PDA

View Full Version : Tequila Scream - For LW9?

DMack
03-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows if Chepe is still working on Tequila scream? Will there be a solid version for LW9?

Whilst I'm here, does anyone know of another good network rendering solution that does NOT charge per CPU (Man that bugs me when the host software don't charge for nodes!) that is still active?

Thanks

dalecampbelljr
03-24-2006, 03:26 PM
epicsoft MULE
www.epicsoft.net

DMack
03-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Thanks. Mule is a per CPU solution. It does look good though.

Anyone know a solution that is NOT per CPU costed?

plotz
03-24-2006, 06:09 PM
I've heard this one mentioned many times. I don't use it myself.

http://www.butterflynetrender.com/butterflynet1.html

tais
03-25-2006, 01:28 AM
I think RoyalRender do that and Lightwave is in da list... but don't know if it is doing that for Lightwave...
The 9.x compatibility is not sure btw...

DMack
03-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Both of the above are per cpu costed. It's amazing, Tequila Scream seems to be the best option by a LONG way, inexpensive, flexible and no charge per CPU. I really hope it is still being developed. It seems like such an obvious choice that I'd have thought he'd get everyone's order who has a render farm! Why pay per cpu?

ZeKK
03-25-2006, 12:44 PM
It s great:thumbsup:

schlaga
03-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Try Dr. Queue. It's an Open Source renderfarm manager and therefore not limited to CPUs. And its crossplatform.

Unfrotunately, I haven't tried it before, so I can't actually tell you if its a good solution. It seems to be a bit tricky to set up.

http://www.drqueue.org/

uncommongrafx
03-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Agreed!
The cost per cpu conundrum has been the driving force behind the use and purchase of a controller. TS is...was?... my controller of choice because it doesn't dictate how many cpus I'm allowed.

I sure hope Chepe has time to update this. Actually, I hope he fixes it so we can SELECT the configs as opposed to them being hardwired: this is the crux of the problem anytime NewTek changes those names.

Outside of that is Spider but it's a LOT more high maintenance than TS.

tais
03-26-2006, 02:17 PM
TS seriously need a strong update...
...but Chepe seem to be too busy or he don't think it's necessary...

Only the version compatibility is done... but not for all part of the program (scene rewriting etc...)
There is too much improvement i would like to see in TS. It look like a shareware to me.

For me TS look like discontinued, no news, no answer, no improvement, no total 8.5 compatibility.

I'm looking for another renderfarm app.

gumfx
03-26-2006, 06:43 PM
i prefer Smedge, but I am not sure whether it charges per CPU or not

DMack
03-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Smedge is yet another pay per CPU.

I'd really like ot hear from Chepe -I did email him but got no reply to date. If I could have the TS like it worked under LW7 (when it could change content directories automatically) except for LW8.5 and LW9 I would be very happy - I'd have absolutely no problem paying for the update - I see no reason why he should feel ANY need to do the update for free.

Chepe, I'd really like to see TS brought up to date and fully compatible with LW8.5 and LW9!

Please Chepe! :thumbsup:

PixelInfected
03-29-2006, 08:36 AM
have you tried lightnet, is not perfect, but is free, and work enought fine for me, i use it for many month and i think is a good solution, it build config path for lwsn and must be compatible with lw9, but i can't test it, i'm not a beta user.

DMack
03-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks for that. I'll have a look. Do you know, is it still being developed? Website looks like it was done in 2004?

PixelInfected
03-29-2006, 08:15 PM
i know that joe did an update to keep it compatible with lw8, and i can tell you that is compatible with latest version of lw, no more is possible for me.

SteveH
03-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Guys - reading this thread got me to wondering what exactly these network rendering programs do that Screamernet doesn't? Ok I mean besides work. ;-)

I've been using the free Tuquila Node program and Screamnernet and once I FINALLY figured out how to make it all work - it seems to work great. What will these other programs - like Mule do above and beyond native Ligtwave? Thanks for the info.

PixelInfected
03-29-2006, 08:53 PM
you can add scene to render without stop render (with standard network render you must do, and if your render is a long render, mean you risk to lose time)
group cpu, to optimize and manage different group of scenes, when you work in a complex work environment you could have different work in render, and with different priority, and assign more or less cpu to scenes
reorder scenes, delete and check scenes
check of frames rendered (if happened a problem normal newtek network not check if file is saved)
mail sending of state of render (to know what happened in office without to be in office).
splitting and rebuilding complex images across the lan
checking of plugin path
stop and restart cpu automatically, if node crash or computer crash and check.
change the settings of scene render from render manager without open lw
stop and restart scene in different moment, pause the scene and restart.

just to start to tell some advantage...

DMack
03-30-2006, 08:26 AM
Yeah, the ability to drop a new scene on, with a different content directory and just forget it - fantastic.

You know it seems utterly amazing that so many companies seem to leave this crucial part to 3rd parties (messiah does as well). I mean it can't be that difficult to code and the benefits are enormous/ Screamernet hasn't been updated since what version 4?!?!

Hey maybe this is a question for Kurtis - Is the network rendering going to be changed in the near future?

PixelInfected
03-30-2006, 08:43 AM
you must ask a different question :
is lw9 the time to re add stealthnet?

for who not know what is stealthnet, i tell you.
stealthnet was an advanced network render manager that appair with lw6.5, it was in the lw6.5 distribution disk, developed by bob hood.
disappair with lw7, come back like stealthnet+ in lw7.5 (but not more resonance around that) and disappair with lw8.
we can see with lw9?
i used it for a long times, and i think was a good product, very near for quality to backburner of discreet ( i use it with combustion for netrender, and is fantastic).

DMack
03-30-2006, 11:08 AM
I'd forgotten all about that! It's very fuzzy but I seem to remember a hideous setup or something that reduced its effectiveness significantly - certainly at the time I seem to remember thinking that it wasn't worth it - can't remember exactly what it was but YES, a re-look at it so that it works good and efficiently and including it with LW9 would be welcome news.

Any news on this front Kurtis?

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2006, 11:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.