PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Paint Skin Weights Tool

Brinny
03-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Hello, I'm currently learning 3D in a college course, so I'm pretty new to it. I was told by my student teacher that this was a useful site. We're using Maya 7.0.
There is one problem which keeps arising. I'm currently weighting my skin to the bones using the "Paint Skin Weights Tool". When painting on my model, it seems as though some of the faces in the area I was working on will disappear. It doesn't happen constantly, but once it starts it continues for quite a while.
So, is there anyway to fix or avoid this problem? Once it starts, I close down Maya and reopen my project (unsaved) and try at it again, usually to no avail.
Any help or advice offered would be very appreciated. And don't hesitate to ask if you need more information on my model, etc.

Thanks,
Brinny

Brinny
03-30-2006, 05:46 PM
I don't want to seem pushy, but.. Please, anything you could offer on this would be a great help. I'm at a loss.

nottoshabi
03-30-2006, 11:31 PM
When you say disapering do you mean, you can see throw the modle? Painting skin weights should not make anything disapier. I thinck it might be a hardware issue not a software issues. Maybe your vidio card is a little old or burned out. I'm not using 7 so I dotn know if they changed anything to effect that but from 6.5 it does not do that.

volXen
03-30-2006, 11:32 PM
Where do the "lost" faces go? If vertices suddenly jump to the scene origin itīs a problem with weight normalisation: your overall weight has become bigger than one for them. Try the noramlize weights command and see if this helps...

mr_fett
05-24-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm experiencing the same problem. I recently created a character in 6.5 with no problems. I just got Maya 7.0 up and running and now whenever I try to paint skin weights, faces disappear. There is no tearing or stretching, they are just gone. Sometimes undo will put the faces back, sometimes they're gone for good. I'm importing the geometry from another program, but I delete the history, freeze the transformations, merge vertices, and run cleanup to sterilize the mesh. I installed the 7.0.1 patch yesterday, but it didn't seem to help. I tried the weight normalization thing and that didn't work either. Any more suggestions out there?

underearth
05-24-2006, 07:42 PM
i suggest you to immediatly read the stick thread on first page of this maya character setup forum .."Tips For Binding SSkin Weights" and most of yous problem will be solved and use two scripts one "cometSaveweight.mel" by michael comet and another skinningTools.mel by David Walden. www.davidwalden.com.
99.99 problems will be gone and one strong advice never remove weights always add weight..

mr_fett
05-25-2006, 04:40 PM
There is some good stuff in the sticky, but I'm pretty sure what I'm experiencing is a bug in Maya 7 and 7.0.1. I think I figured out what causes it, though. I have a wacom tablet and whenever I try to use the mouse to paint weights, faces disappear. However, as long as I'm using the wacom pen to paint weights, I experience no problems.

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2006, 04:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.