PDA

View Full Version : Link Constraint and DropDown List - dynamic update dropdown list with Link objects

GallenWolf
03-23-2006, 01:40 PM
Hi all!
I am developing an interface for the Link Constraint. What I want is to have a dropdown list with a fixed list of objects (e.g. Head, Shoulder L, Shoulder R, World Space, Foot_L et al.) so the animator can just choose where to have a link. I have suceed (sort of), but I in order to update my dropdown list, I am using a timeCallBack function. I have issues with this as

a) It seems to slow down the system a tiny bit.
b) timecallbacks do not seem to be saved with the max file?

Is there other stuff I should look into? I'm still very new to maxscript...

I've attached my test in the zip. The max file has a sample IK chain, with a circle. The circle contains some buttons to allow you to pick new links. The two point helpers are just to help me test stuff. If you want to see the dropdownlist update automatically, run the script to enable the callback function. Once enabled, the drop down list also allows the animator to immediately change the link at the current time by either choosing something from the dropdownlist or the scene.

My apologies - my coding is a little messy... this is a proof of concept test :)

Thanks!

Alvin

Bobo
03-23-2006, 03:27 PM
b) timecallbacks do not seem to be saved with the max file?

Right, but general callbacks (callbacks.addScript()) can be persistent. So you can "marry" the two callbacks, registering a persistent file post open callback that calls the function to register the timecallback.

GallenWolf
03-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Hey Bobo! Thanks that is a great idea - didn't think of it. Thank you! Will get your new dvd when I get my paycheck :-)

Regards,
Alvin

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2006, 12:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.