PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray Crashing

Scott212
12-21-2002, 04:46 PM
I just downloaded the new final release of Mental Ray 1.5 - and it keeps crashing Maya. No matter if I try to auto load it or load while the program is up - it freezes right after it says how was compiled in the output window. I'm using Maya 4.5 Unlimited on Windows 2000. Anyone else experience this?

ryguy
12-21-2002, 05:06 PM
I'm using Windows XP- no problem with Mental Ray here. Are you actually rendering a scene or does it just crash when it loads Mental Ray?

If you are rendering a scene, are you using Global Illumination, Final Gather, or combined? If you are, check out how many photons you are using in the Mental Ray Globals and your light attributes. Keep them on a least 1000 when testing. With a final render, you can beef them up.

If not, I don't know what's going on. You might want to uninstall Mental Ray and re-install it. Make sure Maya is closed when installing.

~Ryan

Scott212
12-21-2002, 05:08 PM
thanks for the input - but it is just crashing when I load it. I think it has to do with the liscencing. I have a floating license. It mentions something about it in the docs, but I would think it would give me an error instead of crashing. Anyone else have any suggestions?

fanatic
12-29-2002, 08:12 PM
Hi Scott,

I, have the exact same problem here. Maya just hangs when I, try to load Mental Ray v1.5 in the plug-in section. I have no idea how to solve this....

:thumbsdow :annoyed:

Scott212
12-29-2002, 10:42 PM
I sure hope that someone knows what to do - I feel like I'm missing out on all the fun!

(B-HOLM)
12-30-2002, 08:39 AM
I had the same problem (mental ray freezing Maya under load).
But I fixed it with reinstalling. That's all there was to it! :)

fanatic
12-30-2002, 10:34 AM
b-holm,

Did you reinstall maya, Mental Ray or both ?

(B-HOLM)
12-30-2002, 10:36 AM
I uninstalled Mental Ray and installed it again :)
So I reinstalled Mental Ray

Scott212
12-30-2002, 04:50 PM
thanks for your reply but it still didn't work for me. I reinstalled it a few times and still no luck. Still freezes when it tries to load.

(B-HOLM)
12-30-2002, 04:57 PM
Have you been able to run the beta/test version of Mental Ray? Then you should be able to run the full one

Scott212
12-30-2002, 04:59 PM
well I did - I ran it (beta) for quite a while with no problems. Then one day it stopped loading and froze maya when it tried. The same thing happens with the full version. I figure it's probably something I changed on the machine, but I know I didn't change anything important in that time.

(B-HOLM)
12-30-2002, 05:02 PM
then the problem prolly lies in Maya itself.

brammelo
12-30-2002, 06:36 PM
I ran into the same kind of problem (4.5, Unlimited, win2000) but only when switching to a non-optimal screen resolution (using a high-end laptop). Weird, and annoying, 'cause you can't connect your laptop to a beamer - not at 1600x1200.

Guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for the solution.

Cheers,
BaRa

Undseth
01-11-2003, 05:44 AM
I have a sucky laptop with a ATI rage pro card. It has only 8 mb vram, but with win2k I have never had problems with MR 1.5.

However, it cannot handle 32bit colors, set by windows. It crashes/freezes if I set it so. So I use 24bit colors, and it works great.

Mighè
01-11-2003, 09:50 AM
try to modify the environment variables in windows, i had the same problem with FBX plugins: i put the path to FBX first on the maya_plugins variable line and it works. Try the same thing with MR.

clarix
01-13-2003, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Mighè
try to modify the environment variables in windows, i had the same problem with FBX plugins: i put the path to FBX first on the maya_plugins variable line and it works. Try the same thing with MR.

Hey guys I am facing the same prob on windows Xp. I just installed MR. and when I wanna load it in the plug in manager it freezes.

Mighe where can I modify the environment varialbles, you re my last hope!!!!!

stunndman
01-13-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by clarix
Hey guys I am facing the same prob on windows Xp. I just installed MR. and when I wanna load it in the plug in manager it freezes.

Mighe where can I modify the environment varialbles, you re my last hope!!!!!

Start->Settings->Control Panel->System * Advanced->Environment Variables...

Waboflex
01-13-2003, 11:56 AM
Try disabling all your other plugins before trying to load MR. I had the same problem (locking up when loading), solved it by doing this. I think it was probably the FBX plugs too...

Wabo.

clarix
01-13-2003, 05:08 PM
hey guys I tried everything, even reinstalled maya a few times, but nothing is workin for me:annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

clarix
01-13-2003, 10:42 PM
this here is the environment variable!!! What needs to be changed in here?????

