waheednasir
02-05-2008, 11:04 AM
hello....greetings to all...:). i am waheednasir, fine and cg artist, do concepts, mattes and texturing as well as make light, color and mood keys. i do visit this lovely section and i think i might start posting here too. mostly share my work in the 2D Finished Work section.

this is a great place with some really good work to enjoy, ill be around...:).

cheers all.

TomasWarren
02-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Just realised i post in this forum but i've not introduced myself in here yet!

Hi all, i'm Tom, currently still a student at the ncca bournemouth(uk) but in my final year. I don't have any work in my gallery at the min, but there should be something up in there soon

and er, yeah.. i like matte painting :)

bechira
02-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Never imagined you like that Sorin :D

but how did u then? :D

EdwardGrad
02-13-2008, 06:58 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8668846@N04/2262343442/http://www.flickr.com/photos/8668846@N04/2262343442/Hello everyone,

My name is Edward Grad, I’m a digital matte artist from Toronto Canada, matte painting was area of my concentration for last 3 years. I have BAF degree in Fine Arts (painting, composition, drawing, photography), and Diploma from Toronto Film School in Computer Animation in Post Production. I was working in film industry for 3 years, mostly done work such as 3D animation, texturing, compositing and art consulting. I have 13 years of experience in graphic design/mass media industry. Past 3 years I worked on many different types of projects; starting making visual effects for music videos, TV channels, later I worked at Autodesk were I did art consulting, animation, compositing, and latest was compositing job for “Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix”.

After this amazing project I decide not to work for a while, and put all my time into creation strong matte painting portfolio. I always dreamed to use in film industry, my passion and experience in traditional art.

Here is my latest matte painting, Waiting for your critiques…

Edward Grad

Digital matte artist/3D environments

http://edwardgrad.cgsociety.org/gallery/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2850059/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8668846@N04/2262343442/

EdwardGrad
02-13-2008, 07:01 AM
Here is "Astoria".

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2138/2279816017_78370c7bbe_b.jpg

skAt3f0r71f3
03-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Gangsta!
i turned 17 in December.

OK, you asked for this.
http://www.pavelcucka.com/web_images/pusk.jpg

xantirodriguez
04-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Hi Mates!

My name´s Xanti, I´m professional photographer and designer, i´m beginning in this world of matte painting, hope to learn and make friends in this awesome site-forum.

Some of your works are just AMAZING.

murugucgs
04-09-2008, 02:35 AM
Hi guys this is Oli form India..! I am not a good matte painter just now practising some excersise tutorials in my home! And you are doing too good...! Each of your paintings are awesome...and CG society is really going to a point of highness..! I like to learn matte painting up to the core! I am not a good pencil artist ..is that a requirement for a matte painter!! And this Digital Matte painting forum makes my morning very usefull..! All the paintings and illustrations are too good...and no words to explain them more! Is that very easy to learn matte painting! I have done some...but only at the very basci level..! And they dont have a good look too! Currently i am working as a 3D Artist in India...! I like to study in abroad...In this animation anf vfx field! And especially Matte Painting...! Can you advice m,e some universities and schools??
Thank you...And keep posting...! waiting for your thunder perfomance...! Take care!

Atheas
05-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Hello everyone.

I'm Camilla, 31 years from Oslo, Norway.
I'm a hobby painter and has for the first time tried matte painting. I find it quite interesting. I hvae been drawing and painting for some yearsHas the character in a number of years, but not matte painting. I also plan to learn Maya and hope I have the opportunity to be good someday.

Atheas
05-27-2008, 05:57 PM
This is me whit my new glasses

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g198/atheas_norge/briller.jpg

JJASSO
05-27-2008, 09:23 PM
hi guys and welcome you all !! I will be looking forward to see your matte paintings in this forums, if you have any questions feel free to ask . and welcome again :)

degerardo
05-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Hello :wip: , I thing I have to introduce myself too :p

I am Gerardo and 25.years old Digital Artist. I started with 3d, but I change to matte-painting and I love it!!! :) I am working at London as Senior Matte-Painter and Zbrush modeler for enviroments. I have a few years experience with different comapnies and many feature projects like films, games, TV series etc.

If you`ll need or want to check it out here are:
my website: www.degerardo.com (http://www.degerardo.com)
my email: gerardo_de@yahoo.co.uk (http://forums.cgsociety.org/gerardo_de@yahoo.co.uk)

Thanks! Have a good posting here.
G!

memod
05-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Ah, just discovered that thread and figured I'd introduce myself, too :D

I am Daniel Alekow from Germany, I am 21 years old and currently studying Digital Film and Animation at the SAE, but matte painting is what I ultimately want to do. I have been teaching myself painting for five years now and picked up matte painting a little over two years ago, and I hope that eventually I will get to the point where I can do it professionally, that is my definite goal!

