PDA

View Full Version : Converting from Maya

Zafoo
03-06-2002, 02:35 PM
Well, It appears that my company is switching from Maya to Soft., much to my dismay (though I'm, at the same time, looking forward to it). I was wondering if there was wondering if anyone could help me with a couple of questions regarding the interface. Basically, I just need to get comfortable with it, and I'll be fine.

1) I'm very used to Maya's use of the X, Y, and Z arrows on the selected object which you can grab and move in that axis only. I understand how you do this in XSI, but when I'm in the perspective viewports, it doesn't move correctly. I'm sure it's just a local/global/object sort of thing, but could anyone tell me how to make it so the constrained movement is set to the world coordinates?

2) is there a short cut to maximize the viewport that the mouse is over?

3) Anything else anyone can add to help the transition

Thanks,
Zafoo

meloncully
03-06-2002, 02:55 PM
well i think that when moving you object around, on the right hand side toolbar there is the world/local tabs and on any transform i.e. scale , translat, rotate, the middle mouse button serves as the Green thing(cant remember axi) the right mouse button the Blue handle and the left is the red handle. So when you have translate on if you click the right mouse button you will move on whatever axis The blue handle is for. I Don't know about the shortcut to maximize, i do know that you can hit that little square thing in the upper right of the viewport. I am a maya user and found that it is fairly eary to learn xsi once you know maya well. I only play around with xsi when i am not using maya.

oh and btw, when you have a transform tool or whatever on, if you look at the bottom of the interface there are three button looking things, next to them when a tool is active the bar will tell you what buttons do which or what button does what action according to that tool

________
meloncully

wlau
03-07-2002, 10:35 AM
Heya,

- default shortcut key for min\maximizing the viewport your mouse is over is F12.

- world\local\view constraints are on the right hand panel, allowing you to switch being the different movement modes.

btw - is your company planning to use xsi 2.0?

wlau

SheepFactory
03-07-2002, 10:57 AM
let me add a question myself :D

does xsi have a pivot point manipulation mode like when you press the insert key in maya and move the pivot to its new location?

thanks in advance

A|i

Zafoo
03-07-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by wlau
Heya,

- default shortcut key for min\maximizing the viewport your mouse is over is F12.

- world\local\view constraints are on the right hand panel, allowing you to switch being the different movement modes.

btw - is your company planning to use xsi 2.0?

wlau

Thanks for the help. I discovered the Global/local/veiw buttons yesterday, and that helped alot. But I wouldn't have found the min/max button easily, so thanks

As for using XSI 2, it appears that way. We're looking around, but Avid has really been hounding us. Trying like hell to partner up with us. I'm really begining to like XSI ( I still love Maya though :) ), and I'm looking forward to get into it more. Nothing is official yet, and it probably won't be for a few months, but it looks like it'll be Soft. Now we just need to decide betwen Linux and Win2k. (I'm pushing Linux)

EdHarriss
03-07-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Sheep Factory
does xsi have a pivot point manipulation mode like when you press the insert key in maya and move the pivot to its new location?

I'm not sure what the insert key in Maya does, but I think what you are looking for is to either use a null or move the "center."

Using a null: place it in the space that you want the object to rotate around, and make the object a child of the null. Now when you branch select the object and rotate it, it will spin around the null.

Another way is...

Select your object, press the "center" button (on the top right) and move the center to the space that you want the object to rotate around.

I think that there are at least 2 more ways to do this, but I don't animate much and as a result I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Good luck with your switch Zafoo. Everyone that I've talked to that has switched from Maya to XSI has been very pleased. Hope you have the same experience.

Zafoo
03-07-2002, 06:37 PM
I wanted to get to a place where I could use XSI before responding to the "insert key" question. You're right Ed on the center button. Insert in Maya allows you to move the pivot point of an object.

You may also want to take a look at a site I came across:

http://roger.rosa.free.fr/resources/download/interface/dskeys.html It lists all of the shortcuts for XSI.

Ed: Thanks for the encouragement. XSI is really shaping up to being a great program. I'm still not liking the SubD and Poly modeling as much as Maya's NURBS, but it's just a matter of getting used to it. I'm at you site quite often for help, so thanks for what you've got up there.

Zafoo

EdHarriss
03-07-2002, 07:43 PM
Glad to hear things are going well for you. Switching from NURBS thinking to SUB-D thinking can be hard at first, but once you've become comfortable with SUB-Ds you'll probably like it almost, or just as, much. As you will come to discover, they both have their strengths and weaknesses, but nothing's impossible, just different.

Glad my site has been able to help you out.
Thanks for the link to the shortcut keys. (I had forgotten about that page)

wlau
03-08-2002, 11:29 AM
Oh another thing Zafoo, there is an abundance of good tools and resources for XSI if you connect to softimage's site through XSI's netview.

You can access netview by selecting it from the drop down list where you change the viewport mode.

There, you have a lot of scripts and information that might help your transition.

Hope that helps,

wlau

Zafoo
03-08-2002, 11:32 AM
Thanks, I'll definately be looking into that.

Zafoo

wlau
04-05-2002, 06:26 AM
Reviving an old thread here, but I was wondering if softimage ever devised a solution to allow you to manipulate elements within the viewport by dragging handles much like what Maya uses?

Or is it always going to be mouse-button depedent?

wlau

EdHarriss
04-05-2002, 08:25 AM
Press the "B" key to activate the manipulators.

wlau
04-05-2002, 10:19 AM
Sorry I should have stated the question more clearly.

When you select say vertices, faces, or edges and then go and manipulate them, is there a way to manipulate (move, scale, rotate) just by clicking on the manipulator handles? Or do you have to use the mouse-button configuration (left = x axis, middle = y axis, right = z axis) ?

wlau

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.