PDA

View Full Version : pointOnCurve node?

neonoodle
03-28-2006, 05:36 PM
is there a node that will give me the same values as a pointOnCurve mel command? I'm trying to connect a number of locators to points on a curve but want to use nodes instead of expressions.

scottiedoo
03-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Hey Dave, how is it going?

I'm not sure what you exactly want to do, but here is one way to get what I think you want?

This will create a locator on the selected "point" not "CV" and it will then connect the point to the locator so you can just move the locator and the curve will change. Is that what You want?

First, create you curve if you haven't done so already

Second, go into the component selection mode and make sure the point selection is active

Then select the point on the curve you want to connect the locator to.

Now go to Deform -> Point On Curve (assuming you are using Maya 7)

A locator should now be created for you and you can then center the pivot and rename it. Now the locator will control that point on that curve and will only move if the locator is moved so the curve can move any way and that point will stay put.

Is that what you are after?

Good Luck!
-Scott

neonoodle
03-28-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the reply, Scott.
I'm looking for kinda the reverse of your suggestion, with the curve controlling the position of the locators. I came up with a workaround where I have a stretchy spline IK attached to the curve and then the locators attached to the joints to keep them on the curve but it would be great to be able to get rid of the joints altogether.

Thanks!
David

john_homer
03-28-2006, 08:17 PM
is there a node that will give me the same values as a pointOnCurve mel command? I'm trying to connect a number of locators to points on a curve but want to use nodes instead of expressions.

just use attach to motion path.

.j

neonoodle
03-28-2006, 09:47 PM
awesome. Why didn't I think of that? :)

scottiedoo
03-28-2006, 11:34 PM
ah, there you go, cool!

appppo
03-28-2006, 11:43 PM
There is a script you can create PointOnCurve and Surface node with a click.

http://www.dstruevision.com/CG/scripts/scriptIndex.html

wrend
03-29-2006, 12:22 AM
pointOnCurve -ch 1; (wire result into locator/obj)
or an even lighter version:
paramLocator curvyPoos.u[x]; (underworld locator)

c.

neonoodle
03-30-2006, 06:22 PM
thanks! Those are exactly what I was looking for

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2006, 06:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.