PDA

View Full Version : AE Sound problem

2creative
03-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am new here...but would really be glad if anyone can help me out with this AE problem. I am using AE 6.5. I have all image sequences, background, sound etc. in place. But when I render the project as an avi file, the wav sound added in AE doesn't play at all. However, if I preview the sound in AE, it plays perfectly fine. So, I think there is no problem with the sound file itself. May be I'm doin something wrong. Are there any sound related render settings that need to be looked at? If anyone knows what I could be doing wrong...please help me at this.

Thanks.

Khalor
03-24-2006, 07:14 PM
Make sure you tick the 'Audio Output' box in the render settings. 'tis a common mistake for people not overly familiar with After Effects.

Hope that helps!
:thumbsup:

2creative
03-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Hi,

Thanks a lot, Khalor...that helped:) . But I have another problem...well two actually.

1) Now the sound plays slower than the actual animation. Well, it's actually a Maya file which I've synchronised with sound. Now I'm rendering it in AE 6.5 as an avi. I did try keeping the audio settings same as that of the file itself (22kHz, 16 bit, mono). I have kept the frame rate as 24fps in both Maya and AE.Yet this problem persisted.

2) There is a sequence of 1000 tif images that I've imported in AE (so that the animation matches the 1000 frame duration of the sound file). Yet when I import the tif files they occupy only 800 frames...even though it is a complete animation of 1000 frames i.e. no part has been cut or left out. But the sound still occupies 1000 frames in AE. As a result the animation and sound don't get synchronised... and the sound runs slower than the animation and continues even after it.

Help Please!:sad:

Khalor
03-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Both of those problems sound like they could be frame rate related - right-click your animation footage/tif sequence in the project window, and go Interpret Footage > Main. Change the frame rate so it conforms to 24fps.

I'd say that's the problem for 2), but I'm not sure I understand you for 1). The sound plays slower... so it finishes after the animation, or the actual pitch/speed is slowed?

Hope that helps.
:thumbsup:

2creative
03-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Well, that helped...besides...I needed to make some changes in the Time stretch option for a few layers...so that worked.:thumbsup:

But unfortunately the other problem still persists. :sad: What I really meant was that even though,
-the frame rate of the actual animation in Maya is the same as the frame rate of the image sequence files imported in AE / the AE project (24fps),
-the number of frames of the sound file and the imported image sequence is the same (1000 frames),
YET, I am not able to make the sound match or move with with the animation/lip movements. It either goes slower or faster than the animation.

I have kept the sound settings in AE as the same as that of the actual sound properties (22kHz, 16 bit, mono). Is it correct or should I use the default settings provided by AE?

Just to clear any doubts, When I animated the Maya scene, I had synchronised it with this sound file and it plays perfectly well there...i.e. sound matches or moves with the animation/lip movements.

Please shed some light on this. Thanks in advance.

beenyweenies
03-26-2006, 11:44 PM
Well, that helped...besides...I needed to make some changes in the Time stretch option for a few layers...so that worked.:thumbsup:

But unfortunately the other problem still persists. :sad: What I really meant was that even though,
-the frame rate of the actual animation in Maya is the same as the frame rate of the image sequence files imported in AE / the AE project (24fps),
-the number of frames of the sound file and the imported image sequence is the same (1000 frames),
YET, I am not able to make the sound match or move with with the animation/lip movements. It either goes slower or faster than the animation.

I have kept the sound settings in AE as the same as that of the actual sound properties (22kHz, 16 bit, mono). Is it correct or should I use the default settings provided by AE?

Just to clear any doubts, When I animated the Maya scene, I had synchronised it with this sound file and it plays perfectly well there...i.e. sound matches or moves with the animation/lip movements.

Please shed some light on this. Thanks in advance.

If I understand you from your first line above, you are doing time stretch operations? It goes without saying that this will throw the audio out of sync, especially if your comp structure is set up in any funky manner.

2creative
03-27-2006, 04:45 AM
Hi Beenyweenies,

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm a new user of AE...so I overlooked that...

The reason I used Time Stretch option was because the tif sequence of 1000 frames occupied only 800 frames when imported in AE. However the sound occupied the complete 1000 frames. Since it's a monologue, the duration for which the sound runs must match with the duration for which the lip movements take place. (Refer my previous posts to this thread, pt.2, in my discussion with Khalor).

I'd really be glad if you could help me out at this with some suggestions. How can I synchronise the sound and animation/ lip movements...in AE? It's really not going together.

Thanks in advance.

cgeveryday
03-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Khalor and BeenyWeenies are right. You have started a project at one frame rate and brought footage in at a different frame rate.

Make a new compostition (Go to COMPOSITION then NEW COMPOSITION.)

In the settings window that has just popped up - choose the 'PAL D1/DV, 720 X 576' Preset. Make sure your 'Duration' is 1000 frames.

Now Import your footage.

Right click on your footage and go 'Interpret Footage' then 'Main'

Now make sure the footage is set to 25 Frames Per Second !

Now you can drop your footage into the timeline and it will match because both the footage and the comp are the same same frame rate.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TIME STRETCH YOUR FOOTAGE in this instance

scrimski
03-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Khalor and BeenyWeenies are right. You have started a project at one frame rate and brought footage in at a different frame rate.

Make a new compostition (Go to COMPOSITION then NEW COMPOSITION.)

In the settings window that has just popped up - choose the 'PAL D1/DV, 720 X 576' Preset. Make sure your 'Duration' is 1000 frames.

Now Import your footage.

Right click on your footage and go 'Interpret Footage' then 'Main'

Now make sure the footage is set to 25 Frames Per Second !

He gots a 24 fps sequence, so why the heck should he use 25 fps? And on which point somebody mentioned PAL or non square pixels?

2creative, right click your footage, interpret footage at the right fps. In the project window drag the sequence icon on the button next to the left of the trash bin button(the third from the left in the bottom line of the project window). This will create a new composition with the right dimensions, right pixel aspect and duration. Add your sound file render(do not forget to check Audio Output). Watch out for the inpoints of the layers in your composition,they have to match

2creative
04-04-2006, 05:43 AM
Thanks a lot everyone. Discussions with you all have definitely helped me and given me better understanding of AE. There were subtle aspects I was otherwise overlooking ...
However, now my movie is running ABSOLUTELY FINE!:thumbsup: :bounce:

Khalor, Beenyweenies, cgeveryday and Skrimsky.....thanks again...I really appreciate your forthcoming attitude to help a begginer like me...I definitely benefited from it. :applause:

And last but not the least...Many applauses to the pioneers of various Forums on Cgtalk:applause:...
This is a great learning ground for novices, especially when books and tutorials don't exactly help.

GOD BLESS!

cgeveryday
04-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Thats great 2Creative. A bit of a mistake on my part tho:D. (Thanks for the nice correction scrimski)

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2006, 08:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.