PDA

View Full Version : RE: TV commercials

phix95
03-27-2006, 06:55 AM
There are certain TV commercials and/or bumpers where I ask "how'd they do that?" I try to come up with ideas about it but never know if I am right. Is there some expert in AE or even just in design re: motion graphics that, if I attached an example of one of these commercials, they could give me some clues? I do not want to copy it, but it may help me to come up with new ideas.

thanks

Ian Jones
03-27-2006, 08:04 AM
Absolutely, shoot away. That's what we're here for. (im not an expert, moreso intermediate)

phix95
03-28-2006, 04:31 AM
I just realized that I cannot upload a file big enough to show any examples. But has anyone seen the Voices of Color commerical for the evil Wal Mart? I loved that one. Or the titles for Seven, Spiderman... http://www.imaginaryforces.com/if.html. I'd like to do commercials or titles myself. I need someone to deconstruct one for me so I can see their thinking process.

Another thing is I've had a class in After Effects. But not in design of motion graphics. I have a moderate design bg. I want to know HOW do you guys come up with your ideas? On some of those bumpers/commercials, there is so much going on, so many layers, so many effects, that I cannot fathom how one would think all that out. I made 3 projects in class, all got A's but I don't put them up for my reel b/c they just do not compare. And I worked HARD on them.

Like, how do you come up with "cool" title sequences? Movies now have beautiful intros. But some of those car commercials for instance are crazy. Where do you get your ideas? And some of it has to do with not knowing the applications capabilities. Like I would never think of using "xyz" effect b/c I never saw it before. So obviously, it wouldn't be put into a project.

I realize a client would have some parameters, ideas, and assets already so you would have a starting point. Anyone know of things that would teach me what I'm looking for? I cannot just look at examples and think "oh yeah, ok. I could do that." I was going to take a Combustion class but I am penniless right now b/c of ER costs.

Any ideas?

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2006, 04:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.