PDA

View Full Version : bones or blend shape for facial animation

marcury
12-22-2002, 05:29 PM
hi, I am thinking with how system can I animate my head blend shapes or bones , and I am seeing that bones are better because with bones you can paint exactly how you want to move that zone and with set driven keys you have the same sliders you could have with blend shapes, maybe I will do with bones because to close and open eyes in blend shapes how you do it if you want to keep the same smile for example, can you say to blend shape that only affect some vertices? for example close and open eyes always I want without affect the mouth , and what you think about do it with bones?

Lomax
12-23-2002, 03:07 PM
You could also use clusters. They would act similar to bones (you paint the weights just the same).
As far as blendshapes, I think everything is relative. If you have all your shapes on the same blendshape node, one shape will not mess up another. If they are on different nodes, that's another story...

Tudor
12-23-2002, 03:35 PM
How patient are you?
I use only blendshapes apart from open/close jaw, and sometimes the eyelids for cartoon characters.. Trying to find a way to do that with morphs aswell..

Bones and such takes way much longer to do. Blendshapes are easy and if you need an additional shape, then just make it.. Combine as many of the basic shapes you already have and create a new one out of that.

But then ofcourse.. If you want to change the base shape.. For example add faces or just make the nose bigger, you often have to redo all morphtargets :/

One tip is to use blendshapes to deform the face and on top of that have a wire deformer (isnt that what it's called?... Don't have Maya here.) that you can use to do some more tweaking.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.