PDA

View Full Version : walk cycle

santosLord
03-24-2006, 02:58 AM
I have a quick question...

I just started animating again after 9 months of puter trouble. I have a walk cycle that runs for 49 frames. The thing is when I have the walk cycle in a loop the last frame there is a slight pause. I cleaned out my lines in the graph editor. Is there something I am doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

Lord Ryan Santos

gdimmrt
03-24-2006, 07:13 AM
That's because the last frame and the first frame are the same, effectively causing that pose to hold for 2 frames. What you need to do is go to the frame before the last frame and key it. Then delete keys on the last frame. Therefore if you have 49 frames before, then you should have 48.

I hope I made it clear.

Chris Bacon
03-24-2006, 04:11 PM
While were talking about walk cycles I have a shot where my character walks across a feild, the problem is I cant seem to keep his speed consistant, any advice..

chris

musashidan
03-24-2006, 09:41 PM
If you are animating the walk on 16's,8's or whatever then the timing should be uniform throughout.for instance:walk on 16's,frame0-contact,frame8-passing position/breakdown, frame16-contact,frame24-passing position,frame32-contact.........................etc......

also,have a look at the hip control trajectories making sure that the key spacing in the horizontal axis is even.

gdimmrt
03-26-2006, 12:22 AM
The hip's trajectory should be linear. you can just have a key at the begining and end of your walk path and set it the linear if you're just going from point A to B. You basically only need 2 key for your translate, not including up and down. That will keep it smooth because linear travels the same distance from one cycle to the next. Hope I made myself clear.

musashidan
03-26-2006, 11:59 AM
The hip's trajectory should be linear. you can just have a key at the begining and end of your walk path and set it the linear if you're just going from point A to B. You basically only need 2 key for your translate, not including up and down. That will keep it smooth because linear travels the same distance from one cycle to the next. Hope I made myself clear.

This is not the case as your characters acceleration/deceleration will be constantly changing on the ups/downs aswell as the start/finish of the walk.

for instance:the first step into the walk will gradually accelerate as the character gains momentum.The motion will also vary on the ups/downs as gravity will force the downs to speed up slightly.And at the very end the motion will come to a gradual stop as the character eases out of his last step.

gdimmrt
03-28-2006, 05:35 AM
This is not the case as your characters acceleration/deceleration will be constantly changing on the ups/downs aswell as the start/finish of the walk.

for instance:the first step into the walk will gradually accelerate as the character gains momentum.The motion will also vary on the ups/downs as gravity will force the downs to speed up slightly.And at the very end the motion will come to a gradual stop as the character eases out of his last step.

Yes, I said that only applies to the forward motion. You key the up and down separately with the cycle. I'm merely pointing out that the foward motion is more or less linear and you can have linear interpolation for that. That will eliminate any choppiness he was getting.

musashidan
03-28-2006, 07:42 PM
sorry,you're obviously animating the walk in place and then just animating the master controller from A to B.
This isn't how i animate so we were probably getting our wires crossed.I like to animate the walk going forward rather than in place.

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2006, 07:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.