PDA

View Full Version : Rigging and Skinning my Alien

The-Tox
03-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Hello Everyone.

My name is Maurice and im very new to the forum and 3Ds.

I recently started to make a Alien (From the movies) I used lots of tutorials to get my model as far as it is at this moment.

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/8232/alientoxforum0lf.jpg

Most stuff works but I Have still big issues with some rigging and Envelopes that I can't solve.

* For example the tail of the alien. There should be a easier way to Animate the tail,
becouse now I have to set eitch part of the tail seperate.

* The arms. I need to get the helpers and CTRL's to work right. But they don't. I can't even
Move the Elbow seperate from the arm.

* The mount. I can't seem to get the Envelopes in the right possition so they don't effect
unwanded vertexes.

* Lots of issues with the Envelopes. I tried to find a better way to solve my problem. but
it seems there isn't any.

I hope some of you can help me to fix my model a little or give me some solutions on how
I could fix my problems.

I uploaded my Project to Ihud. http://www.ihud.com/file.php?file=270306/1143461215/Alien%20Model%20rigged%201.max

I Thank you for helping me with my project. And ofcourse you get credits in the Alien vs Marine mod for HL2.

PEN
03-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Well I suggest doing all the tutorials on rigging that ship with Max. That is the best place to start as your questions are very vague at best an it sounds like you have a long way to go before you understand just how to make all of this work.

3DQUAKERS
03-28-2006, 02:49 PM
If you're into serious high-end rigging, check out RiggingPRO (http://3dquakers1.com/webroot5/index.php)
If you need more info, you can email or pm me.

The-Tox
03-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Yeah Im sorry for not giving the full information about my problem. I'll try to make it a little more clear.

The bones rigging I can learn myself if I could get some great tutorial. Problem with the tutorials included on my Max extra cd, is that it doesn't really explain what everything exactly does. They only say. IK SOLVER from upperlegbone to lowerlegbone. And then I see that it bends. But I wanna know what it Exactly does. And what the best options are for every bonestructure.

But there are some more problems. One of my biggest problems is the Envelopes on my skin.
When I goto envelop mode and try to get all envelopes right. I get problems like this...

The envelope doesn't match the shape i want... Nomather how big or small I make the radius. Do I need more bones? Or can someone explain how to effect only some areas (even outside/inside the envelope) That the envelope will effect. In the picture down here you see That the envelope doesn't only effect the Jaw and that it doesn't even fully effect the upperJaw bone. These detailed envelopes give me lots of troubles...Even on other parts of the body. Or please draw on my picture how the envelopes on this part of the head should be setup.
http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/8056/needmorevertexesoutsideenvelop.jpg

Next big problem is that some envelopes effect vertexes outside of the envelope. Next example is the Left arm of the Alien. You see that the upper part of the shoulder and some vertexes on the chest are fully effected without being inside of the envelope. Ofcourse I don't need to explain what my goal in the area is. If this is about manual weight of vertex...Please explain how this works. Tutorials didn't include this problem.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/9530/unwantedvertexes5rz.jpg

I hope I was a lil more precise about my problem. I thank you all for the help.

Greetings The-Tox

The-Tox
03-31-2006, 07:59 PM
Noone that can help me ? :'(

virtualmesh
04-01-2006, 02:29 PM
bake your envelop weights into the verts and paint-weight them to your likening.
moving the elbow in IK should be done in route to the IK swivel.

when I purchased my license of 3dsmax for about $3000 a couple of years ago (that price was included in my educational tuition fees), I realized that my purchase was an investment. In effect I did not want to piss my money away so I did the tutorial CD a few times while attending a 3d animation program at the local Art Institute for my area, which taught animation using 3dsmax during evenings (perfect for 9a-5p workers). To this date, I've spent more money on training than I did for the actual license of the software, but it's worth it if you are in my situation.

If you're not in the 3d-industry like I am but really enjoy animation, you have to pay out some additional money in order to grasp the knowledge required to make the program work in the way you want it to. Practice follows that.

First and foremost, refer to the tutorial CD that came with max. That's part of the resulting product you paid for. Second, extend to areas of interest by referring to vtms that are sold online. These can be boring but at the same time, they're sort of interactive and can give you some new ideas. I got a lot of head-way with cg-academy (the web site), I'd check their offerings out.

Lastly, the best method to learning a program is to attend a night-course or something like that...having a real-live person teaching you and answering your questions live is the best way to learn any program.

Illusion-shadow
04-01-2006, 07:25 PM
I am not trying to be a salemen, but if you really want to get an inside look on the right way to set up rig and skin your character, I would really suggest you to buy some tutorial cd, I mean the good on. Rigging pro is pretty good, I just finish watching it, and I probably will watch it a few more time. Another good one would be Paul Neale rigging DVD set. There are only so much you can learn by yourself. These expert know how to do it and do it right. I strongly suggest you to spend some money to buy it.

Davidxt
04-09-2006, 06:57 AM
I've had similar problems while rigging. This tutorial really helped...

http://cal3d.sourceforge.net/modeling/tutorial.html

The-Tox
04-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Thank you guys... Specially Akia for the tutorial. More help on my vertex problem is welcome

CGTalk Moderation
04-11-2006, 05:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.