G:\Applications\Maya\bin;G:\Applications\mental ray for Maya 1.5\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;G:\discreet\;G:\;"G:\Applications\NortonAntiVirus\Norton Ghost\":

stunndman
01-14-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by clarix
hey guys I tried everything, even reinstalled maya a few times, but nothing is workin for me:annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

do you have Zone Alarm installed and running? just in case - turn it off

clarix
01-14-2003, 02:16 AM
I dont know abt Zone alarm, but the last software that was installed on my mashine was Norton !!!

clarix
01-14-2003, 03:01 AM
I found this on AW website:

In Floating License environments that have both Maya Unlimited and
Maya Complete licenses, the mentalray for Maya plug-in may not load if
the MAYA_LICENSE environment variable is set to "-unlimited".
To correct this, set this environment variable to "complete" and remove any
MAYA_LICENSE setting from the Maya.env file.

where can I change from unlimited to complete????

andymac
01-14-2003, 10:50 AM
Have you tried ensuring you've got the current service pack for Win2000 (i.e. 3) installed? We're running MR under 2000 with SP3 and it seems to work fine..

Just a thought... ;-)

Kabab
01-14-2003, 10:57 AM
So whats new/updated/fixed in this version ??

andymac
01-14-2003, 11:06 AM
Unsure exactly - but it might be worth a try as a last resort.

Scott212
01-14-2003, 01:44 PM
I think you found the answer Clarix. They're refering to the C:\flexlm\aw.dat file. But correct me if I'm wrong, the file had a licence type specified in 4.0, but it doesn't seem to in 4.5.

clarix
01-14-2003, 02:35 PM
I am running Xp and not W2000, I am so lost I tried everything:annoyed:

clarix
01-16-2003, 03:51 AM
Does anyone run MR on XP?? and where can I turn off the Zone alarm?? that might fix my problem!!

poserpro
01-16-2003, 05:41 AM
hello,
just got maya 4.5 today and dld MR 1.5,

do you guys suggesting installing MR for this buld, seems some of you got crashing issue.

I am on PC, w2k.

thansk for reading.

pop

(B-HOLM)
01-16-2003, 05:57 AM
it never hurts to try atleast

stunndman
01-16-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by poserpro
hello,
just got maya 4.5 today and dld MR 1.5,

do you guys suggesting installing MR for this buld, seems some of you got crashing issue.

I am on PC, w2k.

thansk for reading.

pop

i fortunately have never experienced any troubles with mental-ray 1.5 for maya (on w2k sp3) - on the other hand i'm not using it in a production line - definitely give it a try - i think it's hot

zone alarm is a firewall software - if you have installed it you will find it in your programs menu

clarix
01-16-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by (B-HOLM)
it never hurts to try atleast

thanks stunndman I do not have zone alarm but this stupid Norton Anti Virus.

fanatic
01-16-2003, 08:18 PM
O.k. we are a few weeks further now and still no solution...

:annoyed:
I, think we have to wait for Alias to solve this...

darkdeathdreame
01-18-2003, 07:17 AM
I apologise if this was mentioned as I didn't really read the previous posts.

If you have FBX plugin installed and autoloaded then go to pluginPrefs.mel and disable it first as it will simply hang maya if not properly done. (I had a big headache figuring that out)

Start Maya and mentalray should load. To get FBX back in, first check the plugin-manager under maya and note the VERY FIRST plugin directory stated. The FBX mll MUST go to that directory.

Remember to check this EVERYTIME u install a new plugin that goes to another directory.

Hope this helps.

clarix
01-20-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by darkdeathdreame
I apologise if this was mentioned as I didn't really read the previous posts.

If you have FBX plugin installed and autoloaded then go to pluginPrefs.mel and disable it first as it will simply hang maya if not properly done. (I had a big headache figuring that out)

Start Maya and mentalray should load. To get FBX back in, first check the plugin-manager under maya and note the VERY FIRST plugin directory stated. The FBX mll MUST go to that directory.

Remember to check this EVERYTIME u install a new plugin that goes to another directory.

Hope this helps.

Wuts this Fbx plug in anyways??? I dont think I have it though, it still doesnt work

Heber
01-20-2003, 06:43 AM
hmm mr hangs for me ramdomly when i render? i have no idea why, loads fine...but sometimes it will start rendering then close down maya ?
i love maya but theres the little things in it that piss me off , hotkeys and markin menus stop working , renders only top when i specified perspective, . come on a|w if your gonna continue to succeeded fix the small dam things in your software chase the bigger addons later,,,,,wayy later (sorry for the rant)

clarix
01-20-2003, 03:21 PM
I have no idea y this stupid MR is not workin??????????????????????:annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

beaker
01-20-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by rayfusion
hmm mr hangs for me ramdomly when i render? i have no idea why, loads fine...but sometimes it will start rendering then close down maya ?
i love maya but theres the little things in it that piss me off , hotkeys and markin menus stop working , renders only top when i specified perspective, . come on a|w if your gonna continue to succeeded fix the small dam things in your software chase the bigger addons later,,,,,wayy later (sorry for the rant)

Have you tried reporting this to a/w support? A/w can't fix it if they don't know about the problem. You can't assume that they read every single post on the boards(or read any in the first place). If your paying for Maya and support you might as well use the service, thats what it is there for.