So far I mainly focused on the 2D aspect, on painting and incorporating stock photography, but I want to experiment with the whole projection thing soon, too.

I registered here at cgsociety just a few days ago, am glad that there's an actual matte painting section here, so I hope I can get some proper critiques here :D

So hello everyone! :)

Daniel

Xdreamer79
06-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Welcome to the forums :) I am excited to see some mattes form you Daniel.

mad4art
06-01-2008, 12:58 PM
I am an artist at the core of my heart. With a passion for art i took up a graduation degree from the College for Arts, Chandigarh, specialized in Applied Arts. With a passion for painting from the start, gradually i also developed a great affinity towards sculpting characters in clay, using them as a medium for my expression in campaigns. With no barriers for for any kind of mediums, i have always found myself experimenting with new ones. Initially starting my career with advertising as a Visualizer, i got the opportunity to experiment with ideas and techniques. And then understanding the need to digitalise myself i got into understanding the latest softwares and techniques. With sketching, Visualising, Concept building, dIgital painting, Character designing , graphic design to matte painting, i have always wanted to challenge and explore myself with my abilities. I worked with a small studio as an Art Director for quiet some time and with an experience of 3.5 years in the industry, now i am looking forward to freelance working online. I recently took up a CG WORKSHOP on matte painting, which has lead me to this wonderful art form.
You can check out some of my work at http://mad4art.cgsociety.org/gallery/
images/icons/icon7.gif

eyecon
06-03-2008, 09:51 AM
mad4art, Xdreamer79, welcome to the forums! I have seen your works somehow in other sites! SO welcome to the forums!

I'll be eagerlly loking forward to your works! :bounce:

arturvill
06-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Hello there,

my name is Jack Moik. I'm a digital matte painter from Frankfurt in Germany. I'm watching this forum for years and I learned a lot of stuff here. So first a big thanks to all you guys. I think it's time to give back something to the community, so here i am.

I started painting with classic airbrush and joined the movie business allmost ten years ago. I did a lot of painted sky and landscape backdrops helping miniature landscapes come alive, mostly for German TV and movie productions. A couple of years ago I entered the digital realm and finally found my tool which is the Wacom Intuos. Together with Photoshop CS it really can be a magic weapon.

I recently did a lot of matte stuff for TV, video clips and some motion pictures. At the moment I'm working on some matte paintings for a new German movie about Adolf Hitler.

My matte painting gallery is Mattedepartment. (http://www.mattedepartment.com)

As I also do work as Digital compositer, video editor and film music composer I do have a "master homepage" for my company, which is Solid Ground Entertainment (http://www.solid-ground-entertainment.com)

Please take a look there if you like. Well, you may also contact me on my little myspace account (http://www.myspace.com/jackmoik) where you can also hear some of my music stuff. I need to update all my web entries soon, but many of you know how precious time can be in the media business. ;)

Your comments are welcome, best regards,
Jack

memod
06-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Hello Jack, welcome to the forum :D I had a look at your gallery, I like your valley matte a lot!

Greetings from Leipzig :)
Daniel

MatejaPetkovic
07-26-2008, 12:08 PM
My name is Mateja, and i am from Serbia/Belgrade.

I am actually traditional painter and illustrator, but i allways liked mattepainting, especially because i use photography all the time for my work.

Anyway i was hired to do some concept/mattpainting, so i think its time to meet all of you.

Cheers

M

memod
07-27-2008, 01:12 AM
Hey Mateja, welcome :D I am looking forward to your mattes, the paintings in your gallery certainly look very cool already! :)

Daniel

degsieger
08-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi mattepainters and all digital artists,

my name is Dirk and I do some digital art work as Hobby. Mostly I´m interested in mattepainting and compositing since I was in the photography working group in school where I did Black and White Photography with laboratory and also made my first Photo compositing with sicssors, projector and pencil. ;-)

Eshi
09-06-2008, 05:09 PM
i already kinda introduced myself in the first post, using this one to both fill up the gap of two posts being checked for spam so i could continue my new formed life 'ere, and more importantly to appear human, friendly even :)

I used to be a photographer, terragener etc ... but the thing is i cant afford the equipment, last tg render took well over 5days (and that was a preview), and the camera witch is more or less a simple digital snapshot cam, just doesnt cut it, crops are to small, too much noise, iso200 at its best etc... my matte painting exp. is non-existant, unless you count in fixing the already mentioned photos and renders...

i think everything is at least 1y old but here's the:

http://www.artismurder.com/samartian/gallery

I'm not a patient person :) so this is a big step, cause i figgure i'll need quite some time to start doing this on a higher level... and looking at the some of the discussions from the forum ... i have to mention that i see matte-ing as form of art, i have no finnal goal with it (movies games etc.) just art, no more no less...

the human chars:

beer drinker, chain smoker, friendly... errr... did i mention friendly? *suffers from brain blue screens*

tools of trade: under 300euro (500$) value PC (thats with the 22" samsung) ... aaand cheap genious tablet :) works well when you get used to the glitches...

cu all o/

KyleKuhlman
09-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for creating this great thread! I hope to cultivate much knowledge here with you all.

