PDA

View Full Version : connecting an fbik skeleton to a bound skeleton. how?

dalmanna
03-28-2006, 08:23 PM
hi,

having trouble making my fbik rig drive my bound skeleton. i got in to this problem because i set up my blend shapes before applying fbik on my bound rig. Now when i try and apply fbik to my bound skeleton it tells me it can't because of the input connections on certain joints. i think it means my blend shapes which sucks because they took ages to set up.

all i need to know is, is there a work around or do i have to connect a different fbik skeleton to this one. if so how is this done.

any ideas.

animationrigs
03-28-2006, 10:42 PM
It says there are inputs or that the joint isn't in it's default pose?

nottoshabi
03-28-2006, 11:41 PM
Whats an fbik skeleton?

dunkelzahn
03-29-2006, 07:20 AM
Well, tough luck. Same thing happened to me. I trashed the FBIK concept for my project, because of that flaw using blendshapes. I like your idea of a FBIK skeleton driving another blendshape skeleton. Use expression or driven keys to connect your joint rotations as these should only block the outgoing connections.

Tell me if it works!

VM
03-30-2006, 08:50 AM
yeah, I trashed my fbik dreams of glory too when I realized that actually it can't be used... for real. it's cute, but... that's all. now that doesn't mean fbik is completelly useless, just that I couldn't find use for it ;). I'm sure it will be properly integrated in future verions of maya.

one problem I had for example was the rolling joints, and I asked, but nobody answered, so I don't know even to this day, what's the problem with roling joints in fbik and if there is any misterious way that they'd work (ex: you twist the wrist and instead of a wrist full rotation, a rolling-joint rotating 50% and the elbow rotating 0%, you get a wrist rotating along with the elbow at 100%).

another thing is that fbik seems to be a... perfectly closed system in itself, it doesn't comunicate with anything else around it, which is your problem, I guess. I don't think there is a way around it. I also tried to have the fbik skeleton drive another skeleton, but I don't think it's possible. I'd be really happy if somebody found a way and is willing to share his knowledge :)

dalmanna
04-01-2006, 11:17 PM
i was a bit strapped for time on this project so i thought sod it and used my normal rigging methods. i think you can connect an fbik rig to a blend shape rig i tried quickly and got a load of double transformations but theres a work around for that. i'll keep trying and i'll stick up the solution when it works.

nottoshabi: a fbik skeleton is one that is attached to the Full Body IK system in maya 7 though for now it seems more trouble than its worth:D

cheers everyone for replying

dalmanna
04-01-2006, 11:19 PM
It says there are inputs or that the joint isn't in it's default pose?

yeah it says inputs coz theres set drivens on my blend shapes.

dunkelzahn
04-03-2006, 09:23 AM
...i think you can connect an fbik rig to a blend shape rig i tried quickly and got a load of double transformations but theres a work around for that. i'll keep trying and i'll stick up the solution when it works...

Yeah, do that. IŽll do some testing myself when time and projects permit me. Did you try and link the joints rotations together by expressions?

Cheers

Chris

CGTalk Moderation
04-03-2006, 09:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.