PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Wierdness

SpoonB
03-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi everyone

I have this problem with the smoothing, at least thats what I think it is, with my car. The reflections seem to be taking steps instead of being smooth. The mesh is a good condition, and all appropriate edges smoothed - so i'm not entirely sure what to do.

Please help asap - since deadlines are approaching.

alexx
03-27-2006, 02:26 PM
is that a maya software rendering?
are you sure you have enough samples for the anti aliasing settings?
for a scene like that you might wanna use at least 4/8 or even 5/10 (maya software render).

if all does not help, render double size and scale down with a good filter in your post app.

cheers

alex

SpoonB
03-27-2006, 03:29 PM
No, i'm using MentalRay. I would have thought the odd reflections would have been something to do with the polys and edges?

alexx
03-27-2006, 03:40 PM
no i dont think so.

just take a very small part of a problematic area and tweak the min and max AA samples until you are satisfied. start as low as you are and modify one value after the other until you find the best balance.
the way the rendering looks right now is that you have enough samples for the outline anti aliasing but not for the reflections.

also test the different filter methods.

cheers

alex

dangermouse
03-27-2006, 11:11 PM
what is it reflecting exactly? looking at the backdrop it seems very irregular and angular (assuming that it's done in maya). i can't comment on the AA settings, i have no idea how they would relate to reflections other than the clarity, but the angular nature of the reflections implies to me that either the surface is angular (which it definitely doesn't appear to be) or what it's reflecting is. if it's reflecting something textured, could it be the texture at fault?

i dunno, i'm a self proclaimed noob, just tryin to help ;)

SpoonB
03-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks for your help fellas. So tell me Alexx, your saying i need to adjust a setting to smooth out the reflections? If so how what setting am I looking for? Would it be in the materials preferences or the lights, or even the Render Globals?! I'm getting a little lost with all the settings here.

Btw, while i'm here, can anyone give me a clue (tutorial, advise) about depth of field in Mental Ray? And Motion Blur too come to think of it. I would love to make it appear is if the wheels are spinning. This stuff is all new to me:D

Thanks again.

alexx
03-28-2006, 09:44 AM
ok.. first of: sorry.
i am looking at your picture on a good minitor now and not on my very bad at home.

the reflections seem fine here but not the sharp edges (so that is exactely the other way around i mentioned above :)

just take the right front light where the aliasing looks worst to me and do a region render on that. (very small region indeed)
now in the render globals change the min and max sampling to e.g. 2/2 and see if it gets better. use the lowest settings possible. maybe 1/2 already helps.

then also in the render globals use the "mitchell" filter which might help as well.

about the DOF: try doing it in post. render a luminance depth pass and tweak it in your post application until you are satisfied.

cheers

alex

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2006, 09:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.