Im Kyle Kuhlman. Ive been working on my matte painting portfolio for a few years now, building on skills from traditional painting and architectural visualization experience.

I have yet to work on any films, but I have some experience doing matte paintings for ballets (video-projected backgrounds) and high-end architectural renders.

I hope to expand my 2.5D skills, and in general, become a better matte painter and concept artist.

If there is anyone looking to collaborate or has an interesting project going on, I would love to help out.

Nice meeting you all :)

here's my portfolio:

http://kylekuhlman.cgsociety.org

DanielVFX
09-09-2008, 06:55 PM
beto, daniel schmid, BLUR PARTY 2008

dimms
09-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Well, i guess that i could to introduce myself in this tread.

Don't really like my official name, so friends calls me - Dimms. Doing matte painting as a hobby, hope one day to come in this industry in a professional role. Having this kind of fun about seven or eight months, using for in about all of my free time. For the moooneeeey im doing a technical design, illustrations and the rest of rubbish like this.

Not so sure, that anyone is really interested in another of my hobbies, so i will don't bother you with this.

So hello, world:)

p.s. Sorry for my rude english.

dudekill
09-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi everyone,
My name is Luke and I am an employed 3D generalist who started matte painting out of necessity. I am really enjoying learning it and find it to be an extremely powerful tool, especially in combination with camera tracking.

my current reel: http://www.vimeo.com/user552550/videos

Best Regards

egan
09-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi guys,

I'm Richard, 22 just graduated from a specialist illustrations degree. I'm based in London and I'm pursuing digital matte painting and hope to make it my profession. As well as mattes I also do a little wildlife painting in the old traditional mediums. I very much look forward from learning from you all.

chanizz
10-07-2008, 06:25 AM
Hiya all, wohoo first post on cgtalk!

Im Johan, 20 yo from sweden studying game graphics. but im thinking abot aspiring to become a mattepainter, the little i've done so far has been much more fun than the usual uvwmapping and whatnots that comes with doing 3d for games.

mvh

gavobe
11-20-2008, 12:29 AM
I buy a ebook obout matte painting by 2Dartist from Tiberius Viris. And why have alot to learn about that stuff.He is a big artist. I work with photoshop,painter and bryce.I ame a newbie in that stuf and spent a hole day for to learn.
I loved
all regards

xiaobaorui
11-22-2008, 05:12 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g52/284752/284752_1227525805_submedium.jpg
and me,I am working in beijing china,27 years old.glad to make friends from all around the earth.

eyecon
12-09-2008, 04:05 PM
xiaobaorui: Hi! Thanks for dropping by and hope to see more of your work! :bounce:

lukedesmith
12-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Hi everyone this is a great thread. I wish I had stumbled onto it sooner!:cool:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk74/lukedesmith/100_0069.jpg

timmyhol
12-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi,
My name is Tim, I trained as a traditional animator and worked at EA for a couple of years. My real passion is drawing and painting, and I studied oil painting at a school in South London. Recently that came to an end and I have been developing a Matte portfolio. I hope at some point to get work in a post production house in London. I've been using CGtalk for ages but only just found the Matte section!

TND
01-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi guys
My name is alexei, im 20 and live in switzerland. Been doing digital spaceart since 2005 and now also some more photography. THis has given me lots of good personal stock and now im starting to get into Matte

My first WIP: link (http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/3159/mattewip2ei6.jpg)

Any C&C would be much appreciated

TND
01-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Hello
My name is Alexei, im 20 and live in switzerland
ive been doing space art since 2005, and now that i also do alot of photography i have some good rescources for matte and have started a few projects

this is a wip of my first big one:
Link (http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/3159/mattewip2ei6.jpg)

Any feedback would be much appreciated

kaustavsinha
01-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Hi Everyone,
This is Kaustav Sinha from Kolkata, India! I'm an aspiring Digital Matte Painter! I like the art of Digital Matte Painting very much! My favourite tool is Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended.
Kindly provide your feedbacks on my mattepaintings!
http://kaustavsinha.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Glazyrin
01-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Hi. My name is Dmitriy Glazyrin. Im from Russia.
I am engaged matte-painting some months. Has fallen in love with this technics and I wish to make its trade. Now actively I study 3d soft and I study to draw sketches.It will be interesting to communicate and share experience

my some works
http://glazyrin.cgsociety.org/gallery/