Also MI makes MR, not A/w. Though the connection is a joint venture between the two.

clarix
01-27-2003, 04:06 AM
hello again!

sicne MR doesnt wanna work for me, what other render apps do uou guys preferre??????

Cheers:beer:

Modulok
01-27-2003, 07:33 AM
MR works fine for me, the only problems I get is when I try and abort a render it crashes maya :thumbsdow

-Modulok-

stzaske
01-27-2003, 08:21 AM
ARGH! Add my name to the list. I am getting the EXACT same problem. Mental Ray installs fine, but when I click on the plug-in in the plug-in manager Maya locks up.

I'm using a FRESH install of:

Windows XP
Maya Complete
Mental Ray 1.5 Final.

I'll try disabling Norton Antivirus.

-=STZ=-

stzaske
01-27-2003, 08:29 AM
DOH! Nothing is going right. I cannot even browse AW's website. Is anyone able to surf to the AW Support areas? The whole site seems to be down.

GRRR! Nice support AW.

-=STZ=-

beaker
01-27-2003, 01:23 PM
>>sicne MR doesnt wanna work for me, what other render apps do uou guys preferre??????

I get along just fine with the default maya renderer. I tend to fake alot of stuff like dof and motion blur in post(MBlur being the biggest issue I have with the maya renderer).

>>DOH! Nothing is going right. I cannot even browse AW's website. Is anyone able to surf to the AW Support areas? The whole site seems to be down.

Many business websites shut down their sites for maintenance on sat/sun/mon morning.

clarix
01-27-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by stzaske
ARGH! Add my name to the list. I am getting the EXACT same problem. Mental Ray installs fine, but when I click on the plug-in in the plug-in manager Maya locks up.

I'm using a FRESH install of:

Windows XP
Maya Complete
Mental Ray 1.5 Final.

I'll try disabling Norton Antivirus.

-=STZ=-

man MR doesnt like us, me and u have the same problem, I even tried to disable Norton!!! still doesnt work:thumbsdow

clarix
01-27-2003, 03:21 PM
thanx beaker

stzaske
01-27-2003, 03:34 PM
I wish I was as lucky. I can't even use the default renderer anymore. My current file was started on a machine with Mental Ray 1.5 beta. And to be safe, I was saving the file in MA format.

Now I cannot install Mental Ray, because it crashes my system, AND I cannot use the default Maya render because when I try to render, I get an error that reads:

"File contains unknown nodes or data. To perserve this information, the current file type cannot be changed"

Then the render aborts. Seems Maya is trying to save in MB format before it starts rendering. I do not know how to solve this problem. Luckily (or not) I've been saving in ASC format, but I'm not sure I have the knowledge to read through the whole file and delete the offending nodes.

1. Does anyone know how to change the Maya render so that is does NOT save a temporary copy of the scene in MB format?
2. Does anyone know how to solve this problem with Mental Ray?
3. Does anyone know of a tool that removes ALL Mental Ray nodes in a Scene file? I'd LOVE to know of it. These Mental Ray nodes have cost me BIG problems in the past, and are doing so again. I SURELY wish AW would add a checkbox to the Optmize File dialog, a checkbox that says "Remove all Mental Ray nodes and information"

-=STZ=-

clarix
01-27-2003, 03:59 PM
U know although I just uninstalled MR and whenever I render I still get some errors, like you just mentioned some uknown MR nodes!!

There should be a way where we can delete all MR nodes and I think if we do that and install MR again it should be fine!!!

stzaske
01-27-2003, 09:34 PM
Clarix:

Let me explain the problem (as I understand it).

Mental Ray 1.5 final is broken. Some of us cannot install it. If your using a file that was worked on while the Mental Ray plugin was loaded, then your scene file now has Mental Ray nodes and data within it. I do not know of ANY tool that removes the Mental Ray data from your file.

If you are like me, and save the file in MA format (ASCII), then you're kind of lucky. You can load the file in a text editor and try deleting the information yourself. Of course, these files are HUGE, so finding and deleting all of the correct stuff will be difficult. The problem with MA format is that when Maya starts a render it first tries to backup your data in MB format, and because it sees this extra Mental Ray data, refuses to save in MB format. That causes the Render to fail.

