PDA

View Full Version : Something making noise in my computer

kwshipman
12-22-2002, 05:50 AM
There is something that is making noise inside my computer. it is intermitent, seems more prodominate when under load, but it could be my imagination. When I take off the side panel it will go away making it difficult to pinpoint. any sugestions on how to find it and how to fix it?

Gyan
12-22-2002, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by kwshipman
There is something that is making noise inside my computer. it is intermitent, seems more prodominate when under load, but it could be my imagination. When I take off the side panel it will go away making it difficult to pinpoint. any sugestions on how to find it and how to fix it?

That syncs with your [variable] fans going faster (while under load/activity).

Maybe your side panel is a bit loose causing it to vibrate, a silly guess not knowing your case setup and all.

kwshipman
12-22-2002, 03:12 PM
Probably should have given some specs first, huh?

1 - 120mm adjustable fan in the front
1 - 80mm fan on the side
2 - 80mm fan on the back
Volcano 7 heatsink with variable speed fan - I think this is the cause but cant find proof

Other thoughts, I have heard of videocard fans rubbing on the card, has anyone experienced this, MSI gForce 4 ti4200

For a while I thought that it was my HD, but recently I have noticed the light doing a lot of activity without a change in sound.

Checked the side pannel as you suggested everything seems tight :shrug:

marc
12-22-2002, 03:30 PM
leave the cover off your case. if the noise stops thats the problem. and do same with side panel don't clip it in. if it stops making noise then u know you haven't clipped it in properly. otherwise test your hardware its either fan or harddrive is on the blink. i've never had a hardrive last more than 2 years. the one i'm running now has lasted a year so we'll see.

halo
12-22-2002, 05:07 PM
mice

eX-one
12-22-2002, 10:16 PM
I have an intermittent buzzing coming from my system from time to time also. In my case,it's dust buildup on the fans/heatsinks ... blasting it all with canned air helps in my case, you might want to try that on yours.

dvornik
12-23-2002, 12:12 AM
Is there a way to run the heatsink fan at a constant speed? If temperatures are in an acceptable range you may not need variable speed.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.