PDA

View Full Version : Why Morpher don't work properly with skin wrap

bigguns
03-27-2006, 02:55 AM
I put a skin wrap on my character because I only skinned the low poly version I did. When I apply the morpher under the skin wrap He didn't work and when I put the morpher over the skin wrap, it morph but by moving in the initial pose. I explain, I have a character and he is animated(suppose that the shoot when I need to activated the morph my, character have his arms crossed), so for exemple, when I actived the morpher to morph the trapezius, He juste uncrossed his arm and get to the original shape of the mesh but with the trapezius moprhed. It's a very bad thing :( Can't belevie that autodesk leave it bugged like that.. I hope I'm missing something... I just can't get morpher for the head.. no morpher at all.

Hope someone can Help me

PEN
03-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Works perfectly here and I use this all the time. What are the exact steps that you are taking.

Illusion-shadow
03-27-2006, 02:19 PM
I am sure there are no bug involve with the skin wrap and morpher modifier, it work fine here in my studio and we use it day in and day out. Like Paul said, I think we need to know the process and see where it went wrong. But before that, I think you should try to convert your skinwrap to skin and see if it will work. The skin modifier should ALWAYS be on top of the morpher modifier.

bigguns
03-28-2006, 04:27 AM
Hi! thank's for your quick reply!

here is the link of screen shot of my interface, I hope it will be more clear.

http://img477.imageshack.us/my.php?image=montageskinning6am.jpg

My exact steps are I put the morpher modifier, do the morph, load the target, after I had the skin wrap... and It stop to work.... And I also try to convert to skin... it work like if I just put a basic skin on him...... with big envelop...berkk!

I seriously don't understand why it didn't work. Nothing happen when I raised the morpher.

Waiting any reply! Thank's a lot guys!

PEN
03-28-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm still not sure even when looking at your image what you are doing and why it isn't working. I do have one question...Why do you have 4 Skin Morph modifiers on the model? You shouldn't be needing more then one usualy. What is it that you are doing with all of them?

bigguns
03-28-2006, 02:22 PM
I have many skinmorph because I like to name each of them with the name of the muscle instead of having one and have to rollout and scroll up and down. I know I can name those skin moprh and add as many bone as I want in only one, but I find more quickly accessible to have couples of skinmorph named( I know for the moment they are not named, it's just for test)

I also put skin moprh on the low poly to correct the biggest problem and add skin moprh on the hi mesh to have more precise control.

Does he have a special time to put the morpher or the skin wrap? I tried to do the morpher first and after the skin wrap.. and it didn't work.

And in his back, I put some muscle patch, it's a plugin called Catmuscle. Maybe he have an issue with this plugins and the morpher modifier?

and I have a question, do you use some shape with linked x-form to control some muscle?
And also, I would like to do a sphere that is bulging and streching between 2 bones.. like a muscle.. and I can't figure doing this. I know nothing about scripting reactions.

Dark Soldier
04-09-2006, 11:20 AM
hi,

i got the same problem, i want to use morpher modifier to either morph the Hi poly or the control mesh, either way , when try to morph either the skinwrap stopes working , the morph doesn't work or the mesh goes back to its original shape.

so what do u do, do u put the morpher on the control mesh or the hi poly mesh , does it go above or below skin wrap, is there a certain procedure u have to follow???

or am i just being stupid or something , tried alot of different combinations, just doesn't seem to work, i like skin wrap but if u can't use morph with it then whats the point?

thanks

can anyone put together a step by step or procedure

bigguns
04-10-2006, 04:14 AM
I'm happy to see that I'm not alone.

It doesn't work for me... I have skin my low res mesh and put a skinwrap on the hi and when add the morpher it doesn't work.

Hope someone can help... I will put a little scene this week to show the problem.. If someone know what is the procedure.. please let us know

Hope we will find the preoblem.

Dark Soldier
04-10-2006, 03:03 PM
hi

well i think i read somewhere that it doesn't work because morpher changes the geometry so skinwrap would have to recalculate everytime theres a change which could slow everything down way to much.

its just bugging me.

PEN, EEK and anyone else really good, do u have these same problems , does it mean that instead of morpher modifier it means complete bone/spline rigs for faces for example.

help?????

Illusion-shadow
04-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Okay, why don't you try this, I've just tried it, it should slove the problem you are having: I am assuming you are loading in your target in the morph target under skinmorph, right? Well, In your skin morph modifier, when you go to edit morph, after you load your morph mesh, select all the vertices and hit the remove vert button, then load in your morph again, when you do that, max will only load in the vertices that is different then the orginal mesh. What happening was max didn't know what you are trying to do, since you are telling max to load all the target vertice from the target mesh, you need to tell it to morph only the vertices you want to have influence on the bone. Let me know if this work for you. If not, we will need to see what is wrong. Have fun rigging!

Dark Soldier
04-10-2006, 04:39 PM
hi

i think there is miss understanding. i know bigguns has specific problems woth Skin morph modifier and skin wrap. what i have also noticed is that the morpher modiifer which i wanted to use for blend shapes on the face does not work.

i don't understand the reason for this. skin wrap is so cool but if morpher modifer does not work then it kinda means face rigs which might be completely unneccassery for alot of characters.

PEN, EEK, can we have your views on it. am i just being really dumb and doing something wrong , i tried a lot of different combos to try get to work

thanks

bigguns
04-11-2006, 02:27 AM
What I try to do is simple.

1- I skinned a low poly version and added some skin morph to correct the skinning.

2- I take my Hi poly version, Add a skinwrap to it and the target is the low poly.

3- I put a Morpher on my Hi version because I want to moprh the face and some muscles.

And the morpher doesn't work if he is under the skinwrap and if he is on top of skinwrap the mesh goes back to its original shape.

So try this with a simple cylinder you will see what's happening. :(

bigguns
04-14-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi all! I put a scene .max to show you the problematic I have. You just have to try to make work the morpher on the hi-res model. Let me know what is wrong please!

Here is the file:

http://www.squeezestudio.com/test_skin_morph.zip

marktsang
04-14-2006, 05:47 PM
convert the skinwarp to skin.... and put morpher under the skin

mark

bigguns
04-14-2006, 09:07 PM
sorry but I tried this... and it's a buggy function... maybe it work fine for low poly, but when you a 15 ooo poly... it's never enouhgt smooth as the skinwrap.... and it almost always crash when I do that.. He have difficulties to convert it to skin... the skin that is generated suck a lot :(

Anymore idea? Pen or someone?

bigguns
04-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Hi all!

I'm happy because I discover that to make working well the convert to skin in the skinwrap, you need to have anything on top of the skin... so me I was having skinmorph and many things. So now when I convert it to skin... my skinning is really good.. no need anymore the low poly version. I will just keep the hight skinned, so I can add morpher and the skin morph. But it could be cool to make morpher work with skinwrap on the same character.

But now I have another problem.. :( The twist bone in the arm, when I try to add a twist pose it stop to work now.. before it was working very well.. and now won't work :( what the hell?? CS is not stable.....

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2006, 04:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.