PDA

View Full Version : Do you need a tablet to paint in digital

DavidStokes
03-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Do you need a tablet to paint digital?

I have one but it's not really that good and i find it hard to use. Do you think you can get hte same effect with a mouse?

YoYoYohan
03-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Some time ago i saw a really nice work done with the mouse. Can't remember where i saw it, but it's prove that it's possible :)

But with some practise a paint tablet will be better.

Vahn
03-24-2006, 12:46 PM
i have painted with a mouse for over a year .. it can be done but takes a lot of time to learn ... since i got my tablet now i wouldnt ever want to do anything with the stupid mouse again :P

quadrille
03-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Personally I can't paint a stickman with a mouse, but there seems to be people who can get good results with a mouse. Like this one for instance (by Daniel Hammonds):

http://www.wade.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/FinalPic.png

Here's a link to the tutorial:

http://www.wade.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tutorial1.htm (http://www.wade.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tutorial1.htm)

Rebeccak
03-24-2006, 01:36 PM
You need a tablet so that you don't get carpal tunnel syndrome ~ seriously. Painting with a mouse is just inviting ergonomic problems, and if you can afford to purchase a tablet, then I would strongly advise it for health reasons if you are going to do any serious amount of painting. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

DavidStokes
03-24-2006, 02:03 PM
What would be a good entry level tablet? I have got one but i want to see what you guys would recommend.

su
03-24-2006, 02:07 PM
you can never go wrong with a wacom.

DavidStokes
03-24-2006, 02:12 PM
what about this one

http://www.tablet4u.co.uk/product.html?ItemID=592&PHPSESSID=c85e8b87a2eaea0593663e043881c78d

DavidStokes
03-24-2006, 02:21 PM
just to add.. this is the one i have now but i dont use that much

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/tft-monitor/trust-1200-wireless-tablet/430253/

Vahn
03-24-2006, 02:38 PM
the intuos3 is very nice ... if you can afford that go for it :D

Corvax
03-24-2006, 02:50 PM
hi David

Its funny you should bring up those two tablets, because I own both.. I would say if you have the greens to spend, go with the wacom, it is beyond compare. the wacom is very comfortable, feels natural to use and works amazingly well with every app I tested it in, and don't forget that it looks incredibly sexy compared to all other tablets out there :D .

I found that the Trust tablet sometimes acted a little eradical, where the wacom is very stabile, also the Trust uses batteries, the wacom does not, and then there is the fact that it took me about 6 months to brake the pen on the trust :sad: .
all that being said the trust is cheap and it will allow you to start painting digitally.

-- David René

BruceAzevedo
03-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Hi there.I too own a Trust like yours and,just like corvax,I broke after a while(did u brake the...metal "thingy",or whatever it's called in english,where u put the battery).I had it fixed,to keep a long story short,and when my pen nib got worn out,I went to the custumer support,at their site,and instead of pen nibs they sent me a new pen,different from the other,much more confortable AND without the easy-to-break-metal-thingy-where-you-put-the-battery.They where pretty quick,too.

Anyway,although I'd take a Wacom anyday,the Trust tablet is still better than a mouse.

Take care.

aldog
03-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Like everyone else, I suggest a wacom. I have I think the 2nd smallest graphite one and like it very much, although I wouldn't mind a bigger one.

Iridium
03-24-2006, 04:57 PM
I recently transitioned from a mouse to a wacom 6x8 intuos3, and I can honestly say without a doubt I would never want to go back. It took me about 2 weeks to become comfortable with the tablet, however my workflow has improved (not to mention the tingling feeling in my wrist at the end of the day went away).

TheFirstAngel
03-24-2006, 05:19 PM
mousepainting is possible it takes practice, patience and its unnessesary hard. i paited with a mouse for over 3 years before i had my money together for a new tablet. i work on a wacom cintiq 21ux today wich is a natural translation from hand to pixels.
mousepainting has also lot to do with setiings and of course practicing. highsensitive muse is harder to handle but grants you better dynamics. as for the handling itself sum tips. if its a mechanic mouse, clean it as often as possible or buy an optical mouse.
if its wireless, make sure the acu always is loaded. i used one forgot charging too often went back to wired. as for mice itself, keep it clean always.
you can calibrate speed. you can work with seletcion tools to generate gradients. those usually look too clean but thats just base values. once they match, you can work on low opacity and start deine bumps, specularity, fx lights. worx with mouse.
if you cant afford a new tablet, check ebay. with a bit of luck you can find a cheap used one.
good luck and have fun. :)

werd
03-24-2006, 09:12 PM
mouse painting may be possible but I thinks its pointless, unless you realy cant afford a tablet. So much more effort must go into your work and the pressure sensitivity on a pen is so handy. I tried painting with a mouse before I got my tablet and it was rough. Im using probly the crappiest tablet available and it is still an improvment over the mouse for me (plus I got it realy cheap).

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2006, 09:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.