PDA

View Full Version : Pirates Poster

MatthewRodgers
03-24-2006, 02:26 AM
http://www.photopia.co.nz/gallery/Fabio/pics/4EJYMzQRpSs1gNUj.jpg

Hey all.
Doing an illustration paper and the assignment is to do a poster for a movie. I chose pirates of the caribbean.
I wanted to capture the feeling of romantic freedom - the appeal of the pirate lifestyle.
any comments welcome and appreciated. Ill keep it updated in this post so you dont have to scroll down every time .

The more feedback / advice / criticism the better so i'm throwing it up here.
State the obvious cos in my staring at it i may well not have noticed the obvious :)
thanks everyone :thumbsup:
matty

MatthewRodgers
03-24-2006, 02:26 AM
http://www.photopia.co.nz/gallery/Fabio/pics/3BduZOuRldZpDu9W.jpg

ok here's the working version again - just for wheni update that first post :)

werd
03-24-2006, 05:46 AM
It looks good, the one thing that bothered me though is that the background is slanted. Its kinda cool that way but it also throws me off a bit. Looks like its gonna be a realy nice painting, good luck with your assignment.

Overchord
03-24-2006, 10:29 AM
Looks good - excellent scene to pick :thumbsup:

Currently the water seems a bit dark and murky compared to the sky which is already fairly well lit.

Shawshank
03-24-2006, 10:16 PM
nice one cave man!

i really like the focus on the depp's head. and you captured his makeup just right...

there are a couple of things i picked up on

flowing cape could bust out of the frame - at the moment it finishes right on the edge of the painting kinda awkwardly cropped.

something funny's happening with the perspective... i cant work out what it is. my gut is saying maybe your horizon line is too high... perhaps you could reduce the slant a tad. either that or make Depp lean a bit more too.... 'scuse my nautical terms, (i dont know what its called) perhaps you could reangle that bit of wood holding the sail (the one with the loops on it) so it was coming towards the viewer a bit more than it currently is.

also remember that you ocean will reflect the sky &clouds , those hills and the other ship on the horizon (depending on how stormy the sea is).

i really like that lighter patch of cloud floating up through the frame - it draws your attention to his face really well... at the moment it looks like that lighter patch was smoke coming from the ship on the horizon, maybe its a ship that he's just plundered...??

keep at it - its going to be great!!

MatthewRodgers
03-25-2006, 05:23 AM
Cheers guys,
thanks for taking te time for a big ol post shawshank.
Heaps of sugggestions there to keep me busy tonight.
I really hadnt noticed the cramped cape!
ill see what i can whip up and keep y'all posted :)

Tut
03-25-2006, 09:19 PM
hey bro,
looking cool as :)
Yeh the perspective seems a little funny to me too, but I'm not sure where or how to change it..? but looking down on that top mast at such a high angle I'm not even sure if you'd see a horizon line, might have to change the angle of the mast.
His top arm looks pretty long to me, bring the elbow up, should be about in line with his bellybutton and maybe could broaden out his shoulders a little more.. coming across sort of runty hehe.
Gid

arnocob
03-26-2006, 09:02 AM
:)
I like it,...
if you have to put a title or typo (poster) I suggest you to think about it now (where is gonna be, scale etc...), before adding others things.
Nice!
bye

MatthewRodgers
03-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Hey guys! thanks for the awesome responses. Its great that people are willing to go to so much trouble to spend some time and comment :)
thanks to you all.
Heres a development. working on making the clouds a little more realistic. Obvioulsy i havnt balanced out the colours yet, but thought id post it just to keep the thread tikking along :D

http://www.photopia.co.nz/gallery/Fabio/pics/lLRzHAM9sVaMx1kr.jpg

MatthewRodgers
03-26-2006, 12:39 PM
http://www.photopia.co.nz/gallery/Fabio/pics/bPGvK87ZEwWruUDA.jpg

Getting there, water looking a bit more unified, tho ill still have to do some adjustment layers to make it all sit back compared to Captain Sparrow.
Really gotta make a move on the FG elements soon so i wont be doing any more detail on the bg for a bit (unless someone points out a gigantic flaw that i cant stand to look at once i notice :P ).

