PDA

View Full Version : DoR Poster

TripletDad
03-26-2006, 04:21 AM
This is my first artwork post here. This poster design is for the Holocaust Days of Remembrance Observance. The figure was pulled together from several different references and the drapery was free-handed. The barbed wire ball represents hatred/intolerance/violence in the world and the red fabric represents bloodshed which is being overcome by the light of justice and truth. Done in Photoshop CS on a Wacom Cintiq. I'm not telling how long I've been working on this!Hope you like it- I'm about 90% happy with it. This was turned in Friday for approval, so if there's anything that needs to be reworked I can still due it on Monday morning.
I welcome any comments and critique.

Albius
03-27-2006, 01:49 AM
Nice- the composition and colors are very good. I'd say the bridge of the nose needs some more work, however- the area around the right eye looks a bit awkward. Also, you might try having the folds of the toga on the left side of the picture curve around her side, keeping the 'flow' of the picture consistent- for good ideas for drapery folds, look at some of Michelangelo's old sculptures.

One other thing I may be confused about: if the light of justice is overcoming evil, why is the symbol of evil heaver?

TripletDad
03-27-2006, 01:05 PM
The balance of the scales is something that I have been wrestling with. Originally I had drawn the figure with the light source from the flame being higher to the right. After getting input from several people, it seemed that the balance of the scales was a "glass half empty or half full" senario. Some said the flame should be higher because good was overcoming evil and that the burden of sin weighed heavier that truth. Other people said that the evil should be higher because the good outweighed the bad. When I tipped the scales the other direction and made the flame lower, it ruined the left to right vertical flow of the piece. If I kept the scales in the same position but swapped the contents of each bowl, that moved the light source to the center and would mean completely redrwawing the figure! I don't know if I still have time for a major rework before dealine, but I do want this to be right!

Thanks for the critique on the figure- my wife had problems with the eye also. The drapery was really hard and I looked at all kinds of classical artwork for help, and I'm still not completely happy with it.

CGTalk Moderation
03-27-2006, 01:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.