PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a robot

EyeDREAMER
03-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Hi to all!

I'm currently working on a robot project. I'm planning to make a short movie. However, I haven't had big experience with rigging. So, I have few questions:

Do I have to make the model consisted of just one object (Do i have to combine the multiple objects), or I can work like this?
And second, since this is a model of a robot, it would be logical to rotate the parts without affecting the adjacent parts. My question is how can I limit the rotation effect to just certain parts.

I would appreciate every kind of help!

Illusion-shadow
03-27-2006, 01:27 PM
I would use helper or dummy to set up my rig and then link my model to the rig. Doing it this way will also answer your second question. Let say you set up and ik arm and want to make the middle of the wrist be able to spin, since everything is just link, you can still have local control of the object. Just plan out what you want the character to do first then set up a rig for it.

3DQUAKERS
03-28-2006, 01:54 PM
If you're building a robot rig, make sure that you incorporate FK controls (as well as IK) because some joints need to animate in rotation.
An IK/FK rig would be the ultimate solution here.

EyeDREAMER
03-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys a lot. I really appreciate your time. I'll try to work by your advices.
God bless the man that invented forums :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2006, 07:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.