PDA

View Full Version : displacement map problems

menocid
03-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Hey guys.I started using ZBrush last night, I got the basic modelling techniques figured out), but I can't create a displacement map.
First of all, I know you are tired of hearing about displacement problems, but I(think) Ihave folowed a good tutorial(i got the link from a ZBrushCentral thread).

Here's what I did:

I have a .obj ( a model of a hand), just basic poly shape, no smoothing
1. I created a new ZBrush document, then Tool>Import>hand.obj, then turn on Edit mode
2.Rotate it at a nice angle, then Tool>Texture>GUVTiles
3.Tool>Morph target>Store MT
4.Tool>Geometry>Divide(4 times), and also checked the SUV
5.Here i did some test bumps in the mesh, gave the mesh a little detail
6.Drop Subdivision level back to 1, the Tool>Morph target>Switch
7. Tool>Displacement>DPRes up to 2048>Create DispMap
I think this is a point where something didn't work as it should have, because in the tutorial that got me through theese steps, the alpha map icon changed from white to semi-transparent, although I'm not sure this is a problem...my alpha icon remained white)
8.Alpha>Flip V, then Alpha>Export (to brush00.tiff file)
9.Tool>Export>Export>zhand.obj
10.Imported the .obj to 3DMAX, added a MeshSmooth modifier and then added the brush00.tiff on the Bump channel)
11 Render, I see the smooth hand, but NO bumps that i've created using ZBrush

What am I doing wrong?!

LemonNado
03-24-2006, 05:54 PM
I don;t know anything about max but there is a great tut about that at zbrushcentral. Search and ye will find. It's under tutorials as I recall... But just use the search function.
Good Luck
Rainer

menocid
03-24-2006, 06:02 PM
I have all the 3dmax threads found at ZBrushCentral saved on my computer for easy browsing...Almost all of them skip the export part of the displacement map, because the people that posted the thread have problems in other parts of the process(like UV's not matching..etc...).

I am sure it's not a MAX problem because the exported texture/map is blank(white).So I am doing something wrong in ZBRush.
10x for the reply though...

eblondin
03-24-2006, 06:42 PM
------edit

eblondin
03-24-2006, 06:46 PM
when you generate a new displacement map it doesn’t select it, you have to select it manually and export it, so when the alpha remains white, that is the default alpha not your new displacement map

menocid
03-24-2006, 07:04 PM
10x alot.I just tried that, and (of course) you were correct!.Zbrush only created the map, but it did't set it as current.I selected it in the list, exported, and voila!
10x alot and sorry for the headaches :D

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2006, 07:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.