View Full Version : Origins - from Logan to Wolverine

BicKet
03-26-2006, 02:59 PM
LATEST UPDATE :

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/1046/wolv092zm.jpg

BicKet
03-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Hi all,
I started a new personnal project : Origins.
This work is largely inspired by the mini-serie ORIGINS.

There're lots of work about wolverine, this is the most popular Marvel hero...
I don't think i can reach the quality of Pierre Bourgeot (=BLACKNULL=) 's wolverine but i'll try to do a very expressive character. Regards Pierre...

What i want is to catch the moment when the young Logan becomes wolverine, just a suffuring man with lot of pain and anger. The same anger that makes him become a beast and show his bones claws.
The scene takes place before WeaponX, so no metal claws and no yellow licra.

Hope you will like it and sorry for my poor english.

Here is his head model and textured with a fist attempt with fur.

Crits & comment are very welcome.

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/1030/wolv015ws.jpg

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/5938/wolv028bd.jpg

Junerahe
03-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Nice going so far but I think his eyes are too wide apart. Keep it up

BicKet
03-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks for advise Junerahe.

I'll try to move the eyes closer, but think i will lose the beasty look...
I think that kepping the eyes wide apart makes his scream more painfull. Don't you think so ?

BicKet
03-28-2006, 07:33 AM
Here is a little update.

I work on the fur parameters and think that it's now good (the left side of his head)

Tweak the head texture, this texture need more work...

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/wolv-03.jpg

BicKet
03-29-2006, 08:05 AM
Hi folks
Yesterday i change the method to render his Beard. Leave the texture and use Hair.

I think the effect is better when the surface is perpendicular to the point of view => darker.
Please let me know which is the best : Black point texture or HAIRS ?

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8391/wolv044gk.jpg

Squirmy
03-29-2006, 03:10 PM
I like your interpretation of wolverine, but Its hard to visualize this head as woleverine without the hair style. IMO the mouth is a bit wide, probably due to the eyes also being too far apart.

OptimusDinkus
03-29-2006, 03:14 PM
eyes are too big and far apart, like he suffered AFS as a kid or something

BicKet
03-31-2006, 07:36 AM
Thanks for advice OptimusDinkus, but I don't know what AFS is...

As everyone think they are too wide appart, I'll try this week end to put the eyes closer without losting the "animal" look.

odf
04-01-2006, 08:07 AM
This is awesome. I love it. :bounce: You've got the creature look down perfectly and still you model looks more real and expressive than 90 percent of what I've seen on this site. Eyes and mouth are perfect as they are. They've obviously been modeled like that for a reason. An artist needs to know and master the "rules", but also know when and how to leave them behind.

Can't wait to see the body that goes with this. Keep it up!

BicKet
04-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Odf : thanks for support.

J_ray : hope you like this hair style.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/1640/wolv058tm.jpg

RustyNail
04-03-2006, 06:50 PM
I love your model, but his nose looks a bit wide and his eye are a tad bit far apart. keep up the nice work.:thumbsup:

cshanks
04-04-2006, 08:12 AM
has a good feel to it. His eyes need to be more dialated or something. More red eyes. How bout those features though. I do like the distortion of the face in that it looks like he's getting blasted with wind or something, but I think for a relaxed pose those distortion would have to be more subtle. But right on man. good stuff.

zombiehellmonkey
04-04-2006, 08:41 AM
I like the expression. I know it's been said a few times before already, but it's still bugging me that the eyes are so far apart. I would bring the eyes together so it looks natural, and use his eyebrows and expression to make him look more beast-like if that is what you want. Otherwise, people will continue to ask 'why are his eyes so far apart?'

Good job so far.

:thumbsup:

Bett
04-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Hi BicKet,

He looks really furious (maybe can he drool like a pitbull :scream: ). Think you should continue with the body before tuning Hairs and detais. The whole character will guide you to the right expression...

Anyway, keep on with that good job.
Wait for the body and the pose you will choose for him.

BicKet
04-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi guys, i hear all your advices. So i decide to modify the potology of his face.
Now I need to tweak the textures that doesn't match the model anymore...

Don't be Shy, I need you opinion.
Comments and Critics are always welcome :bounce: .

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8440/wolv06b5jc.jpg

abz
04-06-2006, 08:59 AM
good work!!
cheers!!

authentic
04-06-2006, 09:20 AM
My opinion is that I love this style of head. realist and stylize in the same time so :thumbsup:
But I find a little something to crit, I think the wrinkles on the nose are too much symetrical. you know go down at the down part, then a very too mch straight line and then go top.
MAybe a little more work on lips but don't loose your style.

echom
04-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Hey there,
first thing: luvin it. Although it's not quite my interpretation of the Wolverine that I have in mind it's really cool. Love the mixture of realism and stylistic approach.

However, I think that the hair on his cheecks looks a little too combed. Imho, the single hairs are too long (well for a Wolverine quite rightly so) to stay as parallel as this. I've not worked with hair yet, but maybe you could get a little noise/chaos in.

