PDA

View Full Version : Band of Bothers

Kodahl
03-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Hi All!

Thanks to Brian and all the people voting to get this forum up and running and good luck in the future. Let's hope it's as bright and fast as we're used to.

Is there any way to elimintate banding in the finished EI file format? I find it especially problematic when using all kinds of volumetrics. Like fog or glow. As far as I know the EI format only supports 8bits of color info. It's been a while since my last heavy use of EI and there has been added a few file formats. Are there any of the new formats that support more than 8 bit color depth?
If not, any workarounds? It becomes really problematic when trying to composite in AE7. I get quite a lot of these bands.

Giacomo_M
03-27-2006, 06:24 PM
I love your thread title!

My general solution for this type of problem is: render in passes and add stuff like glows in post. I realize this might be tricky for stuff like volumetrics, but really, I don't think there's any other way to get as much control.

GM

Vizfizz
03-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement. We want this forum and the EI community to expand!

Yes, EI is still limited to 8 bits, however, enough users have been nagging EITG for a change in this department, so I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up soon. Until then, about the only development in the area of color management lies with Northernlights AG Cineon shader.
Check it out. Its still 8 bits, but color space is managed a little more effectively.

http://www.northernlights3d.com/AG_Shaders/agproducts.html

Reuben5150
03-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the words of encouragement. We want this forum and the EI community to expand!

Yes, EI is still limited to 8 bits, however, enough users have been nagging EITG for a change in this department, so I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up soon. Until then, about the only development in the area of color management lies with Northernlights AG Cineon shader.
Check it out. Its still 8 bits, but color space is managed a little more effectively.

http://www.northernlights3d.com/AG_Shaders/agproducts.html

Actually AG Cineon is a really interesting shader, not only can it do HDRI via Cineon conversion and post process, but also improved specular highights and lowlights within EI, light wrapping (you can actually wrap light around an object ! ) and super-fast Sub-surface scattering. :thumbsup:

Reuben

CGTalk Moderation
03-27-2006, 08:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.