If you've saved your scene in MB format, I suspect you'd be able to render using the default Maya renderer, however you would NOT be able to change formats to MA (again, because of the Mental Ray data).

The only solution I can see, for those of us that cannot load the final version of Mental Ray and saved our files in MA format, is to find a copy of the Mental Ray BETA, and go back to that. Now if I could only find a copy. I reformatted my hard drive trying to get this to work, and no longer have a copy. Either that, or have someone find a solution to the current Mental Ray 1.5 final crashing on load.

-=STZ=-

stunndman
01-27-2003, 10:24 PM
3. Does anyone know of a tool that removes ALL Mental Ray nodes in a Scene file? I'd LOVE to know of it. These Mental Ray nodes have cost me BIG problems in the past, and are doing so again. I SURELY wish AW would add a checkbox to the Optmize File dialog, a checkbox that says "Remove all Mental Ray nodes and information"

i have posted a script in the sticky mel script thread (on page 3) which removes mental-ray nodes - i remember that the guy who posted this also posted an update shortly after because 1.5 introduced new nodes - you might search for the update or figure out the missing node types

beaker
01-27-2003, 10:57 PM
>>stzaske

Why aren't you talking to a/w about this problem? An issue like this is something you should be calling support for so they can get it fixed.

stzaske
01-27-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by beaker
Why aren't you talking to a/w about this problem? An issue like this is something you should be calling support for so they can get it fixed.

Sorry I do not have the $149.00 it takes to ask them the question.

I have asked the question in AW's user forums...and here. but because AliasWavefront charges for support, I cannot afford to ask.

I'm just hoping someone who does have the money, and had the same problem as I will be kind enough to respond.

-=STZ=-

Jozvex
01-28-2003, 03:21 AM
Hi, I'm running Maya 4.5 with MR just fine on Win2k.

All you guys that are having crashes etc when you try to load MR, did you install Maya and MR to the default directories?

Because some people I know had that problem because they used custom installation paths. Mine are installed to:

Maya - C:\Program Files\AliasWavefront\Maya4.5\
MR - C:\Program Files\AliasWavefront\mental ray for Maya 1.5\

Also, try renaming your Prefs folder in:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\maya\4.5\prefs

To something else like 'prefsold'. Because I'm fairly sure that even when you reinstall Maya it keeps all your old preferences that could be causing the problems.

beaker
01-28-2003, 04:21 AM
stzaske -

Ok, I understand. Im just used to the pre maya 4 days when everyone got support because otherwise you had to pay back support if you ever wanted to upgrade/get back on support again. The price difference between full support and upgrade only support was only a few hundred so everyone just got full support. The price difference now is much larger and a/w doesnt charge people for all the lame stuff like before.

clarix
01-28-2003, 05:25 AM
stzaske

the thing is if I have MR installed and tried to load it once and now whenever I wanna open any scene file, Maya doesnt respond untill I delete MR and it works fine again.

stunndman
01-29-2003, 01:35 AM
somebody asked for help with the script that removes mental-ray nodes from a scene - so i looked up the original thread and packaged the latest version of the script - for more information check out the sticky mel script thread

i hope that helps

fanatic
02-28-2003, 08:08 PM
All,

***Please take note of the following***
AliasWavefront has released a new version of Mental Ray for Maya !
Mental Ray Version v1.5.1 can now be downloaded from their site.
Let's hope that our crashing problem is solved in this version:annoyed:

Check it out people !:thumbsup:

stzaske
03-03-2003, 05:21 AM
The patch does NOT solve the problem for me. I am working with a AW developer in an attempt to solve my problem, but so far he sounds stumped. It doesn't look good, but I'm happy at least they are looking into it.

I reccommend everyone that is having this problem to submit a defect report. The "Submit a Maya Defect" website is found here (http://aw.aliaswavefront.com/special/submit_a_relbug/cgi/product.cgi?product=Maya).

The more information we can give them, the better chance we have of them fixing this.

-=STZ=-

AsiEsLaVida
03-20-2003, 05:57 PM
It looks like there are two problems going on here. The first one is that Maya crashes on a render when using Mental Ray for Maya. The second one is actually loading Mrtomaya.mll (the plugin). I'm having the second problem and as someone already mentioned on this thread, it's an environmental variable problem. It says this in the Mental Ray installation guide. The variable MAYA_LICENSE needs to be changed from -unlimited to "complete" so that the plugin can read the proper license - that's how the guide tells us. Has anyone done this or knows how to change this variable ???????? I've tried a few things but I think you either know how to do this or you don't. Anyone?...... :shrug:

floguyep
03-20-2003, 09:06 PM
I'm having this same problem. (the crash-when-loading one)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.