PDA

View Full Version : Rolling back Photoshop: 7.0 or CS?

LoTekK
03-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Okay, I had to ponder for a bit whether to post this here or in the Photoshop subforum, but I felt like it would fit better here since my primary use of PS is for painting, rather than photo work or graphic design.

Anyways, it's been a looong time since I moved up to CS2, but for performance reasons, I seriously need to roll back to either 7 or CS once I manage to dig through my junk to look for the CDs. While I do that, I was hoping to get a general impression of what people are using, and what the heck the differences were in the brush engine between 7 and CS, as well as the performance differences, since it's been years since I've used 7.0, and almost a year since CS. I'd google, but all of the hits I've gotten in my various searches cover only the photography side of things. To sum up:

1. How much did the brush engine change between 7.0 and CS? What were the significant additions/improvements to it in CS?

2. How much of a performance difference was there between the two? I remember upgrading to CS2 saw a pretty godawful drop in responsiveness and a huge jump in resource requirements.

3. Assuming I go with 7.0, is there any way to get my custom brushes from CS2 into 7.0? I've got a bunch of those that I've gotten pretty comfortable with over time.

Thanks!

Kasuhaku
03-27-2006, 02:35 PM
1. How much did the brush engine change between 7.0 and CS? What were the significant additions/improvements to it in CS?

A few options where changed, in CS you're able to adjust softess /hardness of the brush in the same menue. Otherwise I can't think of anything particular outstanding... all in all I'd say CS is a bit more organised than 7.0

2. How much of a performance difference was there between the two? I remember upgrading to CS2 saw a pretty godawful drop in responsiveness and a huge jump in resource requirements.

I worked with 7.0 for a few months and yeas.. it does use a lot more ressources than 7.0, but there isn't much difference between CS and 7.0. Never used CS 2, though, so I can't give you any information about the difference between CS and CS 2.

3. Assuming I go with 7.0, is there any way to get my custom brushes from CS2 into 7.0? I've got a bunch of those that I've gotten pretty comfortable with over time.

Yup! That's the big plus - any brush created with Photoshop will work in 7.0 and CS. It's not possible to use 7.0 brushes in Photoshop 6.0 since the brushes aren't compatible, but you don't plan to use 6.0 or do you :D

LoTekK
03-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks. Apparently brushsets saved in CS2 won't open in 7.0, but that's not too much of a big deal. I found my crap, and it occurred to me that I could simply install both side by side to compare. 7.0 opens significantly faster than CS, but it's missing the one key feature that I've gotten used to over the years: when in either of the fullscreen modes, 7.0 doesn't allow you full freedom to pan the picture (ie, if the pic is smaller than full screen, you can't pan it off-center). So funnily enough, that was the major dealbreaker. So, I'm now pretty happy with CS; it starts up slower than 7.0, but it's still significantly faster than CS2 (what a pig of a program that is).

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-27-2006, 07:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.