Good luck with this awesome model... :D

BicKet
04-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Hi all of you,

abz : thanks for support.

authentic : i hear you and think you are right. I'll change the wrinkles of the nose later in progess bt be sure i'll take in consideration your adice.
Merci beaucoup, a cet etape de la modeliation, j'ai une faible visibilitÚ critique sur le travail accompli. Ta remarque tombe a point : avant que je retouche la texture. MERCI.

echom : you are right, thids was just a test with hairs, i ill txeak then after and take in consideration your advice. Thanks...

Here is a major UPDATE for me :) : The top of his body (please remember that's it's a young Wolverine so please don't put it in front of the BLACKNULL's one :love: ).
Hands are not yet ready to be displayed : maybe tomorrow ... :D

C&C please

http://img305.imageshack.us/img305/286/wolv074pe.jpg

Pollo
04-06-2006, 11:06 PM
I would say he needs more masculine features such as a more chizzled jaw line and more pronounced eyebrow-region. Once the inrease the mass of the eyebrow region and his jaw, you can move the eyes in and smaller and still maintain the look of Wolverine. :)

Flog
04-06-2006, 11:47 PM
oooh so pretty yet so ugly, lol. I love the eyes, he looks like he is pain, and this is definately a more stylized version of Wolverine, but this is one of my favorite pictures of Wolverin I've ever seen.

Please, please finish this as it is an exciting, expressive peice.

Thanks for sharing.

odf
04-07-2006, 04:59 AM
I preferred the version with the more extreme features, but the new one is still awesome. Great upper body, too! I don't agree with the comment that he needs to be more masculine, but then I don't know much about X-men. :)

BicKet
04-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Hello,
I work hard this night to finish his hands...

Pollo : I don't think he is not enough masculine. We are used to see an older wolverine that has lived many adventures, has enhance his strenght, and become a war machine.
My character is a mix of James Howlett (early Logan) and Wolverine. So he's just a "becoming wolverine". Hope you understand

Flog : Thanks, I share all i can to let you see the progress of my work.

Odf : Sorry, I know you prefer the previous version, but i think this one will make him more credible as stylized.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2844/wolv086uv.jpg

To be continued ...

Vectorius
04-07-2006, 10:47 AM
WWOOWW my little Bicket:eek: . i love this interpretation! i'm waiting for next update..the face look so good, much better than the first one.:thumbsup: a little critics for muscles..the separation between the delto´des and the biceps are too hard i think. can you post some wireframe? keep goin on ..c'est du bon boulot!:thumbsup:

Pollo
04-07-2006, 04:02 PM
I preferred the version with the more extreme features, but the new one is still awesome. Great upper body, too! I don't agree with the comment that he needs to be more masculine, but then I don't know much about X-men. :)

Well, Wolverine/Logan is basically the most masculine of the group. Cyclops is more sophisticated/cool-headed and Gambit is more laid back. ;)

odf
04-08-2006, 01:20 AM
The body is coming along great, too. Excellent work on the muscles!

DoctorMonkeyFist
04-08-2006, 03:16 AM
Its coming along great! Do you mean for the eyes to be too far apart?

twin891
04-08-2006, 03:36 AM
Wow that looks absolutely fanastic. The body is soo realistic...Good job

thondal
04-08-2006, 01:47 PM
really nice, love the expression on his face... but yeah, the eyes.. are they supposed to be that far from eachother? just wondering, nice body, and really good face expression:bounce:

-thondal-

Bett
04-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Waoow, it's becomming very interresting. The body seems good, maybe a bit too lean for a wolverine. But as you said, it a young version of the hero.... So let see what it will become.

Do you plan how you will dress him ?

BicKet
04-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Thank you all for comments.

As i don't have much time and i am lazy, the body is based on a mesh i already use for an previous character so i have to adapte it to match the wanted topology.
+ He will be dressed so we will not see his whole body (just head, arms and hands).

I'm still working on the hands that don't please me for the moment (i would like to make him worker hands, strong and large)

Bett : I think i will be dressed as an agricol worker from the beginning of the last century : pants, shirt and suspenders.

Thondal : thanks for encouragements, the eyes are freezed they will not change, this is the way i see my wolverine interpretation.

Twin891 , odf , Fiolka : Thanks.

Pollo : for the moment, he doesn't belong to any group....

Hazzadus : ?!?.

As demanded here are some wireframes. The mesh needs to be cleaned (it remains triangles that don't smooth as well)...

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/1046/wolv092zm.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2865/wolv108rj.jpg

Hope you like :scream: .

May I try to learn Zbrush, in order to add details on the arms and hands....

Bett
12-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi Bicket

I 'm just wondering if you let this project off.
IF NOT i'm waiting for updates ..... That was a good start.

Cheers

thondal
12-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Yup missing updates!!
I┤m in the middle of the eon contest, but wouldnt mind some updates on wolverine.

-thondal-

BicKet
12-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Hi you all

Wolverine is not dead. I'll come soon with some new updates....

CGTalk Moderation
12-26-2007, 01:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.