PDA

View Full Version : HV - help

oblivious
03-26-2006, 10:20 PM
hypervoxel network render doesn't match 1 CPU test render

I have made a scene using a basic, "billowing" HV effect. I previewed it using VIPER as I tuned it up and then committed to making a couple animation tests on my workstation.
Satisfied with the potential, I decided to run LWSN and now I have completely different results coming in. It seems the parameters for the scene file are being interpereted differently from one another.

Does HV stuff not work with screamernet?
Having sucessfully created image sequences using LWSN before under this same LWSN directory, is there a step I might be missing to get these systems on the same page?

gerardo
03-27-2006, 05:26 AM
I think I misunderstood your question. You are using only 1 CPU. Are you using dual processors? some volumetric effects doesn't play well with more than one thread. Have you begun to render in the same frame than your Viper test? if you are tiing the HVs to particles, perhaps is better if you to save the motion of the particles calculation :)

Gerardo

oblivious
03-27-2006, 01:29 PM
As it turns out, I do have different types of processors rendering on the network, so that would possibly explain some things. Since I have to work with what's here, I'll probably just split the scene file up somehow to distribute the effects and composite them in post.

Thanks.

oblivious
03-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Gerardo, thanks for the input.

All of the systems I'm using have 2+ cpu (so will be threaded). I have rendered out test sequences on my primary workstation using threading and things look ok. The problem occurs when I try to send the job out to several (2 or more) other systems.

When you say calculate and save the motion, is there a way of adding to that, the assurance that the parameters for each effect remain the same?

Triple G
03-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Sounds like you need to save a .pfx file of your particles' motions. In the emitter's dynamics tab, go to File->Save Motion. Also, sometimes simply turning on Fixed Random in the Particle tab will be enough, but I usually choose to save a .pfx just to be sure.

gerardo
03-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Yea, as I commented (before to edit my post), some technicians says that different processors types has different routines and this may bring some problems with procedural textures or volumetric effects. I agree with you, it would be good if you can split the render in such a way that same types of processors renders this part.
About if the parameters for each effect remain the same saving the PFX data (in the way as Greg has said), they should remain the same in each render node.

Gerardo

oblivious
03-27-2006, 10:33 PM
I have begun to save the motions for each emitter, but to be on the safe side, decided to render out several layers (1 HV effect per CPU) to composite.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.
Next time I'll plan in advance to have similar equipment and all that lined up.

CGTalk Moderation
03-27-2006, 10:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.