PDA

View Full Version : Shave and a Haircut Problem

braam
03-24-2006, 01:07 PM
I've got a couple of Shave questions... the documentation is not thorough enough.

From Shave and a Haircut version 3.6 Manual:

How Textures are Handled

There are slightly different texturing requirements depeding on whether you are going to be rendering with the shave renderer or using Maya's. In the case of a Shave render, the textures are sampled at the time that the instance object is applied. If there is a texture applied to the source object the texture will automatically be sampled. If there is no texture then the instances will render with the hair color you selected in the Attributte Editor.

I managed to create a very nice looking grass, but they are too flat. So, I created a thin cone with enough height subdivisions to use as source instance object. It worked, but I experienced some color/shading problems. I don't want to use Geometry as Instance Render Mode as I need to render out a lot of grass.

"If there is no texture then the instances will render with the hair color you selected in the Attribute Editor."

Does that mean that the default lambert shader should be assigned to the source object?

Do you have any idea how to setup in order to use shaveNode's built-in shading attributes instead of using source object (the unit object created to be instanced) shader to control the appearance of instancers?

What is vertexShader? Is it useful?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Braam

Lomax
03-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Shave uses its own shading system by default. As far as I know, the only way it will use a Maya shader, is if you apply it directly to the display mesh

braam
03-24-2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the tip, Lomax! It is weird that we can assign shader to the display mesh. I did, but you can see it if Instance Render Mode is set to Geometry, but not to Buffer.

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2006, 01:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.