PDA

View Full Version : about windows 2000

saj
12-25-2001, 12:02 PM
ive having trouble with windows 2000. the problem is that my machine keeps on freezing up completly.... im talking about total LOCK up any ideas.....ive got the latest drivers for my system and the hardisk format is ntfs...

system spec:

duron 700
epox motherboard
20 hd
32meg geforce2mx
768 ram

thanx

Chewey
12-25-2001, 12:23 PM
When is it locking up? During powering up/booting?

Have you tried booting in safe mode?
What version of the video drivers are you using? Have you made sure your bios are set properly? What type of memory are you using?
Have your tried removing all but one memory chip?

hmm...

saj
12-25-2001, 12:31 PM
it locks up when im using application like max softimage, word mp3 manily everything. ive taken the memory but it still happens..
my video shadowing is all disabled in the bios and ive got the latest detonator drivers. ive also installed sp2 and incresed the virtual memory to 3 and a half time my ram...the memory im using is 2 pc 100 128 chips and 1 pc 133 512 chip but in the bios there running at 100 ns

any ideas

Chewey
12-25-2001, 01:10 PM
I'd try an earlier version of the video drivers. The newest revs aren't always the most stable. I've seen dozens of posts about how lock ups were caused by the video drivers. Make sure you don't have older components of your video drivers still installed. You must remove them or you'll have problems. Do a search to find them and get rid of them.

I'm not a big fan of mixing memory chip types.
Try having just the single 133 memory chip installed and see if you have better stability.

Try running in safe mode(not fun) and see if you still encounter lock ups.

saj
12-25-2001, 02:40 PM
thanx chewey...one more question do u know of any problem running soft xsi 1.5 with a fat32 system..i ask this because before i changed my system to ntfs it was fat32 but each time i rendered in xsi my computer would just crash..btw this is why i changed to ntfs....but now i get the lock ups happening[in ntfs]...just wondering if anyone else encountered problems with using fat32 or ntfs with 3d applications.

Veneficuz
12-26-2001, 06:58 AM
I used win2k (ntfs-file system) together with 3dsmax and had no problem, but that was without any os-upgrades. I also tried Lightwave and Maya with same system without any problems.

halo
12-26-2001, 07:03 AM
try using 3dmark to completely test your gfx system out and a simmtester from www.simmtester.com to check your ram is ok...if you can get it to crash under 3dmark then it probably gfx related so you can work with earlier drivers and bios settings to see what happens

saj
12-26-2001, 08:18 AM
thanx guys ill try that, uv all been really helpful

mikman
02-01-2002, 04:35 PM
What about a bios update? just make sure you flash from a floppy and keep the old version just incase

florisvink
02-14-2002, 05:29 PM
You can also try to download the latest chipset drivers. Sometimes harddisks need special registry sets. This is automaticly done when you install you're chipset drivers.
Another options is that your CPU is instable. Try to set your CPU at some lower clock-frequency.

flo

Taoizm
02-14-2002, 06:21 PM
dont' forget to check the event viewer under the admin tools to see if there are any weird errors popping up.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.