PDA

View Full Version : Max Q: Position Constraint AND Manual Control at same time?

Maxim_311
03-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Right now I'm messing around rigging up a face and I ran into a question I have had for a while now. Is it possible to have a object position constrained to other objects, but still have control of the object in question when you select it?

In my case when I was rigging up the mouth I wanted the control for the corner of the mouth to follow the jaw when it opens so I have it Position Contrained to the jaw and upper lip with a varying amount of weight so it follows the jaw the amount I want it to. But, of course by doing this I lose manual control of the controller for the corner of the mouth (image below. excuse the skinning, its not done yet). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/1623/face8gl.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

lkruel
03-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Hey, I'm not sure what software you're using but my suggestion would use a null node above the corner of the mouth and have that be the child of the jaw and parent of the controller.

So if you move the jaw you'll move the null which in turns moves the control, but you still retain control of the control.

Hope that makes some sense.

-LK

edit : just read it's a Max question, duh. Should still work in max.

Maxim_311
03-25-2006, 12:09 AM
Hey, I'm not sure what software you're using but my suggestion would use a null node above the corner of the mouth and have that be the child of the jaw and parent of the controller.

So if you move the jaw you'll move the null which in turns moves the control, but you still retain control of the control.

Hope that makes some sense.

-LK

edit : just read it's a Max question, duh. Should still work in max.

That worked, Thanks. Simple solution and I simply didn't think of it. Thanks again.

eek
03-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Add the position constraint to the object, in is 'available' slot in the controllers list of the motion panel. Assign it a positon_XYZ controller. Set it active in the controller list.

3DQUAKERS
03-28-2006, 01:57 PM
The parenting solution is the best, but make sure you take advantage of List Controllers. They are the best rigging feature in MAX.

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2006, 01:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.