PDA

View Full Version : Hard to explain move manoeuvre

Pancho
03-26-2006, 09:55 AM
At least in one sentence. If for example I model a head and once managed to create a nice eyelid which fits perfectly on the eyeball, I'd like to lock these polys. Using any kind of move or drag tool afterwards, should affect all these polygons or points in the same way, so that they still have the same position to each other. If I use the drag net tool on the nose and the influence area is still within the eye region I'd like the tool either to move all eye points at the same amount or not affect them at all. As I usually managed to avoid this kind of way to model stuff, I'm curious if there's an easy way to do this. I guess weightmaps might help, but then it's rather boring to open the numeric panel each time you select a tool and choose the weight map function.

And hint would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Pancho

Silvio S
03-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Hi Pancho,

I don't have the answer to your particular question, but what I think you could try
is to create the eye, nose and mouth-areas in separate layers and connect them later on.
Keeps things more manageable.

Cheers

angel
03-26-2006, 02:03 PM
If I understand you correctly.... just hide the areas you do not want influenced by the tool. If you still need the area for your reference copy the head to a new layer and use it as a background.

toonafish
03-26-2006, 05:34 PM
you could also create an endomorph, make your changes on the morph and clear the morph from the points you need to stick.
And when you're done, just apply the morph and delete it.

I also use this trick sometimes when I want to tweak the model and I want to use a tool that's not supported in the symmetry mode. I make changes to my endomorph on one side of the model, and mirror the morph when I'm done. This doesn't work when you need to add or delete geometry off course.

pixelranger
03-27-2006, 07:26 AM
as for dragnet not effecting the eyeballs, it's because dragnet works on continous edges, that is if the eyes are a seperate mesh the dragNet tool won't be able to "grab" the eye ball geometry across the gap between the head mesh and the eye mesh. Using a tool like Magnet, which works based on a world space volumetric falloff, will remedy your problem. A lot of other modifiers works like that also (move, rotate, bend, twist, vortex, pole, taper, etc.)

Pancho
03-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Thanks so far for all the tips. In general I thought about a behaviour which is similar to displacing a UV map in Layout. If several points do have the same position in the UV map they will be displaced at the same amount. Althogh in the model itself they might be far apart from each other, they will move the same distance. I hoped there might be a way to get this effect in Modeler without an UV map, but using something like weights or groups.

Mmmmh. I guess it might not work at all like I imagine it.
Never mind and thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Pancho

pixelranger
03-27-2006, 02:12 PM
you sure can do this with a weight map. Most of the tools have an input parameter where you can select a weight map for falloff.
Actually, the move tool is only the move tool when you have no falloff. If you select linear you suddenly have the skew tool. With radial you have the Magnet tool. With Point radial you have the dragnet tool, and last, with weight map, you have a weight map based move tool (a displacement tool where each point has its own weight - comparable to its own UV value). The same goes for rotate: no falloff is rotate, linear makes it a twist tool, radial makes it a vortex tool, point radial makes it a vortex tool based on mouse position and doesn't work across discontinuous edges, weight map... well, I guess you know what that will do. And similarly with the scale and stretch tool.

CGTalk Moderation
03-27-2006, 02:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.