Gotta do the flag right, his hand on the mast, more detail on the figure as a whole, figure out the bloody mast perspective, AND... as you suggested arnocob ... add the title block in. Ive had a low res version of it in already... its going at the bottom.

And dont worry guido, im gonna fix his arm and buff him up a little :) i know how you like em buff :D

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys. Without it i'd still be lurking around that first step moping, and then off watching tv instead. Though i gotta give huge thanks to Paul Tobin, my tutor. He rules.
ah well bedtime. i gots work 2moro.

nite all

matty

werd
03-27-2006, 07:55 AM
nice work! evrything is coming along nicely.

MatthewRodgers
03-28-2006, 06:37 AM
http://www.photopia.co.nz/gallery/Fabio/pics/UzMIy6uBEEVvCmSW.jpg

Ok the newest post.
Had a crash last night and lost a bunch of progress so its a small update tonight.
With tutors suggestions added in ive thickened and fleshed out the mast a little (little more to do though). Changed the arm (i still like that arm position - its the quirky almost effeminate way he often holds his arm during the film so i kinda wanted to keep it in as a character bit).
Then its just detailing on the body. I think i did it zoomed in too close - (this is going to be printed A1) so you cant see much of the detail from here i guess. Bad habit of mine :P

I guess ill post details from the finished version.
What else ... fixed the boots and pants a little,
I think ive made the mental switch from "rough" to "final version" and its making me tighten up and lose my eye. Gotta get my head around not doing that!
oh yeah the flag - really not happy with it. its obviously not working, but its a start

anyway back to wrk.
Am i getting there? i hope so :p
cheers guys

MatthewRodgers
03-28-2006, 12:09 PM
http://www.photopia.co.nz/gallery/Fabio/pics/4EJYMzQRpSs1gNUj.jpg

ok ideally i gotta drop this off at the printers sometime tomrorrow.
Bit confused in regard to the values - ie is it too dark? am i losing details? i never really was very good at this bit..
and that DAMN title block thingee :S
Arnocob said it but i kept putting it off cos i didnt wanna think about it. does it look not too bad where it is?
haha what an idiot.
almost forgot about it completely ha
ah well its been a huge learning experience.
thanks for all the feedback guys but keep it coming cos im not too concerned about handin - i already graduated but did this paper solely cos of a genius tutor who is a conceptual designer at weta. so i am gonna tweak it some after the print and hand in anyway - theres some things bugging me right now.
cool.
im off to bed
cavematty out

Sylanya
03-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Wow, this just looks great! I love the colors, and you really, truly captured Jack Sparrow. I makes me want to see the new movie really badly! Great work so far, this is coming along really well. Keep it up!

arnocob
03-28-2006, 10:47 PM
:)
Really good.
I can't stop to observe the different steps of the painting since 10 minutes, I am going up and down with the scroll button makes me crazy, thanks a lot!
bye

werd
03-28-2006, 11:45 PM
Awsome, It turned out realy nice:thumbsup:. What program did you use by the way?

danielh68
03-29-2006, 01:53 AM
Really nice job:thumbsup:

MatthewRodgers
03-29-2006, 03:01 AM
Thanks guys :D
Its all photoshop (with a wacom of course :P)
My tutor Paul got me into the swing of photoshop properly. This is the first digital illus ive been quite pleased with. And for the first time i did no part of it outside the computer - not even compositional thumbs. Which was a liberating experience.
Got a test print of a chunk of it at full size and it has showed up a bunch of things i hadnt noticed onscreen :s
next time im gonna get a test print a bit earlier, but i will still tweak this up over the weekend until i am happy enough to leave it be :)
thanks for the help everyone :D
Ill post a jpg with all the steps side by side so you dont have to scroll if you like :P

MatthewRodgers
04-17-2006, 09:50 AM
ok heres a progression jpg.

http://www.photopia.co.nz/gallery/Fabio/pics/6tFC9gXltHKEsRE3.jpg

handed in to tutor.
he was very happy with the overall feel and the top half, but said the bottom half was a bit weak. He was right
THe ocean was a rush job, the pants i made up on ht efly and the mast and especially the sail i simply ran out of time for.
but ill keep working on it and post it up when its looking a bit better again :D

CGTalk Moderation
04-17-2006, 09:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.