PDA

View Full Version : IGN: Sony's PS3 to be Region-free

RobertoOrtiz
03-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Quote:
"In a QA session following the platform keynote address at GDC 2006 this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison confirmed what was heavily demanded for import gamers all over the world and yet previously thought unthinkable for a major corporation: the PS3 will be region-free for gaming."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/697/697656p1.html

-R

PaulAdams
03-23-2006, 03:09 PM
Ahh, its a start to an equal world.

eMPeck
03-23-2006, 03:21 PM
I can't believe. Same launch date all over the world, region free games (hopefully PSX, and PS2 legacy will be region free too)...

mummey
03-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Movies are still going to be region-coded though.

eMPeck
03-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Movies are still going to be region-coded though.
I've got region free dvd player ;) DVD is enough for me, I don't need movies on Blu-Rays, I don't plan to buy HDTV until HD television will launch in my country.

And I don't think I will play movies on a console, as I didn't played audio-cds on PSX (I've skipped PS2 though).

albedo4800hp
03-23-2006, 04:27 PM
I've got region free dvd player ;) DVD is enough for me, I don't need movies on Blu-Rays, I don't plan to buy HDTV until HD television will launch in my country.

And I don't think I will play movies on a console, as I didn't played audio-cds on PSX (I've skipped PS2 though).

You'll better buy an HDTV when you buy a PS3 otherwise you will be disappointed the jump in graphics quality will very likely only be really visible on a HDTV display, so before getting disappointed right at the start you should consider this.

SpiralFace
03-23-2006, 04:45 PM
I just pray that its not like the Xbox 360 where the system itself is region free, but the individual companys have the option of encodeing their own region codes on the games themselves.

Makes it even more of a pain in the @$$ to modify the systems since there is no standardized region code for all games, but one for pretty much every company willing to print one on.

Unless you want to play some of the cheaper end games that are'nt region encoded.

heavyness
03-23-2006, 05:49 PM
I just pray that its not like the Xbox 360 where the system itself is region free, but the individual companys have the option of encodeing their own region codes on the games themselves.

that is how it is working [link (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8637)]

Harrison responded in a rather interesting way – “The things that make a console region free are different from what makes games region free.” Voltage differences, plug styles and that sort of thing mean that there will naturally be different SKUs for different regions. But at the same time, software will be region free. It’s possible for developers to enforce whatever encoding and format limitations they want. “If they want to divide it, that’s their choice. But the concept is that content is region free.”

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2006, 05:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.