PDA

View Full Version : Remove tags script

edfenner
03-28-2006, 04:54 PM
For a new project I have I am getting .obj files. When I open them I have a thousand pieces each with a useless texture tage.
Can a script be written to remove the tag and to walk it's way down the object manager to remove them all?
I don't want to waste a bunch of time trying to write it, if it can't be done.

Thanks.

tcastudios
03-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Copy one of the offending Tags to the top parent. Then right click it and "Select identical Child Tags" and delete.

Cheers
Lennart

edfenner
03-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks - but, that doesn't really cut it. First most of the objects are not children. Yes, I could group everythig and then use your procedure and then ungroup. Just too much work for the size of the project.
I can use "Tag Manager" to select them all and delete - while a little less work, still not great. And because I have other manipulations to make, I am really thinking a script that I can apply after import is my best bet.

ed

JDP
03-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Yes it's possible. Have at look at the remove() function listed under the Baselist2d class in the sdk. Sorry haven't got time right now to show you any code but if you do some research at www.plugincafe.com you should find the answers you need for how to search through all objects and tags in a document.

edfenner
03-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks - I don't mind searching for the answers, just wanted to make sure they were out there before spending the time. Appreciate the reply

ed

tcastudios
03-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Sounds like a really usefull script/plugin if made. Not only for deleting but selecting as well.
Don't have time atm myself but I would think dragging any Tag into a Linkfield maybe (giving the ID), that Tag type could be selected either globaly (for your case) or only under a selected parent.

Cheers
Lennart

Darter
03-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Why not use the Select Tool with Texture Tags checked?

tcastudios
03-28-2006, 08:45 PM
I am thinking of all other type of Tags, including Plugin Tags. In Phytools for example it is often needed to select - many- Tags of a specific type to make editing.

Cheers
Lennart

Darter
03-28-2006, 09:09 PM
I was referring to this particular situation. The ability to do this for any specified tag type(s) would definitely be useful, as would the ability to select and delete automatically.

edfenner
03-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Darter,
That certainly works. I am looking for something as part of a bigger picture though. As Lennart says there are some other situations that having this automated would really come in handy. I will get to work on it and let everyone know if I get anywhere.

ed

tcastudios
03-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Hm. In DiTools there is a TagList option, but I can only make it select one tag.
Next "allmost" option I found is "Global On/Off by Studio Fabian.
There you can nail a selected Tags ID and then by clicking "Select" all identical tags are selected either globaly or "Active Group Only".

Cheers
Lennart

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2006, 09:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.